IGNORED

Name the year?

Tinmans Love Child

15 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I'd place it as the 93 match as well, hundreds locked out, gates going in,  mad old atmosphere that night in the open end! 

@Tinmans Love Child - that def wasn't our last league derby mind, we were playing them regularly in the 90s, think the last league derby at AG was the Christmas match in 2000? 

Defo 92/93 as I think that was first year of seating in EE and front of Williams? 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Thorn security but Nibor kit. Fairly sure that’s 92/93 Derby - 2-1 win, Morgan and Tins (p)

I'm pretty sure it was that match too. I remember Alexander getting sent off when we were 2-0 to the good and then Rovers had their best spell of the game a player short and Marcus Stewart pulled one back for them and things then got a bit nervy.

22 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I'm pretty sure it was that match too. I remember Alexander getting sent off when we were 2-0 to the good and then Rovers had their best spell of the game a player short and Marcus Stewart pulled one back for them and things then got a bit nervy.

my best memory of that match was not seeing a thing :D stuffed liked sardines in the open end that night, glorious! Do you remember if Malcolm Allison still the manager of the gas then!? 

I also reckon it’s the 2-1 win (goals from Morgan and Tinnion - one of his first games for us I think). Alexander’s sending off was for handball - quite a spectacular diving save. 

Memorable win with chants of “**** off Irene” echoing around the ground. 

59 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

my best memory of that match was not seeing a thing :D stuffed liked sardines in the open end that night, glorious! Do you remember if Malcolm Allison still the manager of the gas then!? 

That I can't remember so clearly but he could well have been, or he might've left not long before and John Ward might have been in his early management days there. I recall that Rovers were relegated that season as we were singing '**** Off, Irene, **** Off F Off Irene, F Off Irene, F Off Irene the Gas are going down'. And they did.

49 minutes ago, Offside said:

I also reckon it’s the 2-1 win (goals from Morgan and Tinnion - one of his first games for us I think). Alexander’s sending off was for handball - quite a spectacular diving save. 

Memorable win with chants of “**** off Irene” echoing around the ground. 

I think it was Tins home debut and his wife had just given birth too. Dunno why but recall ‘Tinnions bundle of joy’ headline on the EP

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

They only had 2 seasons in the old divison 2 then.

As far as i can remeber they finished bottom of the divsion by miles that year.

3 actually louie …..they went down in 93 ...their last game that season was at millwalls old den which was their last ever at the old den and the horsepunchers fluked a 3 nil win

On 27/10/2019 at 13:18, handsofclay said:

That I can't remember so clearly but he could well have been, or he might've left not long before and John Ward might have been in his early management days there. I recall that Rovers were relegated that season as we were singing '**** Off, Irene, **** Off F Off Irene, F Off Irene, F Off Irene the Gas are going down'. And they did.

yes! the **** Off Irene was deafening ringing around the ground. I've got one of those snapshot memories of the Dolman literally rising as one at half-time to sing it and the rest of the ground joining in - can't imagine the Dolman like that again :D 

And I think you're right about John Ward. This was definitely the season that Malcolm Allison was in charge of the 4-0 win over us (having not been at the 3-0 at Trumpton, this goes down as my worst away game as a city fan ever!!!) but seem to remember he didn't last all that long there. 

How different was football then!!

On 27/10/2019 at 11:00, handsofclay said:

Alexander being sent off... That'd narrow it down to about a dozen possibilities!

Archived