IGNORED

The Tinkering Has To Stop

Xiled

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Someone nearby me said he might have picked up a knock.  Wasn’t sure.  Understand the change then, although could’ve used Bailey Wright?  I would’ve probably done same though if TM injured.  Hope it’s nothing serious.  He’s been ace.

Not sure Baker was lucky to not get 2 yellows.

His booking was nailed on, but after that only 1 more foul I think and that wasn't a bookable challenge by a long way.

Had he done 4 or 5 more fouls there would be a case for a persistent fouling booking, but that wasn't so.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Someone nearby me said he might have picked up a knock.  Wasn’t sure.  Understand the change then, although could’ve used Bailey Wright?  I would’ve probably done same though if TM injured.  Hope it’s nothing serious.  He’s been ace.

Confirmed by LJ in the radio interview.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not sure Baker was lucky to not get 2 yellows.

His booking was nailed on, but after that only 1 more foul I think and that wasn't a bookable challenge by a long way.

Had he done 4 or 5 more fouls there would be a case for a persistent fouling booking, but that wasn't so.

Yeah...Think it was more a case of the first one was a really poor lunge that might’ve made the ref think red....then a needless late charge on Moore.  Add these together with an awful ref, Baker’s reputation....and I feared a double yellow.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wigan were far better than their lowly Championship position suggests. They pretty decent and did a good job at stifling our play. I’d  use that as an ‘excuse’ if I were looking for one.

I thought they recruited very well in the summer and thought they maybe dark horses for a play off spot .

Like many teams in this league they need a finisher. Their attack wasn’t very sharp .

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“Our home form is killing us”

Last six at home:

P6 W3 D3 L0

Averaging 2 points per game. That “form” over a 46 games season would get us 92 points and promotion.

Of course it’s more than just about results and I understand performances are inconsistent and not particularly entertaining, but people seriously need to get some perspective and realise our home issues could be an awful lot worse. We have an injury-ravaged team and we are finding ways to get results.

Fair point....home "form" is not too bad although you've left out the Leeds result when it would be more objective to include it.

Our home performances are how I should have described my original post. And that extends back into the whole of last season.

The players literally don't know from one game to the next whether they'll be playing and more importantly what they're expected to do when they are on the pitch.

Going forward, we lack any shape and conviction. There is literally nothing constructive about how we move into the opposition half. If the ball ends up in the box, there is rarely anyone either with a foot or head to bury it in the net. I accept that this is partly to do with the striker situation and I don't blame LJ or the club for Afobe's injury.

But we look completely random. Both Charlton and Wigan had more purpose, assurance and accuracy about their play. We beat Charlton with a wondergoal and a strong cameo from Deidhiou. We didn't deserve a point against Wigan.

The players literally don't know what they should be doing.  Defined passages of play are incredibly rare.

I do have perspective and I'm really pleased to be where we are at this point in the season. I also accept that injuries are significant when key players are missing.

But when a Wigan player is clear through on goal and not one of four defenders is within sight of him in the middle of park with just Bentley to save us (again) then there is a serious problem with how our team is organised.

The players at LJ's disposal simply do not have the flexibility to change tactics and formation week after week - more often than not within a game. Away from home we can afford to be more reactive but at home, supporters need to see purpose and understanding from the players on the pitch. I honestly think they are as confused as the fans in the stands.

Tinkering?!? give it a rest.

With the injuries, unavailable players and the form we're on and yet still to be top six I think is nothing short of marvellous.

Instead of moaning on and being negative about players what about a mention for the one on one save made by Bentley which won us that point.

ANY team would struggle with the amount of first team injuries we have.

Dasilva, Korey Smith, Kalas, Jack Hunt, Nagy, Diedhiou & Afobe.

ALL those players would be first choice.

Its not an excuse, it's a plain and excruciating fact.

I am as frustrated as the next fan but having that amount of talent unavailable is bound to affect performance.

We have to keep things in perspective and hope that some of these player's come back sooner rather than later.

We were lucky today against a well drilled Wigan team but you could just see that every time we moved the ball quickly they were in trouble

• Admin
2 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

3 games in a week would suggest otherwise. 

3 games in a week shouldn’t mean you have to change formation and style.  Surely the whole point of an academy and reserve team is to school players in the style of the Manager, so players fit as seamlessly as possible into the first team and are already used to playing in a formation and style.

I am not convinced that changing to suit the opposition is right or necessary at this level, I don’t feel that many if the players are at a level where they can adapt and still be effective.  We have the players we have, because they are either still learning their trade and could yet turn out to be gems, or with the more senior players, they have some aspects of their game that aren’t top drawer.  A good Manager and coach utilises the good bits and assists the poorer parts of players games with tactics and team selection, constantly tinkering with tactics and formations is not the answer.

Last six at home:

P6 W3 D3 L0

Averaging 2 points per game. That “form” over a 46 games season would get us 92 points and promotion.

Of course it’s more than just about results and I understand performances are inconsistent and not particularly entertaining, but people seriously need to get some perspective and realise our home issues could be an awful lot worse. We have an injury-ravaged team and we are finding ways to get results.

Since when do you get to play 46 games at home in a season?

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s simply a mechanism to demonstrate that our home form isn’t that bad. Obviously.

But it doesn’t demonstrate that though does does it? Your away form is normally not going to be as strong as your home form, so by winning 3 and drawing 3 of 6 at home does not automatically translate into top 2 form. Obviously 

11 minutes ago, Swede said:

Tinkering?!? give it a rest.

With the injuries, unavailable players and the form we're on and yet still to be top six I think is nothing short of marvellous.

Instead of moaning on and being negative about players what about a mention for the one on one save made by Bentley which won us that point.

ANY team would struggle with the amount of first team injuries we have.

Dasilva, Korey Smith, Kalas, Jack Hunt, Nagy, Diedhiou & Afobe.

ALL those players would be first choice.

Its not an excuse, it's a plain and excruciating fact.

I am as frustrated as the next fan but having that amount of talent unavailable is bound to affect performance.

We have to keep things in perspective and hope that some of these player's come back sooner rather than later.

We were lucky today against a well drilled Wigan team but you could just see that every time we moved the ball quickly they were in trouble

Exactly. The only “tinkering” anyone has been able to point out was Eliasson being left on the bench having started the previous game. One change does not qualify as tinkering.

All other changes have been made due to suspension, injury or a legitimate need for rest.

So really the whole “tinkering” argument is a complete misnomer. We’re doing what we can to get by without Kalas, Dasilva, Dhiedhou, Afobe, Smith, Hunt and Nagy - a remarkably long list that seems to be lost on some people.

I get the frustration but with the players we have out, to be where we are is a miracle. Weve been playing with 2 centre midfielders for the last few months, one of which is .obviously very young. Our 2 main strikers are out, as is our main left sided option, and our main centre back. If they were all available we would be a very different proposition. 

3 minutes ago, city1983 said:

But it doesn’t demonstrate that though does does it? Your away form is normally not going to be as strong as your home form, so by winning 3 and drawing 3 of 6 at home does not automatically translate into top 2 form. Obviously 

I am arguing against the notion that our home form is killing us, by demonstrating that we average 2 points a game over our last six games, which if you could replicate across all your games (irrespective of home or away), would equal promotion.

Last six at home:

P6 W3 D3 L0

You do like trotting out our home form stats from this season, whilst conveniently ignoring the defeat at home to Leeds.

We really do seem to have struggled at home under LJ - a more meaningful stat is that in all the seasons LJ has been involved as Bristol City head coach, we have played 99 home league games and won only 40 of those. 

That does indicate a lack of confidence and success at home doesn’t it?

I agree with you that the stats for the last six home league games don’t really give too much cause for alarm and I’m not knocking you or the team. Different and difficult circumstances have played their part at times over the last few seasons, but 40 wins from 99 home league games gives the bigger picture of a whole management reign, rather than just looking at the last six...

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I am arguing against the notion that our home form is killing us, by demonstrating that we average 2 points a game over our last six games, which if you could replicate across all your games (irrespective of home or away), would equal promotion.

But you’re not going to replicate that form away. I’d wager that if you drew half your home games you are unlikely to finish in the top 2 (if you did it would be a very low points total), and therefor if we continually fail to beat teams like Wigan then yes our home form will kill us as it did last season. We have to figure a way to beat teams like Wigan. They are a poor team that will be in and around the bottom 6 all season, but today they looked above that level as did Ipswich, and 9 man Rotherham last season. 

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You do like trotting out our home form stats from this season, whilst conveniently ignoring the defeat at home to Leeds.

We really do seem to have struggled at home under LJ - a more meaningful stat is that in all the seasons LJ has been involved as Bristol City head coach, we have played 99 home league games and won only 40 of those. 

That does indicate a lack of confidence and success at home doesn’t it?

I agree with you that the stats for the last six home league games don’t really give too much cause for alarm and I’m not knocking you or the team. Different and difficult circumstances have played their part at times over the last few seasons, but 40 wins from 99 home league games gives the bigger picture of a whole management reign, rather than just looking at the last six...

I accept that our home form over an extended period has been inconsistent and a little disappointing.

But I’m not “conveniently” forgetting the Leeds game, I’m making the point that we haven’t lost since then. “Form” is generally quoted over a 5 or 6 game period anyway, which excludes the Leeds game.

I would also argue that the squad is substantially different to the one which took on Leeds.

Archived