IGNORED

The Tinkering Has To Stop

Xiled

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I question the wage structure, FFP compliance at that time. Certainly had it been Gayle... Maguire and Gray less so.

Another interpretation might be that had Cotts bit his tongue for a year, focused on stability for 12-24 months then he would have inherited the benefits of the significant rises of revenue that LJ did.

It's all very well- and may well be pretty true to say that LJ had better backing. In pure cash terms, yes- probably.

However, SC's impatience may well have been his undoing.

Revenue from 2014/15 but also 2015/16...then check it for 2016/17. Especially Cotts season where LJ came in vs LJ first season.

You are right was told he said to cotts your moving too fast with the targets he wanted but they didnt turn out bad players did they no Engvald Hadukins or Watkins Eisas just pure quality players and great football to watch

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You are right was told he said to cotts your moving too fast with the targets he wanted but they didnt turn out bad players did they no Engvald Hadukins or Watkins Eisas just pure quality players and great football to watch

No doubt had it been a year later at those prices (fantasy I know). Well what a side that could've been!

No doubt Cotts had an eye for a player. Definite shame how it ended!

In partial mitigation, I don't think our development strategy for them did Eisa or is doing Adelakun any favours. Engvall, never suited but never got a proper chance (bit like Eisa).

Watkins I maintain was a good player at Barnsley. Can kind of see LJ's thinking as he managed him there in 2015/16, try and bring him back to that level of 16/17 Championship with Barnsley albeit post LJ, £1m only...but yeah, didn't work. Fantastic had it done so however!

14 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Engvall was a poor signing, but it was only £1.3 million, hardly a load of money lost in today’s market. 

Adelukan is I presume who you mean with the second player? If so, we got him on a free and he hasn’t worked out, as a cheap punt it was worth a shot. Not all of them work out. 

Watkins is still a squad player who offers us something, and at £1 mill that’s what you’d normally expect. 

Eisa we made a profit on...

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

I think if cotterell would have been backed by lansdown money wise the players he wanted etc he had us playing great football untill he threw his toys out the pram and was the best football since Terry cooper or nefore Alan Diks but dont expect you remember those days

**** I. Get over it, it’s done. 

A result that wasn't quite what we'd hoped and the all of a sudden half a dozen eeyores have returned from their long hiatus.

I mean we must be in the relegation zone right?  What's that you say?  Sixth?

Kalas, Nagy, Smith, Diedhiou, Dasilva, Hunt, Afobe - all first teamers who are unavailable. 

The manager can be given plenty of slack for having us in the playoffs with an injury list like that.

Stop moaning you whiny little babies.

8 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

I think if cotterell would have been backed by lansdown money wise the players he wanted etc he had us playing great football untill he threw his toys out the pram and was the best football since Terry cooper or nefore Alan Diks but dont expect you remember those days

Just remind me of Cott’s achievements since he left City .

Who is he managing today ?

I am eternally grateful to the man for the time he gave us but he shot himself in the foot and had Lansdown ‘ backed him ‘ we could well have been in the brown stuff in terms of FFP . 

All Cotts wanted was to win football matches at any costs and he didn’t care about the long term affects on the club .

8 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

We wont have him long hes quality make the most of him.

And to “make the most of him” he has to be managed correctly which means when the physical demands of the Championship get the better of him as they  inevitably will do and clearly have done recently you give him a rest. He’s not a machine that you can just press a button and off he goes. A rest will freshen him up, sharpen him up and he’s ready to go again. I’m amazed some can’t or won’t see it although I think it’s being used more as a stick to beat the Manager with.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

And to “make the most of him” he has to be managed correctly which means when the physical demands of the Championship get the better of him as they  inevitably will do and clearly have done recently you give him a rest. He’s not a machine that you can just press a button and off he goes. A rest will freshen him up, sharpen him up and he’s ready to go again. I’m amazed some can’t or won’t see it although I think it’s being used more as a stick to beat the Manager with.

Someone who refers to our manager as "the dwarf" looking for reasons to slate him?

shocked philip j fry GIF

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I question the wage structure, FFP compliance at that time. Certainly had it been Gayle... Maguire and Gray less so.

Another interpretation might be that had Cotts bit his tongue for a year, focused on stability for 12-24 months then he would have inherited the benefits of the significant rises of revenue that LJ did.

It's all very well- and may well be pretty true to say that LJ had better backing. In pure cash terms, yes- probably.

However, SC's impatience may well have been his undoing.

Revenue from 2014/15 but also 2015/16...then check it for 2016/17. Especially Cotts season where LJ came in vs LJ first season.

I personally think that the owner would have brought in LJ regardless of how good or bad the then manager was doing. 

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Major or even in the prem 

2 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I personally think that the owner would have brought in LJ regardless of how good or bad the then manager was doing. 

Certainly possible, at some point down the line.

Don't think Cotts did himself any favours though and I say that as a big fan of his time here and wish him well after (except v us), definitely a great shame how it ended- but then if someone has a strong suspicion that you will be replaced by LJ- or anyone actually- how committed etc will they be? Hard one!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Certainly possible, at some point down the line.

Don't think Cotts did himself any favours though and I say that as a big fan of his time here and wish him well after (except v us), definitely a great shame how it ended- but then if someone has a strong suspicion that you will be replaced by LJ- or anyone actually- how committed etc will they be? Hard one!

If the team were doing well then Cotterill would not have been ‘ replaced ‘ .

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Three games in a week? Charlton had the same, they travelled to Ashton Gate to play us last Wednesday and then had one day less to recover than we did, and they got a 2-2 away at The Baggies yesterday ... multiple games in relatively short time periods are not an excuse ...

How many Injuries do they have? How many fit players did the have to call on? How many changes have they made over the course of the week? 

So many variables that make such a comparison straw man at best 

21 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You either like him or you dont he dont fool me 

Yes you either like him or you dont. That's what this forum is for, a platform for  a wide range of opinions. However if you are going to give an opinion try not to be derogatory or discriminatory.(particularly the latter)  Dwarfism is a medical/genetic condition and not something to be ridiculed for people no taller than 1.47m . Lee Johnson is 1.68m . 

10 hours ago, Loon plage said:

You may be right, but it's timing. In a perfect world I would imagine SL and the board would have liked a period to establish us in the Championship, and for LJ to get more experience. There were things on and off the pitch which probably tipped the balance and speeded up the decision.

tinkering has taken us to 3 points off top spot, despite injuries to Dasilva, Kalas, Afobe, Smith, Nagy and the suspension of Famara. I think I'll take that. Seems like sensible squad rotation and suing resources to try and give rest to some and opportunity to others. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not but at this stage of the season, with quality players coming back have to say LJ is doing a pretty good job!

He is tinkering because he is trying to find that perfect team. Once one looks amazing I'm sure he will give that another go.

But please LJ, do not play Baker when we have Moore and Williams, and especially now we have Kalas returning.

Baker mainly at fault for both goals. I have yet to see anyone say this. I knew he didn't do enough on 2nd when I was at the game but just seen it was mainly hit fault for first too!

He is poor on the ball in that left of a 3 position. We need someone better on the ball. BUT at least be solid in defensive duties! 'solid championship defender'. How many times have we seen people describe Baker as this. It's a myth imo.

15 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

You may be right, but it's timing. In a perfect world I would imagine SL and the board would have liked a period to establish us in the Championship, and for LJ to get more experience. There were things on and off the pitch which probably tipped the balance and speeded up the decision.

I really liked Cotts but he spat his dummy out and was taking us down, so had to go.

I do think though that even had he kept us up, did better than 17th in 16/17 he would have been replaced by LJ .

Archived