IGNORED

Kasey Palmer/eliasson

Lez

Ok I posted another thread in haste blood boiling at poor performance but I do feel Kasey Palmer has got to do more. Yes great ball Wednesday but he has not having the impact in games that he should.

He doesnt look like a threat goals wise, he is disappearing in games he should be taking by the scruff of the neck.....for a 4 million pound signing he is not doing enough.

Are we played 352 at home just to find a place for him?  We must go 442 at home If it means elliasson starts, he is our biggest threat and another assist today.....this 352 does not work at home.

Away from home fair enough we play on the break but at home Palmer is not doing enough, not even close and he cannot be picked ahead of eliasson anymore surely.

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Unfortunately we don’t have a striker on his wavelength anymore due to injuries. Xavi could of played today and not created anything due to the lack of movement. Our problem isn’t KP our problem is we don’t have a striker 

Got another assist today.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He was very poor today. Started off brilliantly first few minutes and then gave it away a few times and so poor.

True he was ineffective, but partly because he was trying to pick it up so deep because without Massengo and Brownhill awol, we had nobody breaking up play and winning the ball to enable KP to play more in their half.

47 minutes ago, Lez said:

Ok I posted another thread in haste blood boiling at poor performance but I do feel Kasey Palmer has got to do more. Yes great ball Wednesday but he has not having the impact in games that he should.

He doesnt look like a threat goals wise, he is disappearing in games he should be taking by the scruff of the neck.....for a 4 million pound signing he is not doing enough.

Are we played 352 at home just to find a place for him?  We must go 442 at home If it means elliasson starts, he is our biggest threat and another assist today.....this 352 does not work at home.

Away from home fair enough we play on the break but at home Palmer is not doing enough, not even close and he cannot be picked ahead of eliasson anymore surely.

What is this obsession with elliasson. He flatters to deceive and needs much more to his game. Cut inside , cross every time and he’s hardly created a lot of chances. He was invisible today. 442 doesn’t work anymore, we get outnumbered in midfield. 
when he does play he needs to play on the left not the right 

Both Palmer and Eliasson were useless today.

Palmer keeps losing the ball in dangerous areas. Play it simple man...then use your genius with a killer pass when in their half into the final third. Don't try tricking two players in front of your own 18 yard box and losing it.

As for Eliasson... someone teach him how to create angles to receive a pass please. Don't hug the touchline or start running down the channel, or going behind a defender when Pedro is trying to pass to you. No wonder we keep having to go backwards and switch play.

I've never witnessed a side create so few angles and space as I did today. The basics went out the window.

Looked like a team who'd never played together today.

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

Palmer keeps losing the ball in dangerous areas. Play it simple man...then use your genius with a killer pass when in their half into the final third. Don't try tricking two players in front of your own 18 yard box and losing it.

As for Eliasson... someone teach him how to create angles to receive a pass please. Don't hug the touchline or start running down the channel, or going behind a defender when Pedro is trying to pass to you. No wonder we keep having to go backwards and switch play.

I've never witnessed a side create so few angles and space as I did today. The basics went out the window.

I totally agree with your observations, but don't think we can lay the blame on just Palmer and Eliasson. Rodri was anonymous, Taylor would have been more of threat. Recall Jan.? And I can't see that Szomdics offers a great deal either at the moment. 

The midfield won or controlled very little, and Wigan looked by far the better team.

In fact we rarely looked like any sort of team.

Nevertheless, given the injuried players we are missing, and the less than convincing way we are playing, our league position is astonishing!

So well done LJ and the players!

Palmer did struggle today but I feel that is mainly down to the midfield being so ineffective. My main concern is we don’t transition the ball well through midfield. How many times today did we pass the ball around the back four only to go long into the channels as we couldn’t create anything in midfield. 
In my mind this has been the problem for a while it was more noticeable when Pack was playing as he would try and come back to get the ball moving through the midfield. Maybe we’re missing the likes of Nagy or Smith to break it up and be a bit more combative in midfield. 
Whatever we need to sort it as teams just sit back and wait to catch us on the break. Maybe I’m reading all wrong but I would love to know what are plan was today as we didn’t seem to have an answer to the way Wigan played against us. 

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agreed. And as for Szmodics, I thought that one of the ball boys had grabbed his shirt. Totally out of his depth.

We badly needed a midfielder who could pass the ball and link up play, at pace.

Wigan outmuscled and outplayed us in the second half and Adam Nagy's return can't come soon enough.

That being said we're still 5th.

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Unfortunately we don’t have a striker on his wavelength anymore due to injuries. Xavi could of played today and not created anything due to the lack of movement. Our problem isn’t KP our problem is we don’t have a striker 

That doesn't excuse his poor performance today. His passing and possession retention was awful. At 1-0 his ball to the wide open right flank allowed Robinson to clear downfield for the eventual corner for the equaliser. I think he was also robbed on halfway leading to the Wigan attack that lead to their second successful corner.

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Palmer behind, up close with Weimann.

Freeish role, 4-4-1-1...surely worth a proper go?

3 hours ago, Lez said:

doesn't play to the whistle either.

It's a man's game but he like many others get tackled and immediately stops playing, instead would rather lift hands and  remonstrate with the ref. Pathetic

need to carry on playing until the game is stopped by the ref when he blows his whistle

4 minutes ago, Lez said:

It's only a freeish role if he moves....which he doesnt.

If who moves- Palmer?

Think proper run of Palmer behind Weimann is our best bet with the current personal.

When people back, maybe Brownhill, Nagy, one of Massengo, Smith or Rowe and then Palmer behind Weimann and Rodri. The injuries are disastrous though.

The thing with KP is , he loves to turn and wrong foot opposition players so he can break and create but too often ends up getting tackled in key areas which puts us under pressure . 

On his day he’s unplayable, but still work to do on his game. Decision making being the obvious area for improvement.

Don’t get me wrong, I rate him highly and his ability is clear for anyone to see. He just needs to do better in certain situations. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If who moves- Palmer?

Think proper run of Palmer behind Weimann is our best bet with the current personal.

When people back, maybe Brownhill, Nagy, one of Massengo, Smith or Rowe and then Palmer behind Weimann and Rodri. The injuries are disastrous though.

Agreed. I think he’d excel with 3 CMs behind him and 2 strikers upfront .

6 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Agreed. I think he’d excel with 3 CMs behind him and 2 strikers upfront .

Has to be the right 2 strikers though.

Afobe and Weimann? Absolutely.

Rodri and Weimann? Maybe- the former showed some decent signs in first couple of game and is IMO better for this setup than Diedhiou, or at this time, Semenyo.

Diedhiou and Weimann? Unsure. Definite worries on that score.

Semenyo and Weimann? Possible in some respects, but really  don't think Semenyo is ready.

Yeah , agreed that Palmer needs a certain type of striker in front of him to anticipate the audacious passes he attempts to make sometimes. Diédhiou and Palmer do not work , but we know that already.

We need a “on the shoulder of the last defender” striker in January . Such a shame Afobe done his ACL. I genuinely think we’d be flying if he wasn’t injured .

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

That’s spot on - Afobe up front with KP behind him and Weimann buzzing around was the dream ticket....Fam just can’t read KP’s intentions ....

12 hours ago, RedEyez said:

The thing with KP is , he loves to turn and wrong foot opposition players so he can break and create but too often ends up getting tackled in key areas which puts us under pressure . 

On his day he’s unplayable, but still work to do on his game. Decision making being the obvious area for improvement.

Don’t get me wrong, I rate him highly and his ability is clear for anyone to see. He just needs to do better in certain situations. 

Nailed it. On his day, unplayable and exciting. The problem is that he just doesnt work enough when out of possession. His free roaming style exposes us when play breaks down and he is way out of position. 

Im a huge fan of Eliasson but there are limitations to his play. After a few step overs, he nearly always shifts it to his left foot. He doesn't like being kept on his right  

Said to my mate yesterday that given the way he plays Palmer is at risk of becoming an impact sub player, rather than the player he should be.

Doesnt do enough when he starts but changes a game when he comes off the bench.

That said, he was starting to form a half decent partnership with Afobe so that would have had an impact as someone else as mentioned.

18 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

What is this obsession with elliasson. He flatters to deceive and needs much more to his game. Cut inside , cross every time and he’s hardly created a lot of chances. He was invisible today. 442 doesn’t work anymore, we get outnumbered in midfield. 
when he does play he needs to play on the left not the right 

Second highest number of assists in the championship so far this season - not bad considering he’s only played about 180 minutes of football in the whole of that time!!!

His crosses are very accurate - we just need someone to get on the end of them more often. 

Archived