IGNORED

Players' car park.

Drew Peacock

On 01/11/2019 at 15:32, Frenchay Red said:

I thought that if a vehicle complied with all the requirements of the MOT, and was therefore fully roadworthy, not having a valid MOT was not grounds for invalidating the insurance?

Best to keep your MOT up-to-date though!

By law, when your car has no MOT, you can only legally drive it to a pre-arranged appointment at a test centre. If it fails, you cannot drive it home. You either leave it at the test centre to be fixed and re-tested or it has to be towed elsewhere.

Therefore, by driving without a current MOT, your car is deemed illegal and would invalidate the insurance. Also you run the risk of the plod stopping you and impounding the car.

8 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

No one given him a nudge?

Don't the DVLA send a letter out like a month prior it runs out like with the tax?

27 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

By law, when your car has no MOT, you can only legally drive it to a pre-arranged appointment at a test centre. If it fails, you cannot drive it home. You either leave it at the test centre to be fixed and re-tested or it has to be towed elsewhere.

Therefore, by driving without a current MOT, your car is deemed illegal and would invalidate the insurance. Also you run the risk of the plod stopping you and impounding the car.

Don't the DVLA send a letter out like a month prior it runs out like with the tax?

Hope this helps. ?

It is an offence not to have a valid MOT.

But as far as insurance goes this is legal situation.

The law requires that you must have a minimum of third party insurance coverage in order to be on the road.

Insurance companies are prohibited under the Road Traffic Act 1988 section 148 (2) (b) from not paying out a third party claim due to the condition of the vehicle.

This means that having no MOT does not invalidate your insurance in the eyes of the law / police.
It may mean that if you were driving a vehicle with no MOT and / or was not roadworthy and it was involved in an accident that was your fault, then your insurance company would still have to pay out on any third party damages but could be in a position not to pay out for any damages to your vehicle if you had fully comprehensive insurance.
They could then try and claim back all of the money that they paid out to the third party from you, so if you ended up having an accident that involved hitting an expensive vehicle(s) and / or lots of personal injury claims, you could be looking at paying out a hell of a lot of money or going bankrupt, all because of no MOT or poor condition of the vehicle.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:20, RedM said:

Is the car insured if it doesn’t have an MOT, I always thought not?

On 01/11/2019 at 16:28, TomF said:

No technically the insurance would be invalid.  

On 01/11/2019 at 16:30, RedLionLad said:

No

On 01/11/2019 at 16:32, Frenchay Red said:

I thought that if a vehicle complied with all the requirements of the MOT, and was therefore fully roadworthy, not having a valid MOT was not grounds for invalidating the insurance?

Best to keep your MOT up-to-date though!

Frenchay Red is correct - on all counts.

I see that FR has now added an advisory note.

In brief, it is only in extremely exceptional circumstances that a motor insurer can refuse liability - witness the recent Derby 'incident' in which I would be astonished if the respective insurers were able to refuse payment for any Third Party damage and/or injury.

Archived