IGNORED

Things we remembered today (that we already knew)

Dullmoan Tone

Wigan are not a very good team

Moore would not have been the answer to our number 9 problem

Eliasson is not always going to be the solution

Baker is not a ball playing centre back

Andi is not a natural finisher

We cannot break down stubborn physical teams at home

Kasey is brilliant (early pass), immobile and inconsistent (and recklessly slide tackles too often after losing the ball)

Bentley is a superb keeper

We cannot keeping changing formation and selection and hope to progress.

We do finish strongly... but start so slowly at home.

Oh how we miss the regulars

Anything else?

4 minutes ago, shelts said:

I thought Moore was excellent today . He would fit well into our side 

I agree. He was big, strong, mobile and a proper handful throughout the game. We looked so lightweight up front.... I’d have him up there ahead of any of our available options on that evidence. 

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I didn't think Wigan were "not a very good team" 

With some better decision making they could have been home and dry today. I thought they were miles better than I was expecting they'd be.

Absolutely they were. They belied their lowly Championship position. I thought they executed their game plan brilliantly and in all honesty deserved all three points.

City dodged a bullet for sure.

40 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Kasey is brilliant (early pass), immobile and inconsistent (and recklessly slide tackles too often after losing the ball)

Anything else?

Agree with most of that.

Thought Kieffer Moore was very good today..but yeah not what I'd want here.

Weimann is very erratic. Such a shame he does miss a lot of chances. 

And Baker at left of a 3 is ridiculous, especially when we have Rowe who offers so little goung forward next to him.

Don't get it at all. We have him unoccupied and just seems pointless as he can't step out. Hes in to win headers and is actually not that great in the air, doesn't get tight enough. Wright is shorter but so strong and gets tight and wins or puts people off headers with his strength.

Football is a simple game. It involves accurate passing (Fail ). Breaking down stubborn defences ( Fail ).  Going forward more often than sideways or backwards ( Fail ). Creating chances from set pieces ( Fail ). Working the opposition keeper ( Fail ) Playing the ball out from defence to our players preferably  ( Fail )....

OTHER THAN THAT I STILL LOVE 'EM....!!!!  ? 

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Anything else?

We don't have to rely on large away followings (unlike..you know who) to get a good attendance !

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I didn't think Wigan were "not a very good team" 

With some better decision making they could have been home and dry today. I thought they were miles better than I was expecting they'd be.

Didn't make it today, but I thought in last seasons 2-2, they were also a fair bit better than were anticipated/billed in the run up.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with most of that.

Thought Kieffer Moore was very good today..but yeah not what I'd want here.

Weimann is very erratic. Such a shame he does miss a lot of chances. 

And Baker at left of a 3 is ridiculous, especially when we have Rowe who offers so little goung forward next to him.

Don't get it at all. We have him unoccupied and just seems pointless as he can't step out. Hes in to win headers and is actually not that great in the air, doesn't get tight enough. Wright is shorter but so strong and gets tight and wins or puts people off headers with his strength.

Jon, you have a massive blind spot re Rowe.  

Who appeared in the box (from a throw on the opposite side) to cross-shot for Weimann to open the scoring?  If you said “doesn’t offer as much as Dasilva” I could understand your argument a bit, but to say “offers so little” is just untrue.  How often did he make unselfish runs in the second half to give Callum the chance to go down the outside?  He’s not a player to go on mazy dribbles or hit the bye-line.

Jamal Rowe was brilliant positionally when Baker had the ball, stopping multiple passing angles.

Wright has proven to be weak on the ball on left side of defence.

Baker’s distribution was poor today, it had little tempo....but that’s no reason to apportion fault to Rowe either.

Rowe - 2 goals (yes one when he’d moved into midfield), 2 assists and 1 brought down for a penalty v Hull (that didn’t count as an assist for some reason) from 13 games.  He’s offered similar returns to Hunt, who gets rave reviews.

There are more expansive LBs / LWBs in this division, but they are poorer defensively.  When I see O’Dowda dangling a leg or not even challenging (thought generally he did well today), I’m glad we haven’t given him a go at LWB, and that we have Rowe.  He’s not stellar, but he’s bloody reliable, Street-wise, and technically decent.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Jon, you have a massive blind spot re Rowe.  

Who appeared in the box (from a throw on the opposite side) to cross-shot for Weimann to open the scoring?  If you said “doesn’t offer as much as Dasilva” I could understand your argument a bit, but to say “offers so little” is just untrue.  How often did he make unselfish runs in the second half to give Callum the chance to go down the outside?  He’s not a player to go on mazy dribbles or hit the bye-line.

Jamal Rowe was brilliant positionally when Baker had the ball, stopping multiple passing angles.

Wright has proven to be weak on the ball on left side of defence.

Baker’s distribution was poor today, it had little tempo....but that’s no reason to apportion fault to Rowe either.

Rowe - 2 goals (yes one when he’d moved into midfield), 2 assists and 1 brought down for a penalty v Hull (that didn’t count as an assist for some reason) from 13 games.  He’s offered similar returns to Hunt, who gets rave reviews.

There are more expansive LBs / LWBs in this division, but they are poorer defensively.  When I see O’Dowda dangling a leg or not even challenging (thought generally he did well today), I’m glad we haven’t given him a go at LWB, and that we have Rowe.  He’s not stellar, but he’s bloody reliable, Street-wise, and technically decent.

With Rowe I mean he doesn't have the pace to drive forward from deep. When he's in and around the box, generally more central the better, he is actually quite decent. Though when wide he rarely crosses the ball as he can't make that yard to deliver it.

But let's say it was O'Dowda being fed the ball safely by Baker, as Baker won't advance up the pitch like Moore. O'Dowda can advance up the pitch so many yards, maybe even evade a challenge and keep going or come inside.

Baker being a basic side ways and backwards passer when under any kind of pressure from opponents, in a position that ideally you want a ball player means that I really want more than what Rowe can give next to him.

Obviously Dasilva would be perfect as he is one of our most creative players, arguably our most creative.

If Rowe maybe had Moore next to him in that 352 then Moore can carry the ball and then there isn't so much of a pressure on Rowe to drive us forward.

Rowe is better at left back with a dribbler in front of him, where Rowe can do a more solid job of defending. But as a wing back he doesn't do enough for me.

Not his fault he is slow, but I personally don't really want a slow wing back. I want one that can get up and down the line with pace, to drive us on down that side.

I also ideally like one that can attack one on one, by taking on their man like Dasilva or O'Dowda. 

Rowe more often than not passes safely in that wide position. Maybe that wouldn't be the case in his best position (midfield) where he can move the ball in any direction he chooses.

Someone near me today I heard saying first half Weimann is the only one doing anything on the left. And i thought well Rowe as a wing back should be up there doing more. Or pick Taylor Moore on the left, instruct him to join in attacks like he was so much mid week, and get Rowe to cover him when he does. But Rowe and Baker trying to build attacks on that side is painful to watch imo.

Talking of left sided players, Robinson looked superb again today. Quite amazing that Wigan got him for so cheap. Think there is probably a buy back clause in there for that to have happened, as I fancy him to make it as a prem player.

3 hours ago, KevP said:

Football is a simple game. It involves accurate passing (Fail ). Breaking down stubborn defences ( Fail ).  Going forward more often than sideways or backwards ( Fail ). Creating chances from set pieces ( Fail ). Working the opposition keeper ( Fail ) Playing the ball out from defence to our players preferably  ( Fail )....

And avoiding defeat, and getting in the top six. Remember them two! And picking up points when you ain't playing well, that's another.

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Performances, yes. Results, this season, no.

Performances at home have been generally poor since the infamous Wolves game nearly 2 years ago, with a few honourable exceptions (e.g. last season against Swansea and West Brom). 

Last season,  the results pretty much matched the performances. This season we are doing slightly better, but we certainly don’t look to dominate teams from the start of the match, more bore them into a false sense of security until 60 minutes, then bring on some substitutes, change formation, and actually go for it.

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Anything else?

Totally agree

Archived