IGNORED

Playing out from back

Topper 123

10 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Can anyone see why we play out every time from the back we are not Barcelona,today we lost the ball on numerous accounts from OVER PASSING , it allows teams to push high on you and soon as a pass goes astray then your deep in the shit 

It’s ok to do that providing you have the players capable of playing that way. Taylor Moore can play from the back but Baker and Williams cannot. Should have taken off Williams instead of Moore unless the latter was injured.

Lack of players with the ability to hold onto the ball from long balls? You lose it and it can come straight back at you again. Brownhill has seemingly taken over the Pack role of picking the ball up deep looking to distribute, however when one of your next passes is Palmer he's not the safest person to be passing to in your own half.

We did it because we have no target man upfront, so going long is a waste of time. But our midfield wasn’t helping today, and Wigan were pressing hard with their 4-3-3 formation, so instead we kept playing it along our back line just in front of our penalty box. Possession without intent described it perfectly. The stats at 35 minutes showed we hadn’t even registered a shot and Wigan had had 7. We were outplayed and 3-5-2 didn’t work. Kasey Palmer never got going, not helped by the referee letting various infringements by Wigan (rugby tackles for instance) go. Our first goal came from our first real attack, and against the run of play. The equaliser and their second was a better reflection of the game to that point.

Why not consider the simple fact that Wigan stifled our play? They pressed extremely well and frequently the likes of Williams and Baker had no out pass available so passed along the back line or back to Bentley. The crowd became increasingly impatient with the lack of forward play and that was entirely down to the Latics.

Wigan looked a decent side imv.

Not having target man is not necessarily a problem for going long.

I remember Reid at Pato up top, at home to Middlesborough and other games around that time.

We would go long a lot and win the second balls through our pressing. And then pass it sharply in and around the box.

I personally like the plan of passing it out the back. What I don't like is playing players that cant do it. Baker is one obvious one. 

Williams is very good at seeing the right simple pass. And really if we are playing 3, then we need a ball player either side. 

What is the point in having Baker unoccupied to basically not step out. He's very limited on the ball.

I really don't get why LJ brings off Taylor Moore. He drove us forward mid week. Why not keep him and Williams as the pair.

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Hard to play out from the back in a 532 when 2 midfielders are dropping deep to get on the ball. Also second half we took off our balL playing CB for some reason to leave Baker on who panics as soon as he can realise the ball is at his feet

Moore was injured and why he didn’t start the second half.

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Can anyone see why we play out every time from the back we are not Barcelona,today we lost the ball on numerous accounts from OVER PASSING , it allows teams to push high on you and soon as a pass goes astray then your deep in the shit 

Wigan played 4-3-3 first half which is how you cause problems to 3-5-2. Passing it out from the back was poor as a result. Backwards, sideways O’Driscoll type stuff. Sometimes the oppo get it right!!

It’s all well trying to play out from the back, but firstly you have to pass the ball with purpose ( getting it from A to B as quickly as possible), but to do this, you have to one be confident in your passing ability & secondly be confident in your teammate handling the ball. I’ve noticed a few on here have mentioned Williams not going forward, I believe he did, every time he had the option to ( I’ll come back to that in a bit ). But for me, when he passes it, it’s with a real zip. Some though, it takes an age to get to the attended target, thus slowing down the play. Then after that, coming back to my options point, it’s the bloody lack of movement. Not just that, but it’s the unintelligent movement. Weimann making runs that are not going to be picked up or no likelihood of being executed. Elliasson showing his back to the player on the ball. Players standing behind opposition players, move two yards left or right, create a bloody angle. It’s my pet hate, a lack of movement. Players not being able to find pockets of space or creating angles to receive the ball. But once you have the option,  pass it with some purpose, don’t bloody flick it! COYR 

2 hours ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Ashley Williams completed the most passes today, none of them were forward I reckon...

According to the stats 29 of his 58 passes were technically forward but 24 of these were slightly forward, basically sideways 

2 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

And I would guess Dan Bentley received the ball more than any other player!

No. Bentley only received it 19 times. Lower than all outfield players who played 90 mins 

It's not just playing out from the 'back', it's playing out from the midfield. A couple of times yesterday, we were awarded free kicks on halfway, took a quick free kick and within a couple of passes, the ball was with Bentley! On one occasion he kicked to Pereira who headed in out for a throw-in to Wigan who thus regained possession ten yards further up the pitch from where they'd committed the original foul! Madness and infuriating. 

Twice from second half Wigan defensive throw-ins taken from the Dolman corner flag we quickly gained possession in midfield and again smuggled the ball back to Bentley! I get the desire and the need to retain possession but imo we need to strive to do that from  position higher up the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

It's not just playing out from the 'back', it's playing out from the midfield. A couple of times yesterday, we were awarded free kicks on halfway, took a quick free kick and within a couple of passes, the ball was with Bentley! On one occasion he kicked to Pereira who headed in out for a throw-in to Wigan who thus regained possession ten yards further up the pitch from where they'd committed the original foul! Madness and infuriating. 

Twice from second half Wigan defensive throw-ins taken from the Dolman corner flag we quickly gained possession in midfield and again smuggled the ball back to Bentley! I get the desire and the need to retain possession but imo we need to strive to do that from  position higher up the pitch.

We had a habit last season of taking quick free kicks which regularly backfired. Sometimes I think it is better to take your time, get players into position (and get their breath) and take it from there,

16 hours ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Ashley Williams completed the most passes today, none of them were forward I reckon...

Acutally, it was Baker followed by Brownhill. Pereira's pass success rate was 53% which is very poor but vitally important goal. Big problem was Palmer and O'Dowda. Dispossessed 3 times each. The former far more guilty of over playing/too many tricks.

Archived