IGNORED

LJ - ambition vs. safety?

headhunter

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

If a Premier League club comes calling for LJ, he'd be a ******* idiot to turn it down.

His time with us has showed that he can handle the Championship just fine, and if he takes over somewhere like Norwich and burns them to the ground then he'll still get a job back in this league  I know it's silly for a Bristol City fan to suggest this, but I would think less of LJ if he didn't take a job in the top flight.

Not sure I agree with this mate - some very successful managers at Championship level (Warnock, Wagner for example) have struggled in the top tier. It’s a completely different breed of footballer that you are managing - assuming of course that the club invests instead of relying on the championship squad - and they come complete with egos that are as big as the salaries they are paid. 

LJ is in a comparably safe place (for a football manager) with us - good financial backing, a well-established authority in the dressing room and a fan base who, whilst most, like me, would obviously want us to reach the premiership and would be disappointed if we don’t, wouldn’t be calling for his head if we remained where we are (I’m guessing)

Lose a couple of games managing an established Prem side and the knives would be out for him - look at Olé!!!!

i think he’s better off seeing his current project through!

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I think players insure themselves. That’s why the conference has some league-standard players playing in it - they’ve claimed on their policies for a bad injury, and if they go back fully professional they’d have to pay back their compensation amount.  

Out of curiosity did you have any names here? Would be interested to know who.

24 minutes ago, Diddlydonkey said:

Out of curiosity did you have any names here? Would be interested to know who.

Off the top of my head, no - but I remember when one of the sides was promoted recently, Sky interviewed their top striker and congratulated him for getting promoted and he said ‘thanks - but I’ve done myself out of a job now because I can’t play for <whoever it was> in the league’!

i can’t find it on google either - but it did happen - honest!!!!

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’ve certainly seen him recommended to succeed Hassenhutl on a Southampton forum.

Yeah another fans forum though.

What I actually meant was informed press speculation or better still, an actual approach from a club.

His stock was probably at its highest during the cup run -I could well understand if a Prem side came in for him at that time.

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not sure I agree with this mate - some very successful managers at Championship level (Warnock, Wagner for example) have struggled in the top tier. It’s a completely different breed of footballer that you are managing - assuming of course that the club invests instead of relying on the championship squad - and they come complete with egos that are as big as the salaries they are paid. 

LJ is in a comparably safe place (for a football manager) with us - good financial backing, a well-established authority in the dressing room and a fan base who, whilst most, like me, would obviously want us to reach the premiership and would be disappointed if we don’t, wouldn’t be calling for his head if we remained where we are (I’m guessing)

Lose a couple of games managing an established Prem side and the knives would be out for him - look at Olé!!!!

i think he’s better off seeing his current project through!

I'm not suggesting that he'd find success - only that he'd be welcome back in the Championship if he did take a role and balls it up.

He's got a good thing going here, but ultimately you have to wonder how long it can continue. I'd say that a poor run at Bristol City would have the fans calling for LJ's head too. It's happened before, and if it were to happen again it would largely be considered a backwards step from a position we've slowly built up over the years.

While I like incremental growth and improvement each year, I truly believe we're one bad signing or one big injury away from several years of work being undone. If we finish in the bottom half of the Championship this season, would the fans will be warm to LJ, and vice versa - would LJ take a Premier League move if he felt that things weren't going to improve?

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If Dyche leaves Burnley, LJ going there could be a decent fit.

The interview up there might be interesting (I'd pay to be a fly on the interactive whiteboard). Am I to take it that you are not acquainted with the tale of Andre Villas-Boas interviewing for the job at plain-speaking, chips n bovril Turf Moor?

Archived