IGNORED

Lee Johnson is now currently the 8th longest active football league manager

Eastside Moonwalker

Does the above tie with relative success with each of those clubs? You’d probably have to say yes, all have shown progression relative to their goals

poch at Tottenham however you would say is plateauing compared to what they could have gone onto (no longer looking solid top 3) something you have to guard against for sure

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

And there will still be some clown  who considers him 'the cheap option' who has no 'genuine Championship experience'.

3 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Hopefully that clown from the other thread  doesn’t comment on here ??

Hold on chaps! I got told off on here recently by @AppyDAZE for calling someone a clown! Apparently it’s been added to the snowflake list of abusive and offensive words and terms - so tread carefully! ?????

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hold on chaps! I got told off on here recently by @AppyDAZE for calling someone a clown! Apparently it’s been added to the snowflake list of abusive and offensive words and terms - so tread carefully! ?????

I've changed my mind on this one. Clown is now considered an acceptable insult according to @AppyDAZE

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, plenty still say he is ‘inexperienced and still learning’ - this list says otherwise ...

Of all the managers in the championship, he’s only 16th on the list of how long they’ve been in management for. 

He’s only 38 and has only been in the job for 6 years, I’d call that inexperienced and still learning

Probably one of the best managers in the championship of which I think you would all agree. Learning yes he definitely is. Experienced yes  at this level. His age is on his side and he has plenty of years ahead of him. 

I hope he does get City in the premier league next season and it will give him the drive as it will also come with funding and he will go down as one of the best managers for city. 

However if we do not go up expect him to be poached by one of the other clubs that will get relegated from the Prem as obviously their manager will get the sack and they will need an experienced championship manager.

He has worked his magic by moving us from Championship bottom three to a play off spot during the season.

But when the chips are down, it is guaranteed 200%, that we are overtaken by at least seven other clubs who WANT PROMOTION MORE THAN WE DO.

Sorry for shouting at you but get real. Our home form is so erratic, we stand zero chance of automatic or play off again this season.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He has worked his magic by moving us from Championship bottom three to a play off spot during the season.

But when the chips are down, it is guaranteed 200%, that we are overtaken by at least seven other clubs who WANT PROMOTION MORE THAN WE DO.

Sorry for shouting at you but get real. Our home form is so erratic, we stand zero chance of automatic or play off again this season.

Bollocks

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Bollocks

So it is alright to waste points at home like we do? Two pathetic draws that should have been wins, would have us at the top of the pile now. And how much would that increase the squad's confidence?

At the end of the season, when we miss out again by three points, just think back to the games with Wigan, Boro'.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We have half a team and are still pushing the playoffs and only a few points off top..Once we get the 16 million quids worth of players back from injury i'm sure we will improve both home and away

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I definitely get where you’re coming from. 

If we do want to be a top 6 side, we need to target home games as being ones where we can assert our authority, attack teams, and make sides fear coming to Ashton Gate. Do we do that? No...

It’s too laborious and predictable. 

Yes the injured players returning will make an impact, mainly defensively, but would they have won us that game on Sunday with the way we played? I’m not sure. 

I don’t think there’s 0 chance of us getting into the play offs (as we are there currently so we must be doing something right!) but that chance will keep on diminishing if we don’t start getting at teams at home. Yes this is a tough league and anyone can beat anyone, but performances like Sunday, the first 60 minutes v Charlton and Luton away hardly look like those of promotion contenders.

That being said, I don’t think Johnson lacks ambition/ doesn’t want premier league football, I just think he’s too afraid to lose, having seen what a run of defeats can create when fans start turning on his back. Therefore he’s made us go too defensive at home especially, and that’s been a major mistake imo

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So it is alright to waste points at home like we do? Two pathetic draws that should have been wins, would have us at the top of the pile now. And how much would that increase the squad's confidence?

At the end of the season, when we miss out again by three points, just think back to the games with Wigan, Boro'.

Assuming you're counting Sunday as a "pathetic" draw, which is the other one that you're on about? It's not okay, but it happens sometimes, and to say we have zero chance of a playoff spot is completely wrong.

39 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I definitely get where you’re coming from. 

If we do want to be a top 6 side, we need to target home games as being ones where we can assert our authority, attack teams, and make sides fear coming to Ashton Gate. Do we do that? No...

It’s too laborious and predictable. 

Yes the injured players returning will make an impact, mainly defensively, but would they have won us that game on Sunday with the way we played? I’m not sure. 

I don’t think there’s 0 chance of us getting into the play offs (as we are there currently so we must be doing something right!) but that chance will keep on diminishing if we don’t start getting at teams at home. Yes this is a tough league and anyone can beat anyone, but performances like Sunday, the first 60 minutes v Charlton and Luton away hardly look like those of promotion contenders.

That being said, I don’t think Johnson lacks ambition/ doesn’t want premier league football, I just think he’s too afraid to lose, having seen what a run of defeats can create when fans start turning on his back. Therefore he’s made us go too defensive at home especially, and that’s been a major mistake imo

I completely agree. As do many others who sit near me in Block S22. 

49 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Afraid to lose definitely isn't the case.
A lot of the games when we were losing regularly was a result of us going too gung ho when the game was level.

Even with 10 men against Charlton we were going for the win.

Think he has us almost set up to win through fitness at home- tight to start with but as the game goes on and the opposition tires we go for it more and more.

28 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Afraid to lose definitely isn't the case.
A lot of the games when we were losing regularly was a result of us going too gung ho when the game was level.

Even with 10 men against Charlton we were going for the win.

Think he has us almost set up to win through fitness at home- tight to start with but as the game goes on and the opposition tires we go for it more and more.

The only reason we were going for it at home to Charlton was due to the fact he'd made such attacking subs due to the fact that we had played so poorly in the first 50 odd minutes and then went behind. With so many attacking options on the pitch, we had to go for it, sitting back wasn't an option. 

You've sort of explained my point in your second sentence, because we used to go for it too much and more often than not ended up losing, he's now become more and more defensive. I'd agree with the last pint though, especially v Charlton we looked the much fitter team later on, hopefully that comes to help us again in future games

15 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The only reason we were going for it at home to Charlton was due to the fact he'd made such attacking subs due to the fact that we had played so poorly in the first 50 odd minutes and then went behind. With so many attacking options on the pitch, we had to go for it, sitting back wasn't an option. 

You've sort of explained my point in your second sentence, because we used to go for it too much and more often than not ended up losing, he's now become more and more defensive. I'd agree with the last pint though, especially v Charlton we looked the much fitter team later on, hopefully that comes to help us again in future games

The latter part of my second sentence is the key bit though.

It's not a case of trying not to lose, it's trying to win in a more defensively solid manner.

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Of all the managers in the championship, he’s only 16th on the list of how long they’ve been in management for. 

He’s only 38 and has only been in the job for 6 years, I’d call that inexperienced and still learning

Fair enough, I appreciate your opinion. But I think that a manager who has been in the job for 342 games is far from inexperienced...

Archived