IGNORED

Frustrated with City results ? Dont be

dunsteral

If like me you get a little frustrated when the team doesn't take advantage when they should i.e. 

failing to beat teams like Wigan to go 2nd in the league, dont be too disappointed.

I have just checked the October results for the teams currently in the top 10 positions, and only

Birmingham have scored more points (9) than we have (8). WBA, Leeds, PNE, Fulham, Wednesday

also scored 8 points. So in this topsy turvy division perhaps we are doing better than we think we are.

Your right. It can be very frustrating when what appears to be a winnable game is only drawn. But that late equiliser must have lifted the morale of our players. Need to sort out Palmer. He tries to keep hold of the ball but then loses possession. That leaves us open to attacks from the opposition. Also we need to get Rodri into the game. What sort of ball does he need? Through the gaps to run onto or to feet? Could Eliason play just behind Weiman upfront?

9 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

If like me you get a little frustrated when the team doesn't take advantage when they should i.e. 

failing to beat teams like Wigan to go 2nd in the league, dont be too disappointed.

I have just checked the October results for the teams currently in the top 10 positions, and only

Birmingham have scored more points (9) than we have (8). WBA, Leeds, PNE, Fulham, Wednesday

also scored 8 points. So in this topsy turvy division perhaps we are doing better than we think we are.

Were you there Sunday though ?

Ignoring the hysterical comments, most "negative" posts are about how we go about playing a home game, and how that had been the case for some time.

Luton was hopefully a one off.

13 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

Interesting that none of the top 10 have won more than 2 of their last 5 games.

I think the frustration comes from it being a missed opportunity and not playing on the front foot in home games. I think people would be more upbeat if we were more attacking at home and got our points from playing entertaining football. It appears that this only happens when Johnson rolls the dice and we go for it in games. 

Having said that, I'm not massively surprised given our injury issues. I feel like there's a lot more to come from this side and we're yet to have one of our purple patches that seem to happen a couple of times a season under LJ. The players returning from injury will hopefully feel like new signings and will allow us to rotate the squad more frequently. 

It is true that we are performing well and picking up results that we wouldn't have in the last few seasons whilst having the worst luck with injuries.

We are very good on the road and the team is able to now see out tricky games where previously we've crumbled.

But our home performances are lacking, maybe not worrying, but probably not good enough for play offs currently. They need to get out of the habit of waiting until they are behind before starting to play.

Other than Sheffield Wednesday last season when was the last time at home we had the feeling that the game was won within the first 30 minutes? 

To be honest, putting some performances aside, I feel like we are where we are, if you know what I mean. 6th in the table, is about right, in amongst the top 6 fight.

With an Afobe or two, a few more draws may have been wins.

With Kalas and J DS, we probably would have conceded less goals.

My feeling is i'm happy for us to just stay in and amongst the top 6/8 until January, where we can reassess, regroup and with the right additions really push on in the second half promotion push for the first time under LJ, with the squad benefitting from the returning players. 

• Admin
Just now, Alessandro said:

My feeling is i'm happy for us to just stay in and amongst the top 6/8 until January, where we can reassess, regroup and with the right additions really push on in the second half promotion push for the first time under LJ, with the squad benefitting from the returning players. 

I really don't want to be negative, but we have all seen how the last few Januarys have gone with signing that one key player

To me the biggest loss is Afobe, we just don't have that presence up front at the moment

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I really don't want to be negative, but we have all seen how the last few Januarys have gone with signing that one key player

To me the biggest loss is Afobe, we just don't have that presence up front at the moment

Yep I can't argue with that. My only hope is that an exception of sorts will be made, given the Afobe injury. I don't know how possible that is budget wise though, but I think the purse strings may be loosened. If we are in the promotion fight again, with the clubs increased outside reputation, perhaps we will also be more attractive to a higher calibre of player than in previous seasons.  

To be honest, it's more about how we're playing than results. Sunday was the pits. We played most of the match like 11 guys who'd never met each other before.

Had we looked slick and going for it throughout, I think everyone would've said "unlucky not to get the win" and accepted a draw. But it wasn't like that.

Until the injuries return (and let's hope they come back as good as they had been - that's not always guaranteed) recent matches augur ill for us. We are due an absolute spanking.

On the contrary: I've been absolutely delighted and surprised at our recent results.

The fact that we've managed to eek out points whilst being absent from midfield, playing loose in defence and lacking a cutting edge going forward is little short of miraculous. Wigan, Reading, Charlton and Luton may look like easy wins if all you do is look at the table, consider promoted teams easy pickings, and look at recent form but at times all four of those teams played far superior football than us. Coming out of those four games with two wins, a draw, and a loss when the only time we were the better team on the pitch was for about 30 minutes of the Charlton game is fantastic.

No doubt we need to be more attacking and entertaining at home - watching City is expensive, Winter's coming,  and there needs to be a modicum of enjoyment and excitement to sitting through games with the prospect of getting very cold or very wet.

We seem to have had particularly bad luck with injuries, but we won't be the only club to have suffered.

As they are long term injuries LJ has had the opportunity to really coach the replacements into cohesive units and these players playing together regularly should really go a long way to negate the absence of others.

We've got a reasonably big squad and all our replacement players are, after all, deemed to be Championship standard so, bar replacing Afobe, we really should expect them to come in fairly seamlessly and there's no reason why they shouldn't take their opportunity, do well, and give LJ a selection headache when players return.

We can make excuses about injuries, and talk about how much better things will be when the injured players return, but there's no guarantee that will be the case, or even that they'll all return in good enough form to get picked.

I certainly expect any 11 City players sent out by LJ to do a lot better than Sunday.

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be honest, it's more about how we're playing than results. Sunday was the pits. We played most of the match like 11 guys who'd never met each other before.

Had we looked slick and going for it throughout, I think everyone would've said "unlucky not to get the win" and accepted a draw. But it wasn't like that.

Until the injuries return (and let's hope they come back as good as they had been - that's not always guaranteed) recent matches augur ill for us. We are due an absolute spanking.

This completely...you can forgive injuries, you can forgive poor form with individuals, or even having to play with knocks....but some of the basics and complete lack of understanding by some leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when some have been here more than a season.

I think we've got away with murder in some games.

38 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Your right. It can be very frustrating when what appears to be a winnable game is only drawn. But that late equiliser must have lifted the morale of our players. Need to sort out Palmer. He tries to keep hold of the ball but then loses possession. That leaves us open to attacks from the opposition. Also we need to get Rodri into the game. What sort of ball does he need? Through the gaps to run onto or to feet? Could Eliason play just behind Weiman upfront?

Saturday Rodri clearly gesticulated 4 or 5 times in the first half where he wanted the ball to be put so that he could run on. Ignored each time!

Lads.....and lasses......it’s a bloody long season! 46 games and so far we’ve played less than a third so absolutely no need to cry over spilled milk.

Yes, it was poor result against Wigan but tbf to them they surprised not only me but pretty much everyone else......they were a lot better than their league position suggests.

A win and Barnsley on Friday and everyone will be happy...............:cool2:

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

This completely...you can forgive injuries, you can forgive poor form with individuals, or even having to play with knocks....but some of the basics and complete lack of understanding by some leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when some have been here more than a season.

I think we've got away with murder in some games.

Another angle is that whilst doing well in terms of position, we might well be missing opportunities whilst others are having a tough time of it for their own reasons. As Spud infers, accept the points but don't overlook the genuine shortcomings. Those we are putting out are more than capable of getting the basics right on a more consistent basis. + our Head Coach agrees with that !

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Lads.....and lasses......it’s a bloody long season! 46 games and so far we’ve played less than a third so absolutely no need to cry over spilled milk.

Yes, it was poor result against Wigan but tbf to them they surprised not only me but pretty much everyone else......they were a lot better than their league position suggests.

*spilt

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think our poor performance made Wigan look better than they are. They must have been surprised City were so awful.

Delighted if we beat Barnsley, of course, but we need to be a lot more positive, entertaining and convincing at home.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think our poor performance made Wigan look better than they are. They must have been surprised City were so awful.

Delighted if we beat Barnsley, of course, but we need to be a lot more positive, entertaining and convincing at home.

It seems to me that away from home LJs cautious approach to counter the opposition largely works, but at home he seems to take the same approach - too much worrying about the opposition and not enough picking a team to take the game to them and let them worry about us!

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

14 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

It seems to me that away from home LJs cautious approach to counter the opposition largely works, but at home he seems to take the same approach - too much worrying about the opposition and not enough picking a team to take the game to them and let them worry about us!

Agreed to a point. Think injuries are playing their role though, but yes I have misgivings tactically too.

Tactical blueprint from either of you, will be interesting to see- game a lot more chess like now, so you kind of have to take the opposition into account even at home, somewhat.

Particularly interested in the desired tactical setup of @Nogbad the Bad- attacking is one thing, but in what structure- what view? 2 up front, wingers- condense midfield, control? How do we reach that desired point, control and dominance?

Remember too, the opposition do- will- have a tactical blueprint and idea of their own- this division is a lot more tactically sophisticated and varied than even 10 years ago!

Archived