IGNORED

Latest City accounts released.

Bristol Rob

Paying bottom half wages, so despite increasing league position probably still beaten to targets by being outpaid, however we spend £101 on wages for every £100 made so we can't exactly push ourselves much further and need to be smart with the money we do spend

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'd really hope so in Villa's case!

We won't know that until their 2018/19 ones released.

Seen one figure that suggests wage bill for them last season- talking total, not weekly- £74m!!

That said, £6m was promotion bonuses but still that's true shit or bust (definitely FFP wise) in final year of parachute payments!?

Shows how well the likes of Preston, Brentford and especially Sheffield United have been doing when you see what their average wage has been.

I think we need to make sure our highest earners are regulars, as otherwise we might as well sell them.

Baker is surely one of our highest earners. Does he do enough? No. Wright, Paterson and Taylor should all be sold too. That will lower our wage bill.

Replace with young players that would likely be on lower wages as well as adding value to our squad as they improve. And bring any through that are ready, like Vyner to replace Wright if he is ready by then.

Also if Watkins is not getting any opportunities then we should sell but unlikely to get much interest.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

I can see the model we’re developing. My concern would be who is next in the pipeline? 

Where does the next 10-20m of player sales come from to balance next years books?

Taylor Moore, Massengo Nagy DaSilva Brownhill, theres plenty in the squad that could be sold for a hefty fee

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

I can see the model we’re developing. My concern would be who is next in the pipeline? 

Where does the next 10-20m of player sales come from to balance next years books?

It depends what we mean by balance the books though.

Do we mean break even/turn a profit each season, do we mean stick to the £13m loss + allowables per season, or do we mean ambition but backed by compliance within the FFP regs?

If it's the latter...I'm not so sure we need to sell anyone next season- subject to contract length, buyout clause or a swoop for Gayle/Assombalonga say.

FWIW, I hope it's the third- we need a more balanced approach with this one and to do things at this level, I'd say we do our best but it needs to be the third IMO.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It depends what we mean by balance the books though.

Dao we mean breakeven/turn a profit, or do we mean ambition backed by compliance?

If it's the latter...I'm not so sure we need to sell anyone next season- subject to contract length, buyout clause or a swoop for Gayle/Assombalonga say.

Of course we probably didn't want to sell Webster but if a player wants to go then he goes.

That will keep the annual losses tolerable but are unlikely to make us better on the pitch - I appreciate every club with decent players lose them to bigger clubs of course, but there is no guarantee our very recent success at turning profits will continue as infinitum.

12 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Of course we probably didn't want to sell Webster but if a player wants to go then he goes.

That will keep the annual losses tolerable but are unlikely to make us better on the pitch - I appreciate every club with decent players lose them to bigger clubs of course, but there is no guarantee our very recent success at turning profits will continue as infinitum.

Yep, true- part of me did wonder if we shouldn't have kept him and offered a guaranteed move in summer 2020- not so much with a fee but a contractual clause, fee of course still to be negotiated, value to be met. So much can happen in that time of course.

Agreed- taking a medium to longer term view, no guarantees at all from the profits front. I'd say that this season and next season though offers an ideal window in which to go for it- no pressure then! Thereafter, yes big sales and trading probably necessary to keep within FFP, especially as it seems to have been getting tightened- so they say- in recent times. We do have strong saleable assets though, maybe part of a calculated risk/go for it scenario could be simply selling nobody (subject to buyout clauses, contract lengths and contract clauses) that we choose not to if we don't do it this season.

We'll make a loss this season fairly sure unless big sales in January- I'd expect the Commercial Revenue to be down as no WC Fan Zone, the wage bill to be up a few million, and net amortisation to be up- these are some of my very early estimates though- we have decent headroom now however.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Chances are that we'll make a loss in 2019/20 IMO.

Don't doubt that.

But we're well within our 13m allowable I suspect and have much more (potential) value in our squad now.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, true- part of me did wonder if we shouldn't have kept him and offered a guaranteed move in summer 2020- not so much with a fee but a contractual clause, fee of course still to be negotiated, value to be met. So much can happen in that time of course.

early estimates though- we have decent headroom now however.

I don't think Webster's value would have held.

He might have had another fantastic season, but would be a year nearer hid contract end, and with a "we'll sell you next year" type clause clubs would be offering less, looking to cause a disruption with the player if we reject.

Can also be argued that Moore's value has shot up as a result of Webster going. He wouldn't have got at much game time had Webster been here, maybe even loaned out again, but thus far he has proven himself more than capable in the Championship.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Don't doubt that.

But we're well within our 13m allowable I suspect and have much more (potential) value in our squad now.

I don't think Webster's value would have held.

He might have had another fantastic season, but would be a year nearer hid contract end, and with a "we'll sell you next year" type clause clubs would be offering less, looking to cause a disruption with the player if we reject.

Can also be argued that Moore's value has shot up as a result of Webster going. He wouldn't have got at much game time had Webster been here, maybe even loaned out again, but thus far he has proven himself more than capable in the Championship.

Agreed on the first bit certainly.

I wonder about the 2nd bit- he's flourishing at Brighton after a slow start, where he didn't get much game time- of course injuries can happen but that is of course a risk- a private agreement with Webster- I just wonder about selling him though nobody can doubt we made a major profit- necessary to sell on balance, but stuck in the craw a bit at the time selling both Kelly and Webster in one summer- yet we added value, developed value and overall had a very good summer- these injuries a real killer now though! 

Yeah, Moore will definitely have a higher value now I'd have thought.

17 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Only a matter of time before the Fewers state that with a new tent they too could make a similar profit.

However, I'm sure they'll be more focused on the money that has been spent in previous years.

They are so out of touch; that they think there are parachute payments to teams relegated from the Championship.

Pretty pointless comparison, we should be looking at the likes of Rotherham with regards to our aims. I don't expect us to hold our own in the Championship, however it would be nice to have a lovely stadium and dip our toe in.

Promotion reward and parachute payment has to be worth a few quid.

• Admin
34 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

They are so out of touch; that they think there are parachute payments to teams relegated from the Championship.

Pretty pointless comparison, we should be looking at the likes of Rotherham with regards to our aims. I don't expect us to hold our own in the Championship, however it would be nice to have a lovely stadium and dip our toe in.

Promotion reward and parachute payment has to be worth a few quid.

Not quite . . . Ipswich lost £9m on TV revenue, but got a payment of £13m

The EFL also operates a Parachute Payment system within the EFL Leagues and the National League.

Clubs relegated from the EFL Championship receive 11.1% of the Basic Award payment to Championship clubs for one season.

Clubs relegated from EFL League One receive 12.6% of the Basic Award payment to League One clubs for one season.

Clubs relegated from EFL League Two receive 100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League Two clubs in the first year following relegation, and 50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League Two clubs in the second year following relegation.[10]

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not quite . . . Ipswich lost £9m on TV revenue, but got a payment of £13m

The EFL also operates a Parachute Payment system within the EFL Leagues and the National League.

Clubs relegated from the EFL Championship receive 11.1% of the Basic Award payment to Championship clubs for one season.

Clubs relegated from EFL League One receive 12.6% of the Basic Award payment to League One clubs for one season.

Clubs relegated from EFL League Two receive 100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League Two clubs in the first year following relegation, and 50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League Two clubs in the second year following relegation.[10]

I stand corrected, Phants.

Any idea what this amounts to in monetary terms ?

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Exactly, a career ending injury can happen in a second

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's the "Football League Pool" line in the second screenshot here. 2.6million for 2019. 11.1% is roughly 288,000.

Cheers.

288,000 is not really a parachute payment then, more of a drop in the ocean.

The Sag obviously thinks these payments are worth far more.

Archived