IGNORED

Taking over 30,000 fans to an away game ...

BS4 on Tour...

No, this ain’t a thread about the sags .... Dynamo Dresden are apparently taking over 30,000 fans to an away game vs Hertha Berlin tomorrow in the second round of the German Cup - they are in the second tier of the German league and the game is 120 miles away - some effort that:

https://www.dw.com/en/dynamo-dresden-and-the-soko-dynamo-58-affected-but-they-mean-all-of-us/a-51033143

Maybe not 30,000, but weren't some major followings of 10-15k reasonably possible in say the 1970s over here for certain away games?

Transport was much cheaper. There were football specials, less restrictions (AT TIMES), cheap tickets, and a lot of home clubs just gave away sides a whole end didn't they- usually all standing behind the goal so there was scope for serious numbers?

That 30k is some effort though!!

29 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No, this ain’t a thread about the sags .... Dynamo Dresden are apparently taking over 30,000 fans to an away game vs Hertha Berlin tomorrow in the second round of the German Cup - they are in the second tier of the German league and the game is 120 miles away - some effort that:

https://www.dw.com/en/dynamo-dresden-and-the-soko-dynamo-58-affected-but-they-mean-all-of-us/a-51033143

The German clubs take huge followings away, particularly to Berlin. The Dresden to Berlin run is one I've done a few times for work and it's autobahn the whole way with very few speed restrictions. 90 minutes is ample.

I've been to a Hertha game where Dortmund took 30k and that's a hell of a lot further but most just spend the whole weekend in the capital. 

Impressive!   "Supporters not Customers"   That is spot on.  I admire the way German fans stand up for themselves and each other, and don't put up with shit, and being taken advantage of.  All power to them.  Having been to a Dortmund home game, I can recommend the atmosphere, singing and beer!  Might go to see Dresden next time?

12 hours ago, Spoons said:

Having watched a few German games in the past the ticket for the game also includes transport to the game locally. 

Cracking idea, only happens at Brighton over here where a match ticket gets you transport to/from game. 

When I was in OZ and went to Perth Glory games you'd get free transport as well 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

When do you think we will have to start reducing away travel as part of the "green drive"? Playing devils advocate, the argument could be made that this is unnecessary travel and beambacks should become the norm. 

Well if it’s communal travel by bus or train then that’s a lot better than going by numerous car loads. Although nobody going at all would carbon neutral, including the team!!

Archived