IGNORED

Our striker problems - try Kasey up top?

robc

We have a real problem holding the ball up front. Playing Diedhiou as a lone striker (with Weimann just behind) does not play to his strengths and I don’t think it suits Rodri either, judging from the Wigan game. (How we miss Afobe?) Without Diedhiou against Barnsley I guess that we’ll persist with Rodri with Semenyo and Szmodics as back up, but none of them are suited to the role either. I just wonder if it might be an idea to try Kasey Palmer up top. He’s strong and got a great first touch and is more than capable of holding the ball up until team mates get within reach. He has also got an eye for a goal. He works well with Weimann and Semenyo (who I’d try out wide rather than centrally to reduce the weight of expectation on him). What do others think? Could Kasey be worth a try as our (temporary) no.9?

6 minutes ago, robc said:

We have a real problem holding the ball up front. Playing Diedhiou as a lone striker (with Weimann just behind) does not play to his strengths and I don’t think it suits Rodri either, judging from the Wigan game. (How we miss Afobe?) Without Diedhiou against Barnsley I guess that we’ll persist with Rodri with Semenyo and Szmodics as back up, but none of them are suited to the role either. I just wonder if it might be an idea to try Kasey Palmer up top. He’s strong and got a great first touch and is more than capable of holding the ball up until team mates get within reach. He has also got an eye for a goal. He works well with Weimann and Semenyo (who I’d try out wide rather than centrally to reduce the weight of expectation on him). What do others think? Could Kasey be worth a try as our (temporary) no.9?

Possibly could work similarly to Bobby but not one to try at Barnsley away on a Friday night.

Think he would need to cut back on his unnecessary flicks if he played up top.

Don't think it would work, he's not used to making the runs, he's the one trying to pick them out. I also don't think he's a very good finisher. 

I'd stick with Rodri tomorrow. He's at least getting the odd chance which is more than can be said for the likes of Taylor/Semenyo. 

Let’s be honest LJ is going there for a win and nothing less. He will do what he needs to do as 3 points on this one is very important. Posts like putting players in that position or this position and respectively every one has there point of view but i think you agree LJ will put his best team out and have players in positions to get the 3 points as if he doesn’t and we go down the OTIB will go in to melt down as there are many of us quick to react and any thing less than a win will bring out the critics with valid reasons 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If LJ did this there’d be folks on here criticising him and banging on about ‘ square pegs and round holes etc ‘ 

We have available Weiman, Rodri , Semenyo for Friday night and a strong attacking midfield that should be enough to get something . 

"Tinkering " might get a mention? 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Don't think it would work, he's not used to making the runs, he's the one trying to pick them out. I also don't think he's a very good finisher. 

I'd stick with Rodri tomorrow. He's at least getting the odd chance which is more than can be said for the likes of Taylor/Semenyo. 

Taylor's currently on 4 goals for Oxford so must be getting chances to score.

2 hours ago, robc said:

I'd rather try O'Dowda up top. Hes obv not a target man, but he is quick and can find space

7 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

I'd rather try O'Dowda up top. Hes obv not a target man, but he is quick and can find space

I daresay that LJ and his staff have looked at what other options they have in the striker position. 

They all see the players training virtually every day  and so far none of the current squad have impressed the coaches with their goalscoring ability as Booby Reid had done so I can’t see any of them stepping into the striker role.

I wonder if Palmer will ever be a player that runs more than he does. There was one game where I said at half time 'LJ has turned Palmer into Bobby Reid!' Though he could barely run after half time. So the effort was there, but for some reason just can't get his fitness levels up. I think he may conserve his energy slightly so he can make it to 70 mins.

I think he's fine as a number 10 with a number 9 ahead of him. But someone ideally with more pace and power than Weimann. Weimann has shown he isn't really a true number 9. More a 9.5 type striker that does a bit of everything, and ideal for certain strikers like Afobe, but not others like Fam.

I wonder about Palmer as a striker. It's not only the work rate, but the movement too. I've yet to see great movement from him.

He is strong and technical and decent pace. I'd love to have someone with all those attributes up top. But they need the movement and work rate too.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

LJ might surprise us with Marley Watkins, definitely worth a shout

LJ said we are bringing in Rodri because we need 4 strikers. So I guess that means he doesn't even class Watkins as a striker.

7 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I forgot about Weimann for a moment...?‍♂️Completely agree with you. Maybe Weimann up front then..

So far I don't think he's shown he can do it on his own. He doesn't look quick enough to play on the shoulder and get onto through balls and he doesn't look strong enough to hold it up.

He's more of a partner for a number 9 like Afobe imo.

49 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I wonder if Palmer will ever be a player that runs more than he does. There was one game where I said at half time 'LJ has turned Palmer into Bobby Reid!' Though he could barely run after half time. So the effort was there, but for some reason just can't get his fitness levels up. I think he may conserve his energy slightly so he can make it to 70 mins.

I think he's fine as a number 10 with a number 9 ahead of him. But someone ideally with more pace and power than Weimann. Weimann has shown he isn't really a true number 9. More a 9.5 type striker that does a bit of everything, and ideal for certain strikers like Afobe, but not others like Fam.

I wonder about Palmer as a striker. It's not only the work rate, but the movement too. I've yet to see great movement from him.

He is strong and technical and decent pace. I'd love to have someone with all those attributes up top. But they need the movement and work rate too.

LJ said we are bringing in Rodri because we need 4 strikers. So I guess that means he doesn't even class Watkins as a striker.

Watkins isn't a striker so no he wouldn't. 

26 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Watkins isn't a striker so no he wouldn't. 

He played there loads for Barnsley when they were top half championship side. And played there for us too, so he is, but LJ must not think he's good enough.

Palmer is too comfortable at the moment, he is capable of so much more!

We all know he has an eye for a good pass, that only works if he can use the ball properly, at the moment he is letting himself and the team down - constantly swapping the ball to left/right foot with man on and getting robbed with ease, too predictable!

Archived