IGNORED

Barnsley’s problems?

Leveller

I know we’ll have a match day thread tomorrow, but does anybody have a handle on what is going on at Barnsley?

It’s no surprise, generally, to see them yo-yoing and struggling whenever they get back into the Championship.

However, not so long ago I thought they had one of those dream takeovers, and now had one of the richest owners in the league? That seems to have gone sour very quickly, with their forum reading ominously like Gaschat, ie talk of the mega wealthy owners not spending any money and not communicating at all with the fans.

Is it another case of wealthy Chinese owners buying up a small club to try and squeeze a profit out of it, rather than investing properly for the big time?

28 minutes ago, Mark barton said:

Will so many clubs generally running at loss I would imagine there is minimal hope of making a profit out of Barnsley. There annual turn over is probably one of the smallest in this league.

You sense that property development is often at the heart of the thing, not trading profits. But I think Barnsley sold their ground to the council some years ago, to avoid liquidation.

IMO stems from when they were up near the playoffs and already in profit for, or breaking even for the 2016/17 season- sold Bree, Hourihane and Winall- though in partial defence at least 2 of their contracts expired in the summer. Then Scowen and Watkins (don't laugh) followed rejecting in the summer and Roberts sold- selling club yes, but that January sent out a terrible message to remaining players etc.

Always wondered why Chinese would want to buy Barnsley...

I thought the title was going to be referring to the way they feel about us and LJ. 

I am surprised we haven't had our biannual visit from a couple of them saying how we will soon be seeing through LJ or how he will drop us like a hot potato when another club comes in for him. Much like the people who crop up on here after every poor result claiming he is a fraud, I suppose they are using the "stopped clock principle" that they will eventually be right. 

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

IMO stems from when they were up near the playoffs and already in profit for, or breaking even for the 2016/17 season- sold Bree, Hourihane and Winall- though in partial defence at least 2 of their contracts expired in the summer. Then Scowen and Watkins (don't laugh) followed rejecting in the summer and Roberts sold- selling club yes, but that January sent out a terrible message to remaining players etc.

Always wondered why Chinese would want to buy Barnsley...

Play in red? Good luck? Don't forget the money they would have got for the Stones sell on to Man City. 

Barnsley's average gates in recent years aren't too bad to be honest, there are a few years where they are as good as ours, and they can get some big gates on occasion. The average is probably propped up by their geographical position and how many teams are within easy travelling distance.

They are owned by the same company who own OGC Nice in France and work a model based entirely on Statistics of players. Buying players at low prices with good stats behind them and then selling on for profit. 

Their overhaul of players that got them promoted, ie; Moore to Wigan, Lindsay and Davies to Stoke, Pinnock to Brentford has totally killed the spine of their team and they tried to piece it together with players (some never played at this level) with good 'stats'.

I think theyve done exceedingly well with the team theyve got now after losing some really top players. Sacking the coach who turned their fortunes around is a masterstroke of idiocy. 

They ain't no mugs and are direct in their play getting it forward fast. Mind you, they are susceptible to a blunder.

This game worries me, any game that ain't on a saturday at 3pm worries me. 

2 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

They are owned by the same company who own OGC Nice in France and work a model based entirely on Statistics of players. Buying players at low prices with good stats behind them and then selling on for profit. 

Their overhaul of players that got them promoted, ie; Moore to Wigan, Lindsay and Davies to Stoke, Pinnock to Brentford has totally killed the spine of their team and they tried to piece it together with players (some never played at this level) with good 'stats'.

I think theyve done exceedingly well with the team theyve got now after losing some really top players. Sacking the coach who turned their fortunes around is a masterstroke of idiocy. 

They ain't no mugs and are direct in their play getting it forward fast. Mind you, they are susceptible to a blunder.

This game worries me, any game that ain't on a saturday at 3pm worries me. 

After two years and a promotion, the fans seem to loathe the owners already.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought the title was going to be referring to the way they feel about us and LJ. 

I am surprised we haven't had our biannual visit from a couple of them saying how we will soon be seeing through LJ or how he will drop us like a hot potato when another club comes in for him. Much like the people who crop up on here after every poor result claiming he is a fraud, I suppose they are using the "stopped clock principle" that they will eventually be right. 

On the subject of posters from Barnsley, whatever happened to Barnsley Tyke?

I seem to recall he made one, presumably drunken post wishing some ill fortune on the club and/or its players and supporters, but was he actually banned or has he just simply stopped posting?

Archived