IGNORED

"WEDLOCK - The First Hero of Bristol City"

Tricky Woo

Just to let everyone know, that the Billy Wedlock book is now on general sale at the website below:- 

http://billywedlockonline.co.uk/ (Read details at website before purchasing below) - 

DIRECT LINK TO BUY SOFTBACKhttp://www.lulu.com/shop/http://www.lulu.com/shop/d-p-hurley/wedlock-the-first-hero-of-bristol-city/paperback/product-24287668.html

DIRECT LINK TO BUY HARDBACKhttp://www.lulu.com/shop/d-p-hurley/wedlock-the-first-hero-of-bristol-city-hardback/hardcover/product-24287662.html

Book promotion on the Geoff Twentyman show "Sound of the City" (from Monday night) - (about 37 minutes in) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07qrqwx

Book promotion via the Bristol Post (from Monday) - Why the 100-year-old story of Bristol City legend Billy Wedlock still matters in 2019

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/100-year-old-story-bristol-3468601

Deluxe WEDLOCK BLUE Cover - 30-09-2019-page-001 (1).jpg

Wedlock BLUE DELUXE Cover 30-09-2019 JPG.jpg

He grew very fat in his retirement years (running the pub) - but before that, its a bit of a mystery. He was known as "Fatty" from AT LEAST his early 20's (when playing for Aberdare) - and the nickname then followed him to Bristol City. We think he had a big battle keeping the pounds off when he was a footballer (taking regular trips to the scales, etc - when the other players would have noticed) - BUT, that he managed to keep in trim - JUST. Please be aware however, that the "Blue shirt" cover image is a, er - "Computer-produced" image. The other one (the "red one") IS NOT - that one has simply been colourised.        

Does anyone know what has happened to the Wedlock pub site? Has anything been planned for it yet? If I had the money I'd develop it into a memorial garden.

Couple of interesting links below.
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersW/BioWedlockWJ.html
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/special-features/england-international-caps-legendary-bristol-897473

Does anyone really bother about football 100 years ago ? I mean i didnt start till 1999 but no bugger is alive that would have seen him play. 

'No book has ever been written to tell the story of the most mythical and iconic figure in Bristol City's history - until now.'

I mean i didnt start watching till 1999 but no one is alive that would remember seeing him play. 

38 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

Does anyone really bother about football 100 years ago ? I mean i didnt start till 1999 but no bugger is alive that would have seen him play. 

'No book has ever been written to tell the story of the most mythical and iconic figure in Bristol City's history - until now.'

I mean i didnt start watching till 1999 but no one is alive that would remember seeing him play. 

But the greatest player in the history of the club? Captained the team to its only FA Cup Final appearance, 26 caps for England - connected to the club for 60 years of his life? What about all his fans, his customers in the pub (pre-1965) friends, family etc - many of whom - and I know this for a fact - are still loyal supporters of the club today. I think that is incredibly disrespectful. The words of a Bristol City fan? I hope no members of the Wedlock family are reading this thread!

15 minutes ago, Tricky Woo said:

But the greatest player in the history of the club? What about all his fans, his customers in the pub (pre-1965) friends, family etc - many of whom - and I know this for a fact - are still loyal supporters of the club today. I think that is incredibly disrespectful.

Well in his defence Wedlock wasn't part of his generation of football. The only reason young fans now are aware of Cruyff and the likes are because of FIFA legends. 

Thing is legends like Wedlock are from an era where football was completely different, more meaningful maybe. Off the field players were more in touch with the community and even supported the club. Looks a good read so I am going to have a look at purchasing tomorrow as payday has now arrived! Thanks for the heads up!

8 hours ago, Tricky Woo said:

But the greatest player in the history of the club? Captained the team to its only FA Cup Final appearance, 26 caps for England - connected to the club for 60 years of his life? What about all his fans, his customers in the pub (pre-1965) friends, family etc - many of whom - and I know this for a fact - are still loyal supporters of the club today. I think that is incredibly disrespectful. The words of a Bristol City fan? I hope no members of the Wedlock family are reading this thread!

Sorry if I touched a nerve . I was only pointing out the fact that the story is 100 years old. Didn't anybody write about him at the time ?

Also just looked up the final online. Says we played in Blue!

10 hours ago, T R said:

Does anyone know what has happened to the Wedlock pub site? Has anything been planned for it yet? If I had the money I'd develop it into a memorial garden.

Couple of interesting links below.
http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersW/BioWedlockWJ.html
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/special-features/england-international-caps-legendary-bristol-897473

It’s lain undeveloped since the pub’s demolition ,what, 10/15 years ago? I think the PubCo have a restrictive covenant on the land that means it can’t be used as a pub again, wether that is sine die or not I am not sure but given the boom in housing in the area, Ashton Rise, the old Brewery and the Sports Village at AG itself etc a decent pub there would maybe once again be viable. 

Just looked him up, the pub was called the Star Inn, he received many accolades in his career as a gentleman, “one of the worlds wonders in getting the ball” either in the air and on the ground, a fair player and most surprisingly only 5ft 5in tall. In his career he didn’t score many as it was only 18 from 1900 to 1921.

10 hours ago, Furious Custard said:

Made me laugh ? guess you're not into history then? Sod the Romans, Vikings and Egyptians...no one will be interested in them as no one is still alive ??

Always good to know the history of your Club...brings you closer.

When a player signs...lots of Clubs give them a history lesson or book. So they understand the culture and fans and previous players and achievements.

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Would like to buy this book, will it be on sale at Ashton Gate?

Mike Adams of the City Trust and Supporters Club is looking into the possibility. He is also arranging a Book Signing that is to take place on the Mezzanine Floor of the Sports Bar - Notts Forest home game - November 23rd.

2 hours ago, Furious Custard said:

Sorry if I touched a nerve . I was only pointing out the fact that the story is 100 years old. Didn't anybody write about him at the time ?

Also just looked up the final online. Says we played in Blue!

Um Yeh - that's why on the hardback edition, he is in blue! The back of the book explains that no book was written about him at the time.

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

Made me laugh ? guess you're not into history then? Sod the Romans, Vikings and Egyptians...no one will be interested in them as no one is still alive ??

Always good to know the history of your Club...brings you closer.

When a player signs...lots of Clubs give them a history lesson or book. So they understand the culture and fans and previous players and achievements.

Exactly. A lot of people enjoy history - local history, family history etc.

Personally I’m far more likely to buy this than a book about a recently retired player that I saw play.

38 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

My father kept this article from The Green Un of March 24, 1956 regarding Billy Wedlock. My late father was born in 1929, so he never seen Wedlock play but held him in such reverence that he kept this article until his dying day. He would've loved to have had a book on the great man.

2019-11-01 10.41.31.jpg

My dad did exactly the same thing....

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

My father kept this article from The Green Un of March 24, 1956 regarding Billy Wedlock. My late father was born in 1929, so he never seen Wedlock play but held him in such reverence that he kept this article until his dying day. He would've loved to have had a book on the great man.

2019-11-01 10.41.31.jpg

Thanks for this! This is absolutely fantastic!  Will have a closer look at this article on the P C when I get home. We used that photo though, in one of the last pages in the book. Haven't seen that complete article before though. 

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

2019-11-01 10.41.31.jpg

It's fantastic that you've been able to keep the article and that it also has a lot of emotional attachment with regards to your dad. 

Worth having it professionally framed. They could even iron out the creases.

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but @Tricky Woo is the best name I've seen on here. You're either a time travelling Pekingese that can type or a James Herriot fan or both.

Either way, you made me smile today. I might just dig out If Only They Could Talk for the 59th time. 

Ha ha! I just love that Tristan Farnon mind! I had to think of a log-in name, and just happened to be watching an old episode (A C G & S) on Drama at the time. It was either Mrs Pomphrey or Tricki Woo. The latter won the day. :laugh:! 

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

It’s lain undeveloped since the pub’s demolition ,what, 10/15 years ago? I think the PubCo have a restrictive covenant on the land that means it can’t be used as a pub again, wether that is sine die or not I am not sure but given the boom in housing in the area, Ashton Rise, the old Brewery and the Sports Village at AG itself etc a decent pub there would maybe once again be viable. 

It sounds like a legal nightmare. It is a shame because wedlock pub was really good. Really surprised how quick they knocked it down, and the ship & castle. 2 pubs with great trade on match days. This paragraph below sounds like what has happened to the wedlock site. Found it from a PubCo pdf.

WITH an unprecedented avalanche of pubs on the market, there is a worrying trend that has emerged, led by the big pub companies. Freeholds are being offered for sale – but with a catch; a covenant is put in place which means the building can never again be used as a pub! Enterprise Inns have been the biggest culprit, often when they have another pub in the vicinity. As they own over 8,000 pubs with ever-increasing vacancies, this activity is becoming increasingly common. Covenants are a loophole in the law; it is usually illegal to deliberately restrict free competition. Clearly, the pub company believes it can boost the trade and value at it’s remaining nearby pub. Examples locally include the Bell in Redcliff and the Red Cow in Bedminster. Both historic buildings and once vibrant, now after centuries of use as pubs any future entrepreneur will be denied the
Bristol CAMRA Pubs Campaigning Group
Pub company could close your local for good! Scandal of the restrictive covenant
opportunity to restore their fortunes (as we have seen is possible at other pubs in both areas recently with the Cornubia and Seven Stars in Redcliff and several pubs in Bedminster). The issue has become noticed in Parliament. MP Greg Mulholland submitted a Commons motion calling on the government to stop this activity. The member of the All-Party Parliamentary Beer Group said that the practice has resulted in a decline in local community pubs, saying: “The practice of slapping restrictive covenants on a pub is a scandal and must be stopped. “As well as being so clearly anti-competitive, this means that faceless pub companies are permanently closing people’s locals against their wishes simply to further their own commercial ends.” We can only hope that the Government listens.

9 hours ago, City oz said:

Just looked him up, the pub was called the Star Inn, he received many accolades in his career as a gentleman, “one of the worlds wonders in getting the ball” either in the air and on the ground, a fair player and most surprisingly only 5ft 5in tall. In his career he didn’t score many as it was only 18 from 1900 to 1921.

Well, he was a centre-half!

5 hours ago, Tricky Woo said:

Thanks for this! This is absolutely fantastic!  Will have a closer look at this article on the P C when I get home. We used that photo though, in one of the last pages in the book. Haven't seen that complete article before though. 

If you have difficulty reading it I will try to photograph it in sections and put it on here. At moment a bit tiddly after a drink with the lads and will be having another drink tonight watching City so I am more likely to make a faux pas and picture my copies of Fiesta.

Archived