IGNORED

"WEDLOCK - The First Hero of Bristol City"

Tricky Woo

6 hours ago, handsofclay said:

My father kept this article from The Green Un of March 24, 1956 regarding Billy Wedlock. My late father was born in 1929, so he never seen Wedlock play but held him in such reverence that he kept this article until his dying day. He would've loved to have had a book on the great man.

2019-11-01 10.41.31.jpg

Pleased to say, there is nothing in the article which is particularly "new", or which hasn't gone into the book. But extremely interesting though! And a good couple of Wedlock quotes which were kinda "new", although I had seen variations on them before. The one thing I did not know was that Billy Hibbard of Bury was one of his best friends. Now THAT WOULD have gone into the book! Curious mis-spelling of "Arlington Rovers" as "Harlington". Very interesting. 

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

If you have difficulty reading it I will try to photograph it in sections and put it on here. At moment a bit tiddly after a drink with the lads and will be having another drink tonight watching City so I am more likely to make a faux pas and picture my copies of Fiesta.

It's fine, I can see most of it. It's only over those creases it look hard to read, and that is very FRUSTRATING for me! But I can see most of it though. It's great!

2 minutes ago, Tricky Woo said:

It's fine, I can see most of it. It's only over those creases it look hard to read, and that is very FRUSTRATING for me! But I can see most of it though. It's great!

6 hours ago, handsofclay said:

My father kept this article from The Green Un of March 24, 1956 regarding Billy Wedlock. My late father was born in 1929, so he never seen Wedlock play but held him in such reverence that he kept this article until his dying day. He would've loved to have had a book on the great man.

2019-11-01 10.41.31.jpg

Once again, thank you very much for uploading that! This has made my day! One last thing of note - Wedlock's grandson mentioned in the article - John Wedlock - he would be about aged 65 / 66 years old now then - and I'm told he occasionally drinks in the Cooper's Arms.  

10 minutes ago, Tricky Woo said:

It's also annoying for our family as my father used to have a butler who ironed his papers before presenting them for him to read. Unfortunately, the butler refused to iron the old Green Un  and Pink Uns because back in the 1950s they were printed on green and Pink paper and the heat from the iron used to make the colours run onto the flat of the iron and he used to have Hell's work cleaning it off so that it wouldn't transfer onto my father's shirts.

13 minutes ago, Tricky Woo said:

Once again, thank you very much for uploading that! This has made my day! One last thing of note - Wedlock's grandson mentioned in the article - John Wedlock - he would be about aged 65 / 66 years old now then - and I'm told he occasionally drinks in the Cooper's Arms.  

Are there any plans to bring the book out on kindle?

10 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It's also annoying for our family as my father used to have a butler who ironed his papers before presenting them for him to read. Unfortunately, the butler refused to iron the old Green Un  and Pink Uns because back in the 1950s they were printed on green and Pink paper and the heat from the iron used to make the colours run onto the flat of the iron and he used to have Hell's work cleaning it off so that it wouldn't transfer onto my father's shirts.

That is one amazing story!

10 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

There are. Watch this space. I will try and get back to you on that. And alternatively, keep an eye out on the Wedlock website, where I think it currently says "To be Advised" or something like that, in the relevant area. 

27 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

One last thing, if you want to get a freebie "preview", the book is now searchable on googlebooks. You can scan through quite a lot of pages in about, the first 1/3 of the book. Pretty useful. 

Archived