IGNORED

Barnsley v City Match Day 15

Davefevs

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Since when did censorship have a part to play on otib? I think the vast majority enjoy non City fans' views. Makes life a whole lot more interesting. Perhaps yours is already overflowing with excess joy. 

Not censorship, just don't understand what would motivate a Wednesday fan to come on a Bristol city forum and read every reply in search of a mention of a goalkeeper so he could make a really dull comment about Westwood, a keeper who failed at the top level. 

Nause. 

11 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Not censorship, just don't understand what would motivate a Wednesday fan to come on a Bristol city forum and read every reply in search of a mention of a goalkeeper so he could make a really dull comment about Westwood, a keeper who failed at the top level. 

Nause. 

No need to try and understand; only a need to respect an opinion from wherever it comes.

Why take Watkins off ? who in my opinion was holding the ball up well, winning fouls, getting in the oppositions faces, winding up the crowd and generally doing alright. We bring Semenyo on and there's no hold up play and the ball is going straight back to Barnsley , his positional play and first touch are awful and is never a threat in front of goal. I really hope the kid makes it but feel he needs a few seasons in the lower leagues like Taylor Moore did.

so last night we played without Afobe, Dasilva ,Famara, Hunt, Nagy, Smith and lost Brownhill early in the piece against a Barnsley side desperate to perform for their new manager. We controlled large parts of the game and scored two goals from "corners" and looked set for 3 points, had Weimann not slipped several times in the 1st half when in good positions we may have been further ahead. Massengo again a huge positive. In the last 15 minutes we lacked composure and were punished. With players coming back we have every chance of pushing for the top two. Disappointing to drop two points, as it was on Wednesday, but all very much to play for and much to be positive about not least the way Taylor Moore has performed all season.

37 minutes ago, westonred said:

Why take Watkins off ? who in my opinion was holding the ball up well, winning fouls, getting in the oppositions faces, winding up the crowd and generally doing alright. We bring Semenyo on and there's no hold up play and the ball is going straight back to Barnsley , his positional play and first touch are awful and is never a threat in front of goal. I really hope the kid makes it but feel he needs a few seasons in the lower leagues like Taylor Moore did.

I totally agree. I can only guess that Watkins was running out of gas having not played all season, there was no other reason to take him off. 

As for Semenyo, it almost seems to me like we’ve backed ourselves into a corner of having to play him. He’s the only ‘home grown’ option we have and he was hyped hugely last season when he came back from his loan spell. He then played well at Preston and seemed to be viewed as the next big thing. The problem is that, since that time, he’s looked way out of his depth but all our other options are out on loan so he has to be involved. The worst thing for me is that he’s barely looked like he’s been trying, which I hope is a confidence thing rather than anything else. 

I really want the boy to come good but on the evidence I’ve seen he’s either not good enough full stop or he needs a couple of years on loan himself to develop. 

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Could be 2 Reds, should be one for the first challenge, Ref was poor IMO, seemed to give us nothing as the game went on.

im with you on that,the first one was nasty with massengo well past him,the second was a reckless challenge 100% to stop him going any further.both Barnsley players were probably pissed off with getting beaten by a kid.

Forget the, " glass half full," forget the, "we're 5th," forget the, "we've key players out."

Face facts - we really aren't that good and have a largish squad comprised of many utter non-entities at our disposal. That we're so high in the league is more to do with the opposition than ourselves.

Bentley was MoM for a reason (again) and so long as the likes of Massengo and Kalas have  'off nights' we'll struggle. Defense is keeping us in it but only to an extent. The diminutive midfielders so beloved of WeeLee are, let's be honest, crap. The Mock Mick has neither the ability to hold and control the ball or beat his man. Recently WeeLee appears to play him deeper in a defensive capability which is an expensive liability. I'll forgive him their first as I assume somebody marshalling our defence called him to switch his marker late on giving their bloke a free run, but look at his positioning and movement for their equaliser when he again doesn't know whether to stick or twist, is static, picks up nobody and eventually does nothing to prevent the ball coming across. The way he dives at the slightest touch is embarrassing. Ditto Little Miss Stepover who actually cut down on his trademark last night but who other than the one decent corner he did manage to deliver showed again he's lightweight in the challenge, does not have the ability to beat an opponent and has little or no end product (yet somehow manages to top all the 'effective stats' lists for City - somebody remind me what Disraeli said about stats?) How many more dreadful free kicks will he be allowed to take? Pearson has me yearning for a return for the Motherwell wonderkid (and I rated him a vacuous waste of space.) He's the footballing equivalent of Dark Matter. The teamsheet shows he's there, other than by deduction he's beyond detection and even the rocket scientists of this world have no idea as to what purpose he serves? It wasn't disappointing we were unable to see out a two goal lead (that sometimes happens.) It was wholly unforgivable that for the final 10 minutes our midfield were signally unable to hold and retain possession for longer than 5 seconds and were clueless in trying to close out the result against poor, struggling and under pressure opposition.

Upfront we know we've no firepower and whilst it was a very neat finish from Weimann in truth that was the single piece of quality we produced all night. Another flappy-handed runaround and his panic cross come shot early doors will make the bloopers section on Soccer AM today. Semenyo has never been that forward (in either sense) but is going backward at speed. Continuing to play him in this way will do nothing for his long term future, not I'm that sure he has one at anything above Tier 4.

Remember, this in the period where it was revealed it's this 'talent' that sees City lose upward of £500k p/w.......

1 hour ago, westonred said:

We bring Semenyo on and there's no hold up play and the ball is going straight back to Barnsley , his positional play and first touch are awful and is never a threat in front of goal. I really hope the kid makes it but feel he needs a few seasons in the lower leagues like Taylor Moore did.

And is Semenyo supposed to be a brighter talent than Eisa? I am not buying that argument. I can only think that Eisa had a character flaw for LJ.

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

The perfect definition of whataboutism right there.

Whataboutism is where you raise a point that has naff all to do with the original argument. 

The best team in a league by a mile losing to the bottom team is a very valid reference to this particular discussion considering we’re having a meltdown about how we should have beaten them ‘because they’re bottom’....‘because they haven’t won since xxxx’

They played well and deserved a point. People need to get over it. We played awfully on Sunday and deserved none. It happens, it’s football not science, take the point, hopefully learn something from it and move on. 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

And is Semenyo supposed to be a brighter talent than Eisa? I am not buying that argument. I can only think that Eisa had a character flaw for LJ.

Or is it LJ is the one with the character flaw? If the players have so much difficulty keeping possession what is going on in training? Injuries have not helped but thats not the whole story.

It’s tactical and team decisions that are causing us to drop points, just look at the last couple of seasons and the reasons for the streaks. Obvious where the buck stops, but you will get vilified for saying it!

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

Yes, we have had a load of injuries, but so have other teams, so there's little point regurgitating this issue.

Also, although like everyone else I'm longing for the return of Nagy, Smith, DaSilva, Afobe etc, there is no guarantee they'll shine like they did before (though I hope to God they do !)

6 hours ago, J-mat said:

What the **** are you doing here? Nause. 

You speak only for yourself with such an aggressive response which is completely at odds with the mood of a generally friendly forum.

@OwlsonlineAdmin is very welcome on here afaic., as are all reasonable and non confrontational fans of other clubs.

Your hostile reaction is absurd - he's not an opposition hooligan trying to muscle his way into the old East End, he's just a fellow football fan giving his opinion on City and the Championship.

11 hours ago, italian dave said:

Is it just my imagination, or is the length of the matchday thread directly proportionate to how good (7-10 pages) or bad (15+pages) the result.?

Some people just love a good moan! 

Possibly the increased length of thread is because, when there is a defeat, there is more to discuss. With a poor performance everyone has an opinion on what went wrong; the tactics and formation; substitutions etc. With a win there are only so many ways you can it was good. 

11 hours ago, italian dave said:

Is it just my imagination, or is the length of the matchday thread directly proportionate to how good (7-10 pages) or bad (15+pages) the result.?

Some people just love a good moan! 

It is human nature to give more mental space - be more preoccupied with - that which is negative or going wrong or might go wrong, than that which is positive and going well.

The propensity of football supporters and those on otib to moan about setbacks more than we cheer triumphs is a result of thousands of years of necessary evolutionary adaptation to our environment. 

True story. Bloke in the Coopers told me

11 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Possibly the increased length of thread is because, when there is a defeat, there is more to discuss. With a poor performance everyone has an opinion on what went wrong; the tactics and formation; substitutions etc. With a win there are only so many ways you can it was good. 

11 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It is human nature to give more mental space - be more preoccupied with - that which is negative or going wrong or might go wrong, than that which is positive and going well.

The propensity of football supporters and those on otib to moan about setbacks more than we cheer triumphs is a result of thousands of years of necessary evolutionary adaptation to our environment. 

True story. Bloke in the Coopers told me

Like I said, people love a good moan!!

On 02/11/2019 at 10:25, dave36 said:

Or is it LJ is the one with the character flaw? If the players have so much difficulty keeping possession what is going on in training? Injuries have not helped but thats not the whole story.

It’s tactical and team decisions that are causing us to drop points, just look at the last couple of seasons and the reasons for the streaks. Obvious where the buck stops, but you will get vilified for saying it!

Brilliant post and exactly that as mentioned..... we defend deep at home and only invite pressure and again from a comfortable position Friday get deeper and deeper and allow them back in and I'm sorry but that comes from instructions from LJ and Co and it's not good enough. It's repetitive season after season and still we don't learn.

On 01/11/2019 at 21:44, Alex_BCFC said:

We won’t get anything out of Cardiff either so disaster of a goal that. 

On 01/11/2019 at 21:45, ChippenhamRed said:

Lottery numbers please.

On 01/11/2019 at 21:46, Alex_BCFC said:

We never get anything there - and against a physical side we will get undone. 

Really worrying times since Preston away - combination of injuries and poor play. 

You see @Alex_BCFC - never write off a game before it’s been played!

Archived