IGNORED

Why are England not as successful in Football as they are in Cricket and Rugby?

Unan

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Spot on, but to further prove my point, the French national team since the influx of foreign players has declined considerably in the last 10 years.

Has nothing to do with my point though, the point was money spoils the premier league whereas rugby players play for pride, moving abroad making yourself ineligible for national selection would fit with the perception of football and the premier league

We are good at Football and have been good at Football.

Personally cant stand Rugby fans using the success to beat Football with a stick.

There are far more top quality Football Countries than Rugby. Not only that the average/poor countries are far better than the likes of Canada at Rugby. You rarely see any shocks in a Rugby World Cup, whereas in Football even the likes of Senegal have a couple of World Class players. Compare that to say Uruguay in Rugby who have zero world class players.

The reason the FIFA World Cup is the most coveted Tournament in Sport, is because it's the hardest to Win.

There are 11 Test nations , and that includes teams like Afghanistan . Realistically , challenging , 6/7 at a push.

There were 16 teams in the RWC, again only probably 6 challenging to get to the final.

Eruo Championships in football, since the '64 only 2 teams have managed to win it twice, seven different winners. That shows how hard it is to win that. Even the World Cup, where you do have repeat winners, 5 different winners in the last 5 tournaments .

Those are the simple facts before you get to the , Rugby and Cricket (as sports bodies) want to win tournaments and are the main focus, the Rugby team started warm up games in August, it's now November. The England Cricket team are centrally contracted so they only play domestic cricket in certain circumstances. With football everyone bows down to the Premier League and the National team is a poor second. 

And yet only 9 teams have won the football World Cup in 90 odd years. It amounts to the same thing. Only the truly elite teams can realistically win any World Cup. In football there are more average/above average teams so it’s a bigger tournament but apart from a few shocks here and there they are basically making up the numbers.

I don’t think England have had an elite football team in my lifetime. We’ve had above average to very good teams and that is why we get to the quarterfinals and occasionally semi finals

Archived