IGNORED

How important is tonight?

formerly known as ivan

After the highs of a 98th minute winner vs Charlton a week and a half back, Wigan bought us crashing back down to earth and we were lucky to grab a 2-2.  Before that game the general feeling was to be considered genuine promotion hopefuls we would need to be beating the likes of Wigan at home, which we failed to do.

Roll on tonight and the visit to bottom of the table Barnsley, with the worst goal difference in the league to boot. 

If we are genuine promotion contenders, surely anything less than 3 points and going joint top Is an opportunity we cannot afford to miss and could have a huge baring on how our season goes from here on in?

Think it is important to pick up as many points as possible with many injured close to returning.  The next international break is soon so if we can get 3-4 from these next two it will be massive. Probably enough to keep us top 6 during the break. 

By the time that is over we’d have Kalas, Smith and Nagy back with Dasilva hopefully less than a month away. So getting fitter for the busiest part of the season. 

So yea, 3 points against the bottom side would be massive imo. Just keeps us ticking over during a tough spell for the club. Who knows? With some luck we are fully fit for Christmas fixtures(except for Benik) and can gain some momentum into January and use that to recruit. ?

Just now, Robbored said:

Whatever team he selects will be wrong according to some on here..............:disapointed2se:

Well I'll say straight away. I'm not saying it's easy, but Wigan team was all wrong.

We will drop points where we ‘should’ win and we will gain points where we ‘should’ not, I’ve long stooped trying to assign all that much logic to this league. 

I’ll never call a point on the road a poor result. Though I’d agree on paper it’s a ‘should win’. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I am very pessimistic. Hoping LJ changes that by picking the right team!

Problem is, what IS the right team?
Ask 20 people on here you will probably get 4 different formations and 16 players mentioned. The injuries have really hampered any continuity , I do feel sorry for LJ at times. 

29 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

After the highs of a 98th minute winner vs Charlton a week and a half back, Wigan bought us crashing back down to earth and we were lucky to grab a 2-2.  Before that game the general feeling was to be considered genuine promotion hopefuls we would need to be beating the likes of Wigan at home, which we failed to do.

Why LUCKY ? Yeah, we didn't play particularly well , but I thought a draw was quite fair .

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Problem is, what IS the right team?
Ask 20 people on here you will probably get 4 different formations and 16 players mentioned. The injuries have really hampered any continuity , I do feel sorry for LJ at times. 

Not sure exactly but there's certain things I wouldn't do like put Baker in and have 3 at the back having looked so good with 4 at the back the previous game.

33 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Roll on tonight and the visit to bottom of the table Barnsley, with the worst goal difference in the league to boot. 

If we are genuine promotion contenders, surely anything less than 3 points and going joint top Is an opportunity we cannot afford to miss and could have a huge baring on how our season goes from here on in?

It won’t have any baring because we are still missing pretty much our best players,we haven’t played well for a while now but still keep turning out results,3 nil Barnsley tonight tho ?

6 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Cus Wigan has more chances to put the game out of reach than we did to get back into it, the one on one save from Bentley in particular 

I repeat why lucky, that's what he's there for. Yes, they had chances but didn't take them.

The only thing lucky thing I can see is that the ref didn't blow for time at 85 minutes !

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure exactly but there's certain things I wouldn't do like put Baker in and have 3 at the back having looked so good with 4 at the back the previous game.

I see he's gone with a 3, served us well away for some time. The thing I worry about is TM as the left sided CB, does not look natural. Watkins in from the cold too, tombola alive and well then :whistle:
I guess he wants a presence up top, he has scored goals too. I don't rate him, but hope he does well, love him to prove me and others wrong.

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well I'll say straight away. I'm not saying it's easy, but Wigan team was all wrong.

In what way?

None of us had any inside information that the coaches will have had. We wouldn’t have known which players were carrying knocks or which ones had been struggling in training.........:dunno:

LJ has all the information he needs on which players to select and yet some posters on here criticise whichever 11 he picks.

Example - him getting booed when he took off Eliasson recently but post match explained why he’d done it and it made perfect sense but none of us knew that at the time.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But every  LJ critic knows the best team RRH. The fact they don’t have the latest inside information is irrelevant.....

You don't have to be a critic to disagree . You may think he can do no wrong, but if results and/or football isn't spot on there will be questions.
Plus this is a Forum FFS , it only exists because of opinions .

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

But every  LJ critic knows the best team RRH. The fact they don’t have the latest inside information is irrelevant.....

As @1960maaan has already pointed out - you don’t have to be a critic to disagree with any team selection. I remember Bobby Robson explaining why managing England was so hard, he said something like, at every home game there’s 90,000 people who think they could do a better job than you ... that’s pressure. 

12 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You don't have to be a critic to disagree . You may think he can do no wrong, but if results and/or football isn't spot on there will be questions.
Plus this is a Forum FFS , it only exists because of opinions .

Of course otib is a forum but my point about criticism aimed the team selection is without any latest information.....which LJ and his assistants all have. We fans don’t.....

Archived