IGNORED

Back to the training ground...

formerly known as ivan

It was the opposite of some recent games. When we have been down, or chasing a goal and the opposition sit back. It just asks for trouble. It took us to the 98th minute Vs Charlton but as you say, while the games alive you have a chance. Those late goals we have scored are usually because the opposition are happy with what they have. They start to defend deeper ,and give room to play. We were defending on the 18 yard box, and gave them space to play around us and pick crosses.On a wet skiddy night that was asking for trouble .

We have all probably made the excuse of 2 FB's out, CB's first game back, JB the 3rd first team CMF injured and 2 main strikers missing. But I worry that even with a fully fit squad we will end up playing the same turgid stuff. Can't believe what a massive miss Afobe is, by luck or design he was the perfect fit for the team, but maybe papered over the cracks a little. I hope we see an exciting dominant City when we have a full squad to choose from, but I can't ignore that nagging worry.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It was the opposite of some recent games. When we have been down, or chasing a goal and the opposition sit back. It just asks for trouble. It took us to the 98th minute Vs Charlton but as you say, while the games alive you have a chance. Those late goals we have scored are usually because the opposition are happy with what they have. They start to defend deeper ,and give room to play. We were defending on the 18 yard box, and gave them space to play around us and pick crosses.On a wet skiddy night that was asking for trouble .

We have all probably made the excuse of 2 FB's out, CB's first game back, JB the 3rd first team CMF injured and 2 main strikers missing. But I worry that even with a fully fit squad we will end up playing the same turgid stuff. Can't believe what a massive miss Afobe is, by luck or design he was the perfect fit for the team, but maybe papered over the cracks a little. I hope we see an exciting dominant City when we have a full squad to choose from, but I can't ignore that nagging worry.

We countered their high press by playing long after drawing them in . 

This worked to a certain extent. 

We are not at our best , I feel Rowe , in particular, needs a rest . 

Full credit to the coaching staff and players for maintaining our position in the top half of the table . This division is always tough but this season it is wide open , is any team ‘ dominating ‘ others on a regular basis ? 

The main bit if training should be to show the team the video of semenyo ducking and let them deal with it. 

If somebody did that on Roy Keane or Jamie Carraghers watch, you can bet your bottom dollar that the next training session would be "uncomfortable"

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Think we were comfortable enough most of the second half. We were actually on top when LJ made those subs.

Barnsley kept coming and coming and played exciting football and in the end they were simply stronger. It was a great game that bought out some very good positives for both sides but at the end of the day some how they seemed to have more energy or 12 playing instead of 11.

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We countered their high press by playing long after drawing them in . 
Yep, I said elsewhere it was flagged up that they like to get their WB's very high leaving space. With COD and AW able to exploit that space it made sense to go longer. Didn't make the most of some decent opportunities sadly

This worked to a certain extent. 
To a point , yes.

We are not at our best , I feel Rowe , in particular, needs a rest . 
Agree, I think he's been brilliant but has been asked to do a lot of work.

Full credit to the coaching staff and players for maintaining our position in the top half of the table . This division is always tough but this season it is wide open , is any team ‘ dominating ‘ others on a regular basis ? 
Without looking I would say , Leeds, Brentford and Fulham have probably dominated in possession. But no one has, or will smash the division. We have done well to stay in touch, but we need players back, and quickly.

11 minutes ago, City oz said:

Barnsley kept coming and coming and played exciting football and in the end they were simply stronger. It was a great game that bought out some very good positives for both sides but at the end of the day some how they seemed to have more energy or 12 playing instead of 11.

It seemed to me second half they had a lot of the ball, but were not having any real good chances before the subs we made. We had some good opportunities on the break where the final ball wasn't quite right, or O'Dowda lost his balance etc.

Subs were made and we looked all over the place from then on. They scored only minutes after the subs were made.

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It seemed to me second half they had a lot of the ball, but were not having any real good chances before the subs we made. We had some good opportunities on the break where the final ball wasn't quite right, or O'Dowda lost his balance etc.

Subs were made and we looked all over the place from then on. They scored only minutes after the subs were made.

?totally agree 

51 minutes ago, City oz said:

Exciting football? Brexit football more like. 

2 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Exciting football? Brexit football more like. 

Yes Brexit football if you are referring to back and forth and both teams with 100% commitment. But please do not compare the fiasco with Brexit as both teams yesterday played their hearts out not like the Government in the UK. 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

That's a big shout. Barnsley, definitely

Archived