IGNORED

we need a general a leader a horrible midfielder

big dosser

What annoys me when people (and the manager don't forget) talk about lack of leaders on the pitch.
We have a 35 year old international with over 600 games under his belt.
A Czech International with 2 promotions to his credit.
Even Tommy Rowe has played over 400 games, and experience as a Captain I believe.
These are the players through experience alone who should be stepping up. I understand it with HNM, Pereira , TM, Semenyo as they are relatively young. It should be as a team, but we looked like individuals, more so than any time recently. It looked even worse with mainly our players loosing their footing so often. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

What annoys me when people (and the manager don't forget) talk about lack of leaders on the pitch.
We have a 35 year old international with over 600 games under his belt.
A Czech International with 2 promotions to his credit.
Even Tommy Rowe has played over 400 games, and experience as a Captain I believe.
These are the players through experience alone who should be stepping up. I understand it with HNM, Pereira , TM, Semenyo as they are relatively young. It should be as a team, but we looked like individuals, more so than any time recently. It looked even worse with mainly our players loosing their footing so often. 

It’s hard for players to build  ‘ partnerships ‘ through injury and changes of formation . 

This is why we look  disjointed.

We have not clicked yet as a ‘ team ‘ and it is amazing that we are where we are in the division at the moment.

As usual it is never easy for City I believe that without the injury to Afobe up top we would have won a few more and be top . This season the Championship is wide open . 

14 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s hard for players to build  ‘ partnerships ‘ through injury and changes of formation . 

This is why we look  disjointed.

We have not clicked yet as a ‘ team ‘ and it is amazing that we are where we are in the division at the moment.

As usual it is never easy for City I believe that without the injury to Afobe up top we would have won a few more and be top . This season the Championship is wide open . 

I agree , to a point. We have had a run where Williams (9games out of 15), TM (14-15) and Baker(11-15) have been mainstays. Kalas came in last night but most of this season has seen, only  few changes. A decidedly  2nd string line up, but they've had plenty of time together. Rowe has been a mainstay and Hunt and Pereira have split the season.  They would have been working on the same systems in training all week as well. That last 10 minutes looked like when I used to play up on Lansdown. Wet, windy , slippery and panic, with little control.
Maybe it's time for the Tombola to throw up Bailey Wright.

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

@1960maaan Perhaps LJ is aware that we have leaders and is essentially saying where were you last night. 

Possibly, but it's not the first time he's mentioned it, and to me it seems natural for players to step up. There still seems a lack of communication with our back line.

53 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Not sure this type of midfielder exists anymore, football has moved on.

We need someone who keeps the ball and sets the tempo. Hopefully Nagy is back soon or otherwise looks a poor decision to let Pack go.

Had we kept Pack, doubtless by now he would be out for 3 months with a serious injury, on top of the other players out with longish term injuries! In the few games he played before injury, most fans commented that Nagy was a serious upgrade on Pack, so there was no way MP was going to stay just to be  Nagy's understudy.

Most teams legislate for and manage with losing players for a few games here and there. What you can't legislate for is losing 4 key players and the spine of the team for most of this season so far. When fans start talking about playing O'Dowda up front or Moore in midfield it brings home the impact injuries have had and why LJ has been forced to play square pegs in round holes.

Against this background , we have done well to stay at the top end of the table. However, there is no denying the poor performances recently, perhaps because the knock on effect of the injuries is telling on players. Even so, it's frustrating that the same group of players that managed to stage a strong recovery to snatch an unlikely win a week ago also managed to throw away a 2 goal advantage last night. 

This is Bristol City - no one ever said it was going to be easy!

15 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

Tommy Rowe could boss midfield imo

He didn't last night. Looked pretty average and was disappointing. He struggled to get in the Doncaster side who always played 3 central midfielders. Struggled with the pace of their football. He might do ok, who knows, but really can't see him bossing it at this level.

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

Not sure this type of midfielder exists anymore, football has moved on.

We need someone who keeps the ball and sets the tempo. Hopefully Nagy is back soon or otherwise looks a poor decision to let Pack go.

To get 4 million for Pack when he'd probably be our 5th best midfielder when everyone is fit, he had to be sold.

One of the main stats from last night is the yellow card count being at zero!

2-0 up away from home, not playing well but Barnsley not looking likely to get back into it, then they get one from a set piece.

At 2-1 and going into the last 10 mins we should be picking up yellow cards here, there and everywhere throughout the team. I don’t mean giving away free kicks in dangerous positions, more for time wasting, free kicks deep in the Barnsley half or around the half way line.

As a team we try to be far too nice and don’t have anyone doing the ugly work.

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

2-0 up away from home, not playing well but Barnsley not looking likely to get back into it, then they get one from a set piece.

At 2-1 and going into the last 10 mins we should be picking up yellow cards here, there and everywhere throughout the team. I don’t mean giving away free kicks in dangerous positions, more for time wasting, free kicks deep in the Barnsley half or around the half way line.

One of the main stats from last night is the team failed to complete passes to a team mate four times out of the ten times they had possession. Another stat is that nearly  a third of City passes were long passes.

The identity of the team is?  

Nice is giving the ball away that cheaply. And it was certainly ugly.  

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

agree I have said for a long time we are to nice,i think we are close to being a top 2 side and when fam come on against Charlton he looked like a man on a mission and Charlton players could not handle him just a shame he got sent off,for me I would like to see that ugly side a bit more

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Leadership would be directing the traffic. being brave and wanting the ball. making yourself available to have it and keep it. Setting the tempo. at present nobody looks like doing it but also its hard to work out what it is. The team have no defining playing style.

Bang. Effin’. On.

People quick to say Massengo has been poorer in the last 3/4 games.  They are right to an extent.

”he’s getting caught on the ball”

”he’s slowing it down”

etc.

The key aspect of his early games were get it, give it, repeat, at pace, trust in his control, touch, etc.  At the mo, his teammates have (to some extent) gotten lazy...asking him to do more with it, when that is not his game...certainly not in our own half.

14 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Massengo is still struggling imo, not passing it quick enough and can't keep it ticking over in the same way Nagy or Brownhill would

I actually thought he looked stronger last night than last few games. But to,pass quickly also needs players making runs and available to,pass to. We're not doing that, which given the frequency with which we're forced to change things round perhaps isn't surprising. But the thing with both HNM and Palmer is that they are always looking for that pass, and if it's not there looking again, and again, and then they've lost it.

The alternative is a big hoof, which is what everyone else resorted to last night, and then it just comes back.

The Wigan fan on the OSIB podcast commented on how much we played it up in the air, and how we should keep it on the ground. Even opposing fans can see it!

Archived