IGNORED

Bideford - what a load of ridiculous s * * t!

WhistleHappy

Oh come on,  how f'ing stupid.

When's  all this nonsense gonna stop?,  sick tired and fed up of right on, Politically Correct ( but usually incorrect) do-gooder bull crap of middle class more often than not white idiots offended on behalf of other people who actually are rarely offended themselves and if so are perfectly capable of speaking up for what's right and wrong anyway. 

The council of Bideford in Devon have shown themselves to be scared to say boo to a goose, they're that keep to avoid the chance of any ott idiot activist (no matter how stupid) latching onto anything, even 150year old traditional references to the amount of white painted buildings in their town, for fear said **** calling 'racism'.  Bloody idiots should be locked up or banished from this fair land before they destroy everything that is English .. Any excuse for some people to appear liberal and right on, even if it means revealing themselves as damned fools...

How anyone, White, Black or other can see racism in innocent street signs is beyond pathetically stupid... FFS Get Real You *********!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/bideford-in-devon-changes-little-white-town-signposts-after-racist-claims/ar-AAJGAsf?MSCC=1572647762&ocid=spartandhp#image=2  

(how much money have they found to change these signs anyway? … when no doubt they've pleaded poverty for years while cutting funds for important public services.. Sicko's) 

25 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

I think it’s over the top but how does it affect any of you? Or the residents for that matter?

I really don’t see how changing a street sign is destroying everything that is English. 

It`s not just one sign though. All the approaches into Bideford have large `Welcome to Bideford, the little white town` signs - there must be about ten of them in total and will cost more than a couple of quid.

29 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Is White City in London going to change its name?

Well we have had mumblings about Whiteladies Road and Blackboy hill etc haven't we. And when the Colston Hall reopens again next year it is going to be renamed isn't it. The world has gone crazy.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, RedM said:

Well we have had mumblings about Whiteladies Road and Blackboy hill etc haven't we. And when the Colston Hall reopens again next year it is going to be renamed isn't it. The world has gone crazy.

I’m really not sure airbrushing history is a good idea, isn’t learning lessons from the past, how we move forwards?

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I’m really not sure airbrushing history is a good idea, isn’t learning lessons from the past, how we move forwards?

I do agree we shouldn't change history, but let's say for some weird reason we had 'Hitler Bridge' or something daft like that :laughcont:, would you be in favour of keeping it? With the Colston Hall I think both sides have quite a good case.

• Admin
8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I do agree we shouldn't change history, but let's say for some weird reason we had 'Hitler Bridge' or something daft like that :laughcont:, would you be in favour of keeping it? With the Colston Hall I think both sides have quite a good case.

Interesting example, would all be in the context I suppose, if it was glorifying Hitler then it would have to be changed, if it had some other significance then maybe it would be relevant.  If Colston’s trade and subsequent monies invested into institutions were more recent, I could understand it, but I assume that all that is left is the buildings and the name, no funding from age old trusts?  

14 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Wouldn’t have a problem with it,if it was Adolf hitler bridge then it might be a bit different 

6 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Interesting example, would all be in the context I suppose, if it was glorifying Hitler then it would have to be changed, if it had some other significance then maybe it would be relevant.  If Colston’s trade and subsequent monies invested into institutions were more recent, I could understand it, but I assume that all that is left is the buildings and the name, no funding from age old trusts?  

The Colston Hall opened 150 years after Colston died. 

I can’t see the problem with changing the name. I’m not going to march in the street about it, but it’s bloody weird to be honouring a slave trader.

As for Bideford, I don’t think there’s much wrong with the sign, but getting outraged over a council changing their signs is bizarre. Unless you live there or have strong links to the place, why would you care?

Read this in the local rag down here and apparently (as this is where the sub-title comes from) it will be changed to 'Kingsley Amis's Little White Town'. This would seem to give it a (bit of overdue) context? Not much to worry about if this happens I'd have thought - actually made me want to find out a bit more about it, so win win win for all sides and the town itself, no?

22 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Read this in the local rag down here and apparently (as this is where the sub-title comes from) it will be changed to 'Kingsley Amis's Little White Town'. This would seem to give it a (bit of overdue) context? Not much to worry about if this happens I'd have thought - actually made me want to find out a bit more about it, so win win win for all sides and the town itself, no?

Charles Kingsley not Kingsley Amis!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-50289553

Why aren`t I surprised that the people complaining didn`t want to hear the (non-racist) history behind it but just stuck their fingers in their ears and said `La, la, la, I`m not listening`. Don`t these idiots realise that they set the anti-racism movement back years by coming out with crap like this?

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-50289553

Why aren`t I surprised that the people complaining didn`t want to hear the (non-racist) history behind it but just stuck their fingers in their ears and said `La, la, la, I`m not listening`. Don`t these idiots realise that they set the anti-racism movement back years by coming out with crap like this?

They’re changing a sign to show the literary reference it comes from. That doesn’t set any movement back unless there’s a large ‘Anti-Literary References’ movement I’m unaware of?

Do people really read stuff like this and go ‘well I liked black people before this but now I’ve decided to be a massive racist’? No they don’t. So let’s stop the ridiculous outrage over something that doesn’t impact you in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Redinthehead said:

They’re changing a sign to show the literary reference it comes from. That doesn’t set any movement back unless there’s a large ‘Anti-Literary References’ movement I’m unaware of?

Do people really read stuff like this and go ‘well I liked black people before this but now I’ve decided to be a massive racist’? No they don’t. So let’s stop the ridiculous outrage over something that doesn’t impact you in the slightest.

I`m sorry but that is not why they are changing them, they are reacting to some shouty people who see offence everywhere and who are not prepared to listen to reason.

I live very close to Bideford so I do think I have a right to an opinion.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m sorry but that is not why they are changing them, they are reacting to some shouty people who see offence everywhere and who are not prepared to listen to reason.

I live very close to Bideford so I do think I have a right to an opinion.

What reason should they listen to? This has hardly been a massive campaign, some people raised it to the council and they have acted. Who really cares?

21 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

'Kingsley Amis's Little White Town'. - Oh Dear, easily confused. Ben Kingsley? Barry White?

Why aren`t I surprised that the people complaining didn`t want to hear the (non-racist) history behind it but just stuck their fingers in their ears and said `Baa, Baa, Black Sheep I`m not listening`. Don`t these idiots realise that they set the anti-racism movement back years by coming out with crap like this?

Racism? Well, they all look the same to me....

• Admin
On 04/11/2019 at 21:51, Redinthehead said:

What reason should they listen to? This has hardly been a massive campaign, some people raised it to the council and they have acted. Who really cares?

The local Councillor who raised the issue was on Good Morning Britain this morning, he came across as a real tool.

He wouldn't answer the questions put to him and in the end basically said a couple of people had raised it with him so he was obliged to take this forward

On 02/11/2019 at 12:21, BS2 Red said:

The Colston Hall opened 150 years after Colston died. 

I can’t see the problem with changing the name. I’m not going to march in the street about it, but it’s bloody weird to be honouring a slave trader.

As for Bideford, I don’t think there’s much wrong with the sign, but getting outraged over a council changing their signs is bizarre. Unless you live there or have strong links to the place, why would you care?

On 04/11/2019 at 19:43, Redinthehead said:

That is a couple of excellent statements. Now all you need to do is get this message across to every politically correct lunatic in the World, who think they have the right to take offence to anything that doesn't have any impact on them, and then have the audacity to take the moral high ground and tell everyone else they have to change.

18 minutes ago, wood_red said:

That is a couple of excellent statements. Now all you need to do is get this message across to every politically correct lunatic in the World, who think they have the right to take offence to anything that doesn't have any impact on them, and then have the audacity to take the moral high ground and tell everyone else they have to change.

Every politically correct lunatic in the world?  Hyperbole much?

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

Every politically correct lunatic in the world?  Hyperbole much?

No. I am not saying they are ALL lunatics or not meaning to, just meaning to get the message across to the ones who are lunatics (of which there are many anyway imo). Probably bad wording on my part.

1 hour ago, Renaissance Williams said:

What a lot of “idiots” and “lunatics”  there seem to be on this thread. There is a Buddhist saying: “It is your own anger that destroys you”......

..... but I suppose Buddha was an idiot, too......

Did he destroy himself with anger?

Archived