IGNORED

Reflections on last night and the bigger picture

ChippenhamRed

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

what I want to know is what happened to the one-touch football, crisp passing and fierce closing down that we exhibited against Manchester United, Manchester City, Watford, Stoke, Crystal Palace etc not so long ago. Why are we playing so much hoofball now?

I sometimes wonder the same thing - but then remember that in fact we really only played that way for around 4 months of Lee's almost 4 years here in my opinion. That style of football has unfortunately been very much the exception.

17 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

what I want to know is what happened to the one-touch football, crisp passing and fierce closing down that we exhibited against Manchester United, Manchester City, Watford, Stoke, Crystal Palace etc not so long ago. Why are we playing so much hoofball now?

It is impossible to play that way all season long which is why LJ has changed it round .

52 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

All the doomsday merchants on here also need to remember where we were in 1982. I was at the Newport away game when we all thought this was going to be the last game played by BCFC. FFS support the club. Rome was not built in a day!!!!

No it wasn't built in a day.  I wonder how much of it was built after 37 years though.

54 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

All the doomsday merchants on here also need to remember where we were in 1982. I was at the Newport away game when we all thought this was going to be the last game played by BCFC. FFS support the club. Rome was not built in a day!!!!

I wasn't there that day at Newport - away at uni - but I was there most of that season, and the two before where we fell out of the top flight and old Div 2...

...but reflect on that...I was at uni in 1982...I'm now approaching retirement...Rome wasn't indeed built in a day but rebuilding a top flight City team has taken the best part of working lifetime!

EDIT: @Drew Peacock - great minds and all that! You beat me to it.

5 hours ago, RonWalker said:

It would be be interesting to hear from anyone saying Johnson Out where they expect the club to be at this point in the season with these injuries.

Firstly I am not at all in the LJ out camp but where I expect us to be different is:

When we lose Brownhill - he has been the energy in the team all season (even Ashley Williams said this recently) - why bring on Eliasson, it makes no sense? You had Rowe who could have moved into midfield and could have moved to a back 4 by using Baker/TM/PP or used Kasey Palmer with additional defensive midfield cover so we hold the ball and make chances?

I would hope we are not still "trying out" strikers in November in a first team game - Marley Watkins was by no means the worst player but why buy Rodri (then not use him - where was the due dilligence - it's not like he hasn't played in the division before) why keep trying Semenyo (even last night) after he has failed to impact a game this season?

I would expect the team not to be crammed full of wingers playing out of position.

I expect us to close out a game with 4 mins left - the squad are no longer young and raw we had Ashley Williams FFS captain of Wales, Everton with more experience than probably anyone in the division.

These  are just some of the things I expect.   

53 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It is impossible to play that way all season long which is why LJ has changed it round .

No it is not. It was never Mr Johnsons intent to play that way for a season. If it was Lee Johnson would have filled the squad with players with the aerobic, anaerobic and psychological abilities to fill the XI with players each week who could meet the challenges. 

A player like Famara did not and does not meet the above characteristics = Bristol City were clearly not invested, developed and committed to playing high pressing aggressive football. 

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Football revenues would go to the football club, hopefully to pay down the £123.6m it owes..

Lansdown will never, ever get back anywhere near what he's 'invested', not he's bothered as he's not in it to make money .... 

As someone once said. If you want to make a small fortune from football, start with a large one.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What, crisp passing, and one touch football? 

I think you can play that way while you can get the staff - ie Bobby Reid - but when you can't get the staff, even much vaunted coaches find their influence is not what they'd like it to be.

It's like with passing it out from the back: do you try and coach players like Flint, Wright and Baker to do it? Or do you go out and find/buy Adam Webster to do it? 

Same as this season: LJ is about as good a coach as the fit players he has available to him. 

38 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

What, crisp passing, and one touch football? 

I think you can play that way while you can get the staff - ie Bobby Reid - but when you can't get the staff, even much vaunted coaches find their influence is not what they'd like it to be.

It's like with passing it out from the back: do you try and coach players like Flint, Wright and Baker to do it? Or do you go out and find/buy Adam Webster to do it? 

Same as this season: LJ is about as good a coach as the fit players he has available to him. 

Total rubbish, 2 players that might make a difference still sidelined! The high press is gone, the passing is crap, we don’t have a front player capable of controlling the ball!

But somehow the championship is not reflecting the true state of play 1st to 6th 3 points difference and we can’t see the game out, the problem has to be with leadership from the front, the same same leadership that got shot of all the dissenters and still does not know his best 11

10 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

It's a very long day isn't it? 

Thirty Seven Years since then and while we are bouncing around the Championship between six and ten, we are not making any significant impression on the top six , let alone the top two. We just do not want it enough!!!!

PS.I was ar Somerton Park that day and a helluva lot of times since.

12 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

I was there as well, was it really 37 years ago? that's scary where did it go?

18 hours ago, Spoons said:

Just imagine if you're Steve or Maggie landsown reading the rubbish on that match day thread last night. Must think why do I bother.

Bristol should have a team in the Premiership, if Sheff united, Norwich and Bournemouth can do it why cant we? They can deliver this if they really want!! But do they want it? Makes me wonder tbh. Getting beat 3 nil at Luton, and the Wigan, Barnsley performances are unacceptable tbh. You can see why local kids are choosing to support Liverpool/Man U Chelsea etc.

23 hours ago, reddogkev said:

But this all takes away from the fact that in the last two games we have squandered a very realistic possibility of going top of the table.

That is what really pisses me off.  Ok you may say, going top of the table in November means nothing come the end of the season places, but I'd argue it does, it would show the world and his wife that we mean business this season and the confidence it would give to the players would be huge.

Clearly though, if we can only get 2 points off of Wigan and Barnsley then we have no right to think about being top of the table.

I guess these 2 results are a good way of balancing our expectations for the moment.

But just look at what you’ve actually written there....

”what really pisses you off is that we’ve failed to take 2 chances to go top of the championship”

Now think about that for a moment, let it sink in and then realise that we shouldn’t really be too pissed off, at all..! 

On 02/11/2019 at 08:22, ChippenhamRed said:

Just looking again at last night’s match thread and the en-mass overreaction to the performance, “Johnson out” calls and generally ridiculous statements about how terrible we are and how we’ll never achieve anything.

I’ll start by saying I agree about the performance. While I don’t believe we should assume to best anyone in this division - especially this division! - we should of course have seen the game out. We played poorly throughout and our game management was poor.

But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - some people really need to find some perspective on where we are as a club, how far we’ve come, and what we might still achieve.

Only six years ago we tumbled out of this division and our club was an absolute shambles. Just over four years ago we were still playing in the third tier. For five consecutive seasons now we have improved our league position - the only team in the entire football league who can claim this. All the while working with a midtable budget and selling our better players to balance the books. Oh, and we also rebuilt our stadium.

Today we are 5th in the Championship. Yes, we might drop down today. But we have lost twice in 15 games. All this despite injuries to Nagy, Smith, Afobe, Kalas and Dasilva. All first team starters. Last night we were also without Famara. Any side - particularly one in the second tier - would miss that much quality. It is remarkable that we are where we are without them.

Its also ridiculous to say that if we don’t beat Barnsley how can we hope to finish in the top six. It simply doesn’t work like that. Throughout a 46 game season you will win games you don’t expect to and lose games you don’t expect to. Our performance level will vary. The same goes for all teams.

I’m not pretending everything is perfect. Clearly recent performances have been disappointing. We are not entertaining enough at home. But look at that quality we have to come back in, and look where we are. Things have been an awful lot worse.

Some people eh Chip!

They are just never satisfied 

Bigger picture: yes, we're on a poor run, and given the injuries that's maybe not a surprise. But also it's what every club does at some stage of even the most successful seasons. And, it's a poor run by the higher standards and expectations we now have.

And, even if we are on one of LJ's 'streaks' then surely even that's a positive. In the past the streaks where we've been playing poorly and losing confidence have been about runs of defeats with the odd draw thrown in. Now we're talking draws with the odd win thrown in. Progress. 

One thing I think is really significant is that we've lost fewer games than anyone else except WBA. Still only 2. The teams that go up are the ones that lose fewest games. I don't just mean the obvious, you have to win games to get points. It's the fine margins - three defeats last season that become draws this season is the difference between a play off place or not. 

Archived