IGNORED

Alex Neil - illegal approach from Stoke?

Lanterne Rouge

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50274819

The tone of PNE`s statement together with what was said on Soccer Saturday earlier suggests that something underhand might have gone on.

Hope this doesn't bring back memories of Lousy Pint's departure from The Gills and Stoke's behaviour then....as we, too, don't come up smelling of roses...

7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I'm sure money is the answer to this, but why on earth else would he want to leave Preston given the position and form they're in to got to Stoke with all the crap they're in. Surely it cant just be money they'd offer him?

I`m sure it is together with Stoke`s `we`re a huge club` attitude. Reading between the lines I think AN could well have reported the approach himself and the statement from PNE was written with his agreement.

All conjecture on my part of course.

The most ITK poster on our forum has said that Neil was subject to an illegal approach from Stoke and then promptly proceeded to report it to PNE.

This together with fabricated, fake news stories being leaked to the press this afternoon stating Neil was 'set to be announced' as Stoke manager has angered PNE and as the statement says, lead to them stating that they'll now do no business with Stoke on this matter under any circumstances.

Glad they've put their foot down to be honest because this sort of thing with false press reports swirling around happened last season before WBA away when WBA were trying to get Neil and it totally unsettled the squad and club as a whole. Things are going well for us at the moment and we can't allow these types of clubs to start pushing us off course with unsettling tactics.

18 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

The most ITK poster on our forum has said that Neil was subject to an illegal approach from Stoke and then promptly proceeded to report it to PNE.

This together with fabricated, fake news stories being leaked to the press this afternoon stating Neil was 'set to be announced' as Stoke manager has angered PNE and as the statement says, lead to them stating that they'll now do no business with Stoke on this matter under any circumstances.

Glad they've put their foot down to be honest because this sort of thing with false press reports swirling around happened last season before WBA away when WBA were trying to get Neil and it totally unsettled the squad and club as a whole. Things are going well for us at the moment and we can't allow these types of clubs to start pushing us off course with unsettling tactics.

The first bit is very pleasing to hear - it shows there is some loyalty left in football. As for the rest of your post sadly we`re all pissing in the wind if we think it will stop.

41 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The first bit is very pleasing to hear - it shows there is some loyalty left in football. As for the rest of your post sadly we`re all pissing in the wind if we think it will stop.

Oh, there are ways to stop it.

Depends on the will of the Governing bodies in the first instance though.

Ideas.

Illegal approach for a manager- automatic 10 point deduction. Doesn't matter the League, would really make clubs think twice. OK perhaps a suspended deduction if approach unsuccessful, but a successful poaching costs 10 points.

Illegal approach got a player would trigger an automatic one window transfer ban for a club, perhaps two depending on the circumstances.

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh, there are ways to stop it.

Depends on the will of the Governing bodies in the first instance though.

Ideas.

Illegal approach for a manager- automatic 10 point deduction. Doesn't matter the League, would really make clubs think twice. OK perhaps a suspended deduction if approach unsuccessful, but a successful poaching costs 10 points.

Illegal approach got a player would trigger an automatic one window transfer ban for a club, perhaps two depending on the circumstances.

Yep, and proving could be hard (maybe not in this case though). If you're manager of team X and you get a call from an old friend 'in the game' who says: 'I hear team Y would be looking for someone like you as their next manager. I think they're willing to pay silly money too. What do you think?'. What is that? Is it a tap up/illegal approach? Is it just a mate asking you a 'what if' question? Do they work or have a known association with team Y or anyone else that works there? Do they know Harry Rednapp's dog? Maybe VAR could sort this out!

1 minute ago, Super said:

Preston showing how to see out a game.

Preston have more bite than us. You need different attributes to be a successful football team and we don’t have that.

To be honest we haven’t had it since Cotts was here.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If Alex Neil decides to leave Preston in order to further his career and/or “cash in” so to speak.....he can do way better than Stoke City.

Yes, Bristol City, it would be good to get a manager with a track record of success, and with SL's financial backing a great chance to get to the Prem.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Preston showing how to see out a game.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Preston have more bite than us. You need different attributes to be a successful football team and we don’t have that.

To be honest we haven’t had it since Cotts was here.

Last season on only 2 occasions did we concede in the last quarter of any league game.

Seems to indicate that we had some bite and ability to see out games.

Losing players like Kalas and Nagy has made a big difference 

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yep, and proving could be hard (maybe not in this case though). If you're manager of team X and you get a call from an old friend 'in the game' who says: 'I hear team Y would be looking for someone like you as their next manager. I think they're willing to pay silly money too. What do you think?'. What is that? Is it a tap up/illegal approach? Is it just a mate asking you a 'what if' question? Do they work or have a known association with team Y or anyone else that works there? Do they know Harry Rednapp's dog? Maybe VAR could sort this out!

My definition would be.

If a club who employs the manager and holds the contract, and you go ahead and do it anyway, then it's 10 points.

The approaches that are unsuccessful are harder to prove I agree.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Last season on only 2 occasions did we concede in the last quarter of any league game.

Seems to indicate that we had some bite and ability to see out games.

Losing players like Kalas and Nagy has made a big difference 

You'd think we were the only team to ever not see a game out the way some go on.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

When we were going to places like Burnley and getting bummed 4-0.

You wouldn’t see a Cotts side throwing away 3-0 or 2-0 leads though. Not as much as we have done since LJ has been at helm. Granted most of SC’s time here was in League One but you get my point.

We’re a pretty naive side.

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You wouldn’t see a Cotts side throwing away 3-0 or 2-0 leads though. Not as much as we have done since LJ has been at helm. Granted most of SC’s time here was in League One but you get my point.

We're a pretty injury depleted side at the moment.

The key players we are/have been without would make a big difference to our control of games, Nagy in particular.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

We're a pretty injury depleted side at the moment.

The key players we are/have been without would make a big difference to our control of games, Nagy in particular.

Not sure that is relevant. We had enough experience on the pitch to see out the game. 

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Not sure that is relevant. We had enough experience on the pitch to see out the game. 

Pretty relevant I would have thought and especially when we lost Brownhill from midfield.

Would Nagy have been better able to get a foot on the ball than say O'Dowda or Elliason and in particular to better protect our back 4? 

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

In fairness, in the championship, you never saw us surrender a 2 goal lead under SC, because we never had one..! 

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

You wouldn’t see us getting them in the first place.... we’re orders of magnitude better than we were at this level under Cotts. 

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

We didn't throw away any 3-0 or 2-0 leads last season and have done it twice this season, which is a line rather than a pattern. 

Yes, we went through a phase of doing it about three years ago with a largely different squad of players but it is utterly beyond me why people have suddenly decided we always throw away 3-0 and 2-0 leads when we haven't done the former for nearly two years and have done the latter twice in just under two years. If we do it a couple more times this season people will have a point. For now, it is a colossal overreaction. 

40 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Pretty relevant I would have thought and especially when we lost Brownhill from midfield.

Would Nagy have been better able to get a foot on the ball than say O'Dowda or Elliason and in particular to better protect our back 4? 

We failed to deal with 2 balls into the box. 

Archived