IGNORED

Domination

sh1t_ref_again

No not the dominatrix sort but within games.

I have been disappointed so far this season at how other teams seemed to have dominated us, even at home we look at times like the away team with less possession and playing on the break.

Whilst not great to watch, is this a tatic?

when you see results today, Hull 25%  Possession against Fulham and win 3-0, Cardiff 34% versus Birmingham and win 4-2, Forest 30% against Luton and win 2-1

Are teams happy to surrender possession and play on the break?

31 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I have been disappointed so far this season at how other teams seemed to have dominated us, even at home we look at times like the away team with less possession and playing on the break.

when you see results today, Hull 25%  Possession against Fulham and win 3-0, Cardiff 34% versus Birmingham and win 4-2, Forest 30% against Luton and win 2-1

So basically next week v Crapdiff we should go for 30% each. I reckon the other 40% will be troubling the skies with Warnock hoofball and most likely the bcfc ‘identity’ hoofball to follow suit!

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You can control games with less possession. Cardiff went up by surrendering possession in every game, and hitting quickly the spaces with the speed of the wingers and the target man through the middle. 

These kind of teams seem to foul a lot and kill the other teams momentum. It's not great to watch but can be effective. Fair play to teams that come up and still play their football at this level.

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Is it a tactic? Yes.

Possession, surrendering it and countering, and a mix of the first 2 are all tactics.

Game is becoming increasingly chess like IMO. Phases were a side may try to dominate, phases in sake game absorb pressure, or absorb then counter.

To me, the old mantra of 'dominate at home' is becoming increasingly questionable or flexible.

One example. Leeds who tend to dominate had 58% possession first half at home to QPR today...but seemingly only 40% 2nd half.

Notable for 2 reasons. Firstly,. Leeds can certainly dominate sides and generally have under Bielsa, has always been part of his philosophy. Second, they were at home- yet they dominated ball first half, chances 2nd- doubtless QPR improved but also seems like a tactical choice.

Charlton routinely have less possession, even at home. Nottingham Forest too- may create more chances though but not a given. Monk isn't a manger known for proactive football that dominates the ball..mixed approach yet Sheffield Wednesday near top 6.

For all that though, we're failing quite notably in this area IMO. Injuries a large factor of course!

It’s difficult to explain our style of play this season, our so called  ‘identity’ has been a mystery to me.

We certainly have not dominated a single game and I can not even remember us dominating a half. Maybe it’s both tactics and enforced changes that have led to this. LJ has accepted we have played round pegs in square holes, so compromise follows.

It seems if anything we are typically set up to counter-attack, which fits with the opposition bossing possession. However, I’m not persuaded we have players with the speed or decisiveness required for successful counter-attacking.

As has been said elsewhere once (if) we have a fully fit squad to select from we might just see our true style/identify.

Archived