IGNORED

Plymouth v Grimsby postponement

Lanterne Rouge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50190889

I`m afraid that calling the game off less than three hours before kick off is a pretty poor show from Plymouth. If the damage happened overnight anyone with half a brain could see there was no chance of anyone getting up on the roof to fix it - I live twenty miles from Plymouth and I could barely get my back door open this morning it was so windy.

Given most of the travelling Grimsby fans would have been past Taunton before it was called off it just shows a lack of concern by the club - they could easily have called the game off as soon as it got light. There are even a lot of home fans who live a good 2-3 hrs from Plymouth in my experience - those from north/west Cornwall and north Devon - so they would have been well on their way by then as well.

I was in Plymouth last night and went for a run round the Hoe/Barbican area this morning. It was like an assault course - industrial bins down, waves breaking over the sea walls and gusts that blew you backwards. Driving back down the A38 the conditions weren’t easy - car blowing, loads of surface water and saw loads of police/fire.

The only possible excuse for Plymouth here is that the weather was supposed to be better around midday - afternoon and they could only get a good look at the damage - without it being safe enough to get up there - at around 11 (left Plymouth half nine and it was still storms/gales then). However conditions in the surrounding area should certainly have given enough of a sign, and made postponing the sensible option far sooner.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m afraid that calling the game off less than three hours before kick off is a pretty poor show from Plymouth. If the damage happened overnight anyone with half a brain could see there was no chance of anyone getting up on the roof to fix it - I live twenty miles from Plymouth and I could barely get my back door open this morning it was so windy.

Given most of the travelling Grimsby fans would have been past Taunton before it was called off it just shows a lack of concern by the club - they could easily have called the game off as soon as it got light. There are even a lot of home fans who live a good 2-3 hrs from Plymouth in my experience - those from north/west Cornwall and north Devon - so they would have been well on their way by then as well.

Nowt worse than a windy back door......

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I was in Plymouth last night and went for a run round the Hoe/Barbican area this morning. It was like an assault course - industrial bins down, waves breaking over the sea walls and gusts that blew you backwards. Driving back down the A38 the conditions weren’t easy - car blowing, loads of surface water and saw loads of police/fire.

The only possible excuse for Plymouth here is that the weather was supposed to be better around midday - afternoon and they could only get a good look at the damage - without it being safe enough to get up there - at around 11 (left Plymouth half nine and it was still storms/gales then). However conditions in the surrounding area should certainly have given enough of a sign, and made postponing the sensible option far sooner.

This is the point really, anyone down here could see the bad weather was in for the day and it should have been easy to make an early decision. I don`t suppose there would have been hordes from Grimsby (they`re not R*vers after all) but it`s the lack of consideration for fans that annoys me.

2 hours ago, Simez said:

I remember us having a game called off at Grimsby about 10 years ago, we were at Sheffield on the train when we heard the news.... Cheers for that ?

If I remember correctly it was in late January 2004. We helped shuffle snow from the pitch on the Friday only to wake up to an abandoned game due to heavy rain over the night. The news was in the local morning paper (Grimsby Telegraph) so you guys should have been told. What goes around comes around.  

Went to Plymouth in the late 80s/early 90's for an early kick off on a Bank holiday. Expensive Taxi to Bath as no trains to get from home on time. Got to Plymouth and lots of their supporters coming back on to the station. For a minute was really confused then the Police told us game had been called off. Loads of City on the train. Pre Social media days of course.

2 hours ago, Simez said:

I remember us having a game called off at Grimsby about 10 years ago, we were at Sheffield on the train when we heard the news.... Cheers for that ?

I think I was about 30 miles from Grimsby when we heard about that one. Whatever the reason was it should have been announced a lot earlier than it was I seem to recall. 

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I know one of the officials who was due to officiate at Truro City today, that game was called off at 8am!

19 minutes ago, RedReynard said:

Went to Plymouth in the late 80s/early 90's for an early kick off on a Bank holiday. Expensive Taxi to Bath as no trains to get from home on time. Got to Plymouth and lots of their supporters coming back on to the station. For a minute was really confused then the Police told us game had been called off. Loads of City on the train. Pre Social media days of course.

I remember that one. Thought at the time all those Plymouth fans were waiting for us for a fight! Weather had seemed quite nice on the journey down.

37 minutes ago, RedReynard said:

That was a Good Friday I think..and didnt the police send City fans back from Plymouth once saying the game was off but if wasnt as there had been a load of trouble earlier.

9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

This is the point really, anyone down here could see the bad weather was in for the day and it should have been easy to make an early decision. I don`t suppose there would have been hordes from Grimsby (they`re not R*vers after all) but it`s the lack of consideration for fans that annoys me.

The postponement was because of the state of a section of the roof that had been damaged by the overnight gales rather than because of the general bad weather.  They had several experts look at it in the morning before deciding that neither could it be repaired in time for the game nor could they be reasonably certain that it wouldn't collapse on the crowd.  As soon as this became clear the game was cancelled.

The game would not have been cancelled if it was the bad weather in isolation.

The club lost money because it had bought in and prepared lots of food which it could neither sell nor keep; though donated to local homeless hostels.

It may appear slack and high handed but this time it wasn't.

Archived