IGNORED

Woodgate..............dear oh dear .

slartibartfast

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Talk about delusional...............

"People say the league table tells the truth, it's not. It's lying at the minute.

"We have had chances to score goals, we have missed opportunities, we have had referee's decisions not go in our favour."

Yeah, right, we believe you!

Sounds like a man on the edge. Having said that I suspect Steve Gibson will give him time, he`s not a hire-and-fire merchant.

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Talk about delusional...............

"People say the league table tells the truth, it's not. It's lying at the minute.

"We have had chances to score goals, we have missed opportunities, we have had referee's decisions not go in our favour."

Yeah, right, we believe you!

You cut it off early, he went on to say:

”we should be bottom” ???

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sounds like a man on the edge. Having said that I suspect Steve Gibson will give him time, he`s not a hire-and-fire merchant.

Maybe not at Premier League level, he may be a little more ruthless when the prospects of trips to Accrington, Forest Green and the Mem become a distinct possibility

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Maybe not at Premier League level, he may be a little more ruthless when the prospects of trips to Accrington, Forest Green and the Mem become a distinct possibility

That thought is enough to make any chairman take stock - what a frightening prospect and a mark of how low a club had sunk if the team have to trot out there!

Woodgate is only there because he's cheap; he was no. 4 in the previous set up.

He'll take them down and cut the annual loss for Steve Gibson by doing that.

Steve Gibson put his cards on the table when he appointed Woodgate: this is now a hobby club and the only requirement from a manager is that he keep squiet and keeps the annual loss low.

Goodbye Boro; your glory days are well behind you.

16 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

They didn’t look too bad down the Gate, just couldn’t defend

The ultimate irony as he was a central defender....

His time, like that of Nathan Jones (whose luck ran out this week at Stoke) must be close....

Steve Gibson is generally considered one of the best owners around from my understanding, as is our own owner. & possibly, like our own owner, he is looking at a long term strategy. Cannot say I know a lot about Middlesbrough or their performances. But I thought they did ok at our place & Woodgate is having to totally rip up the way they were playing last season & start again. That will take time & patience, very much like what we have been through. COYR 

Just now, Simon79 said:

Steve Gibson is generally considered one of the best owners around from my understanding, as is our own owner. & possibly, like our own owner, he is looking at a long term strategy. Cannot say I know a lot about Middlesbrough or their performances. But I thought they did ok at our place & Woodgate is having to totally rip up the way they were playing last season & start again. That will take time & patience, very much like what we have been through. COYR 

Absolutely he has been a great owner for the past twenty years but the eye-watering level of losses required to compete in the Championship these days looks to have become too much for him.

The Lansdown family is a lot richer than he is and is working to budgets; it looks to me like they are now beyond Steve Gibson's pockets.

I'm not slating the guy as he has been an excellent owner for Middlesborough but it looks like the costs of funding a decent Championship team is more than he either can now pay or is prepared to pay.

40 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Absolutely he has been a great owner for the past twenty years but the eye-watering level of losses required to compete in the Championship these days looks to have become too much for him.

The Lansdown family is a lot richer than he is and is working to budgets; it looks to me like they are now beyond Steve Gibson's pockets.

I'm not slating the guy as he has been an excellent owner for Middlesborough but it looks like the costs of funding a decent Championship team is more than he either can now pay or is prepared to pay.

Totally agree. But maybe he is looking at doing it a different way, rather than throwing endless amounts of cash at it, like us. Which is why he has gone for Woodgate. Just a thought. COYR 

29 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Totally agree. But maybe he is looking at doing it a different way, rather than throwing endless amounts of cash at it, like us. Which is why he has gone for Woodgate. Just a thought. COYR 

I think SL is doing the same; he has a set strategy and set budget (operating loss 18/19 was very close to 17/18) and has appointed a young manager who is happy to work within those constraints.

I just don't think that Steve Gibson can afford to keep taking the losses and has started cutting costs to a level he can fund; which may turn out to be Div 3.

Yeovil's owners couldn't absorb Championship losses; not many people can soak up £25m a year indefinitely.

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

Transfer fee has never been our issue, its the wages those players want

If the stadium sale saga from early this year is perhaps a clear indication that the impact of ffp is starting to bite, and that clubs fear the consequences of breaching ffp limits, is it possible that players and agents might start to adjust their wage expectations if clubs can no longer just "throw money at it" as they did in the past?

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If the stadium sale saga from early this year is perhaps a clear indication that the impact of ffp is starting to bite, and that clubs fear the consequences of breaching ffp limits, is it possible that players and agents might start to adjust their wage expectations if clubs can no longer just "throw money at it" as they did in the past?

It’s when this happens not if. Football is so thick as an industry that it will probably take a decent sized club to go bust before the message hits home.

Archived