IGNORED

Two key players out for Cardiff next Sunday

Lanterne Rouge

14 hours ago, spudski said:

I've repeatedly said from day one, that Fam would make a better CB than forward. He wins so much at defensive set pieces and when he doesn't, he does enough to put others off. It's no coincidence that we've conceded so much at set pieces since he hasn't played.

There's more to defending than winning headers! Fam trying to tackle in defence would be a disaster!

We have been shocking for the best part of this early season. We endured Warnock's style of play previously because it was getting results. Despite the negativity associated with the kind of football we served up in the first two seasons under Warnock, we were however, direct and great at the counter-attack, especially down the wings. It wasn't THAT bad to watch.

We had a poor Summer transfer window; considering the Sky TV money we had (more TV revenue than teams such as Juventus, Bayern Munich and PSG, to name but a few. Crazy, huh!), record Championship season ticket sales and players such as Bobby Reid and Josh Murphy, who were signed on realistic salaries that meant that in the event (likely!) of us returning to the Championship, we could build a team around them. Warnock decided to focus his recruitment on League One (2 players from Oxford), a player from the German 2nd tier (on the strength of one glorious game, whereby he scored a hat-trick against Bayern Munich in a cup tie) and two of your ex-players... Flint and Pack. We already lacked pace in our aging defence and yet Warnock thought that Flint was the answer? Pack, can play some nice passes at times but he's just too slow. Sixteen million pounds worth of players (Reid and Cunningham) sent out on loan to rival Championship teams.

We never give youth a chance, on Saturday against Birmingham we didn't field one player under the age of 26. The fans are restless and Warnock is starting to come under pressure for the first time. Both of our sides have been hit hard by injuries; how the game will go is anyone's guess, however, I'm not expecting it to be pleasing on the eye.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

There's more to defending than winning headers! Fam trying to tackle in defence would be a disaster!

Of course I know that mate...however his defensive skills at set pieces are naturally better than his offensive imo. And our eyes and stats prove it.

Imo if he'd changed position and learnt the trade of a CB at a younger age he could have been good.

Worth looking at stats as well, to actually see how many tackles are made in a game...not many. It's all about blocks and interception and forcing errors.

Imo Famaras 'engine' and natural vision would also suit a CB.

2 hours ago, Latcher said:

We have been shocking for the best part of this early season. We endured Warnock's style of play previously because it was getting results. Despite the negativity associated with the kind of football we served up in the first two seasons under Warnock, we were however, direct and great at the counter-attack, especially down the wings. It wasn't THAT bad to watch.

We had a poor Summer transfer window; considering the Sky TV money we had (more TV revenue than teams such as Juventus, Bayern Munich and PSG, to name but a few. Crazy, huh!), record Championship season ticket sales and players such as Bobby Reid and Josh Murphy, who were signed on realistic salaries that meant that in the event (likely!) of us returning to the Championship, we could build a team around them. Warnock decided to focus his recruitment on League One (2 players from Oxford), a player from the German 2nd tier (on the strength of one glorious game, whereby he scored a hat-trick against Bayern Munich in a cup tie) and two of your ex-players... Flint and Pack. We already lacked pace in our aging defence and yet Warnock thought that Flint was the answer? Pack, can play some nice passes at times but he's just too slow. Sixteen million pounds worth of players (Reid and Cunningham) sent out on loan to rival Championship teams.

We never give youth a chance, on Saturday against Birmingham we didn't field one player under the age of 26. The fans are restless and Warnock is starting to come under pressure for the first time. Both of our sides have been hit hard by injuries; how the game will go is anyone's guess, however, I'm not expecting it to be pleasing on the eye.

We haven’t been shocking at all. Stoke, Barnsley and the like have been shocking.  We are in and around the play offs.  I think people over estimate how good a team has to be to be successful in this league. We have been shocking compared to Liverpool and Man City this season but thankfully we don’t have to be as good as them to be successful 

To be above teams like Fulham with our injuries is pretty amazing really 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

We haven’t been shocking at all. Stoke, Barnsley and the like have been shocking.  We are in and around the play offs.  I think people over estimate how good a team has to be to be successful in this league. We have been shocking compared to Liverpool and Man City this season but thankfully we don’t have to be as good as them to be successful 

To be above teams like Fulham with our injuries is pretty amazing really 

Whoosh. You’re replying to a Cardiff fan’s comments on THEIR season!

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Seems pretty clear to me. Warnock isn’t our manager - for which, much thanks.

And he won’t be ours for long. This being his last season. I think he should have bowed out end of last season.  His spending on strikers and wingers that are either useless or he won’t play them, like bobby and Murphy has hit over 35 million, and another five on flint. He can spot a bargain but that’s about it.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Oops. Perhaps he/she should make it clear! 

How much clearer did you need it to be?

...."Despite the negativity associated with the kind of football we served up in the first two seasons under Warnock

"

...."players such as Bobby Reid and Josh Murphy, who were signed on realistic salaries"

..."on Saturday against Birmingham we didn't field one player under the age of 26"

3 hours ago, Montpelierblue said:

And he won’t be ours for long. This being his last season. I think he should have bowed out end of last season.  His spending on strikers and wingers that are either useless or he won’t play them, like bobby and Murphy has hit over 35 million, and another five on flint. He can spot a bargain but that’s about it.

I was surprised he didn't call it a day in the summer, especially with the Sala stuff which must have taken its toll on him.

I think the biggest danger on Sunday is going to be set pieces again - we need to be ready for that.

The two wingers aren’t what they were on their promotion season, but will obviously still need keeping quiet. 

I think if we can play it around in front of their back four and run the channels, we can get in behind and punish what is a relatively slow back line. 

21 hours ago, spudski said:

______________Bents______________

Moore____Kalas___Williams____Baker

_____Hunt___Messengo__Rowe_____

Weimann______Rodri________Palmer

That would be the team I'd play against Cardiff. Maybe swap Hunt for Brownhill depending on fitness.

Need to compete against set pieces.

Hunt and Rowe add some steel

Massengo does what he does.

Top 3 have different qualities that could work against Cardiff.

I would take out Palmer for Fam and have Rodri and weimann buzzing behind him . I know Palmer has better quality but for corners alone Fam will be needed to attack but also just as imortantly defend set pieces against a Colin team

1 hour ago, miketh2nd said:

I would take out Palmer for Fam and have Rodri and weimann buzzing behind him . I know Palmer has better quality but for corners alone Fam will be needed to attack but also just as imortantly defend set pieces against a Colin team

Fans still suspended.

22 hours ago, spudski said:

______________Bents______________

Moore____Kalas___Williams____Baker

_____Hunt___Messengo__Rowe_____

Weimann______Rodri________Palmer

That would be the team I'd play against Cardiff. Maybe swap Hunt for Brownhill depending on fitness.

Need to compete against set pieces.

Hunt and Rowe add some steel

Massengo does what he does.

Top 3 have different qualities that could work against Cardiff.

4 Centre backs?

Hunt in CM?

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

4 Centre backs?

Hunt in CM?

Well he won't be playing as still crocked. As per my original quote I'd play Brownhill their if fit instead...or talk of Smith maybe being ready.

4 Centre backs for Cardiff's threat at set pieces. Plus we can use at our own. Kalas and Moore and Baker have all played in a wider defensive role.

Hunt/Brownhill and Rowe to deal with their wide players. 

Massengo to stick Tomlin back in his box.

Front three to cause mayhem ?

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Well he won't be playing as still crocked. As per my original quote I'd play Brownhill their if fit instead...or talk of Smith maybe being ready.

4 Centre backs for Cardiff's threat at set pieces. Plus we can use at our own. Kalas and Moore and Baker have all played in a wider defensive role.

Hunt/Brownhill and Rowe to deal with their wide players. 

Massengo to stick Tomlin back in his box.

Front three to cause mayhem ?

I admire your optinism...........but when was the last time our attack caused mayhem?   I would hazard a guess on 9th April  3=2 versus WBA,   and for an away game ............at Sheff Utd March 30th, again 3=2

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I admire your optinism...........but when was the last time our attack caused mayhem?   I would hazard a guess on 9th April  3=2 versus WBA,   and for an away game ............at Sheff Utd March 30th, again 3=2

When was the last time we played 3 up front ???

Hit them with full on surprise ?

Archived