IGNORED

VAR

hollydog

Problem is, the money for being, or getting promoted to the PL- and in other ways, the stakes and levels are so big now.

Look at clubs suing each other over ground sales, or threatening to, or threatening to sue the EFL, with rumours that the EFL may in turn sue certain clubs who sold grounds if it costs them big- the stakes by which I mean financially so high now that the game will get increasingly litigious I fear- this is one way to head off that risk.

Imagine a club gets promoted with a very dodgy call in a playoff, or eliminated- yes go again next year...but missing out on £100m + parachutes or the opportuniy- I can see both sides of it tbh.

Likewise, a club gets relegated in a decider with a dodgy penalty or disallowed goal- yes part of the game, but OTOH £60m down the following year- conservative estimated losses from TV alone £60m!

Type of owners we've now got coming into the game...

VAR – Video Assistant Referee; main video official whose main role is to check all reviewable incidents and recommend an OFR where a possible clear and obvious error has occurred. The VAR is a current or former qualified referee. 

This is clearly not what is happening and I agree it is killing the game.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Problem is, the money for being, or getting promoted to the PL- and in other ways, the stakes and levels are so big now.

Look at clubs suing each other over ground sales, or threatening to, or threatening to sue the EFL, with rumours that the EFL may in turn sue certain clubs who sold grounds if it costs them big- the stakes by which I mean financially so high now that the game will get increasingly litigious I fear- this is one way to head off that risk.

Imagine a club gets promoted with a very dodgy call in a playoff, or eliminated- yes go again next year...but missing out on £100m + parachutes or the opportuniy- I can see both sides of it tbh.

Likewise, a club gets relegated in a decider with a dodgy penalty or disallowed goal- yes part of the game, but OTOH £60m down the following year- conservative estimated losses from TV alone £60m!

But if you start the season with no VAR then that is the rules and no one can complain.  That is football and it is suppose to be a sport played on a level field at all levels but now the elite are being treated different. VAR goal line technology not the sport being played even next level down in the championship.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

But, to me, all of this is a reason to have clear rules and a framework for how and when decisions are reviewed so that everyone knows the process and nobody can complain when it is followed. At the moment, the major issue seems to be nobody really quite knows what that framework and process is...

Here’s where VAR is doing itself no favours. Clearly not a red card for Son, the injury occurred through contact with another player and the ref’s given it based on his emotional reaction to the injury. 

Why isn’t that reviewed and someone in the refs ear telling him he’s got it wrong? 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

Here’s where VAR is doing itself no favours. Clearly not a red card for Son, the injury occurred through contact with another player and the ref’s given it based on his emotional reaction to the injury. 

Why isn’t that reviewed and someone in the refs ear telling him he’s got it wrong? 

Correct. Son clipped the Everton player who was off balance when he collided with the next Spurs player where upon he was badly hurt. Ref got it wrong there and the red card should be cancelled. VAR would have seen that.

12 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

But if you start the season with no VAR then that is the rules and no one can complain.  That is football and it is suppose to be a sport played on a level field at all levels but now the elite are being treated different. VAR goal line technology not the sport being played even next level down in the championship.

I agree- but I fear it's a sign of the times too.

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Exactly!!

a red based on looking at an injury. 

VAR clarifies nothing. Get rid of it. 

Just now, Banjo Island said:

A total joke of a bloke week in week out wether hes on the pitch or behind a tv screen horendous decisions every game hes involved in

Just for clarity. The ref in this game was Martin Atkinson. Mike Riley is the head of refs who is managing/overseeing VAR use and the referees approach to it

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Just for clarity. The ref in this game was Martin Atkinson. Mike Riley is the head of refs who is managing/overseeing VAR use and the referees approach to it

In fairness Atkinson is just as useless.

VAR was always a stupid concept.

It remains a stupid concept.

It will always be a stupid concept.

Let's get back to officials officiating and fans being able to debate and gripe when they get things wrong. Worked for decades and whilst it was always galling to be on the wrong side of a call it's ten times worse to remain on the wrong side of a call but for some numpty in a room in Watford to have reviewed and endorsed the error and for that to have taken 5 minutes sucking all the atmosphere out of the stadium.

40 minutes ago, Super said:

12 added mins

Is that for the time taken while they faffed about using VAR?

Meant to add that I know what it was for so I'm not making light of Gomez's injury, :( 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

PGMOL saying red card not overturned because Son's challenge endangered the safety of Gomes, but they don't know at which point his leg broke, whether it was before or after the following challenge.

They would say that, wouldn't they?

The day they say:"Our officials had a shocking match, made numerous errors and ruined both fans enjoyment and the match as a spectacle," then they'll be worth listening to.

As to when Gomes' injury occured, there's enough coverage at their disposal to show it sure as hell happened after he'd been challenged by Son and if they can't fathom that, they should be disbanded as an organisation.

2 minutes ago, City_USA said:

Would VAR have helped us yesterday? Pen when COD clipped in penalty area? Kicks on Massengo 2nd half?

We would always be the club that fails to get any decisions overturned or made in our favour.

In fact, if they'd reviewed the kicks on Massengo, knowing our luck  it would probably have resulted in a red card for Bailey Wright!

Archived