IGNORED

VAR

hollydog

6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

They would say that, wouldn't they?

The day they say:"Our officials had a shocking match, made numerous errors and ruined both fans enjoyment and the match as a spectacle," then they'll be worth listening to.

As to when Gomes' injury occured, there's enough coverage at their disposal to show it sure as hell happened after he'd been challenged by Son and if they can't fathom that, they should be disbanded as an organisation.

This seems one of the fundamental problems, i.e. if VAR identifies a clear and obvious error it immediately brings into question the referees ability and competence. Over turning on field decisions could/would be seen as undermining referees and I cannot see the authorities wanting that to become a regular an occurence.

The problem is the people making the decisions in the VAR room. It really is not that difficult. Clear pen, clearly not sending off. 

As for the offsides, only give when it is clear. Not exactly hard is it. Yes that is still subjective and not scientifically perfect, but it's still more accurate than not having VAR and clear offsides or clear fouls etc being missed or not given.

As for the foul, I thought that sending Son off was disgusting from the ref. He was already crying his eyes out and it was a standard yellow. 

The Sky guy said at the end 'Son misses 3 games, how long does Gomez miss, 3 months, 6 months?'....His leg is facing the other way and says 3 months out!?

Carragher made a good point. The game might get to a point where a cynical foul is a straight red. It may seem harsh, but imagine a game without cynical fouls. But then it becomes difficult for the ones where they geniunely go for balls.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

The problem is the people making the decisions in the VAR room. It really is not that difficult. Clear pen, clearly not sending off. 

As for the offsides, only give when it is clear. Not exactly hard is it. Yes that is still subjective and not scientifically perfect, but it's still more accurate than not having VAR and clear offsides or clear fouls etc being missed or not given.

As for the foul, I thought that sending Son off was disgusting from the ref. He was already crying his eyes out and it was a standard yellow. 

The Sky guy said at the end 'Son misses 3 games, how long does Gomez miss, 3 months, 6 months?'....His leg is facing the other way and says 3 months out!?

Carragher made a good point. The game might get to a point where a cynical foul is a straight red. It may seem harsh, but imagine a game without cynical fouls. But then it becomes difficult for the ones where they geniunely go for balls.

One rule I would like to see introduced is when players get booked on purpose for fouling when teams have a breakaway. The third player who does it on the same team should be sent off. They do similar in rugby, sin bin for 3rd or 4th player who commits same offence on same team. It works well 

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Get rid of it now. It adds nothing to the game and is sucking the life out of it.

Sometimes things shouldn`t be done just because they can be.

Exactly. I’ve never been to a game and come home saying “I saw a cracking decision today”. Getting decisions correct isn’t the most important thing 

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I’ve never been to a game and come home saying “I saw a cracking decision today”. Getting decisions correct isn’t the most important thing 

The best officials were always those who regarded success as fans leaving and having no recollection of who'd officiated the game they'd just watched.

Think I'd scrap the officials using VAR in a room, make the screens at pitch side touch screens where you can view from multiple angles and say referees can go to a screen if they want to check an incident for a red card or penalty only, scrap offsides and back the linesmen to be right, if you get a poor one then unlucky.

2 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The best officials were always those who regarded success as fans leaving and having no recollection of who'd officiated the game they'd just watched.

Funnily enough usually when you've seen your team win!

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Brought in with good intentions but not working at all. Scrap VAR. Keep goal line technology.

Also think it was brought in as a result of increasing pressure from disgruntled managers/coaches who thought that technology would remove human error from on field decisions and eliminate poor decision that could cost their team valuable points and their jobs.

One of the ironies about the current situation with VAR is that I suspect some of the most vociferous advocates for it's introduction are probably now it's biggest critics.

The old adage' be careful what you wish for".

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Son sent off wasn’t even a red, why no VAR to see what happened. Only a booking at worse 

Trip, hardly a challenge , he ends up getting sent off for the injury.

1 hour ago, Super said:

And still made the wrong decision.

Absolutely. I said after 3 views Pen. They looked how long and how many times and still couldn't see it hit his hand.

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

Correct. Son clipped the Everton player who was off balance when he collided with the next Spurs player where upon he was badly hurt. Ref got it wrong there and the red card should be cancelled. VAR would have seen that.

VAR did see it and the little men in Stockley Park are too scared to over rule Refs so ignored a very clear error.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

VAR is awful. Scrap it now. Another shocking weekend for VAR

How is Mike Riley still in a job?!

Not one to stick up for VAR but it in it's self isn't the problem.
You have a Ref make one decision, that the reviewers don't ever want to change and the Refs don't want to review themselves . Its all about how VAR is used and implemented .They need new rules, they need a time limit on reviews and they need to get the Refs to check their own decisions. 

In addition to VAR ruining one's matchday experience the other element that's spoiled matters is the insistence of the officials associations to no longer publish their home location and occupation ( it's now simply the association to which they're linked.)

A quick scan of the programme and you knew what you'd be in for. Coppers were generally pretty good, newsagents a tad variable and prison officers woeful. 'Uncle' Les Sharper aka the Paignton Albino was always a particular favourite, whilst Ron Crabb on the sheet you knew you were in for a problematic afternoon of watching him struggle to keep up with play.

6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

In addition to VAR ruining one's matchday experience the other element that's spoiled matters is the insistence of the officials associations to no longer publish their home location and occupation ( it's now simply the association to which they're linked.)

A quick scan of the programme and you knew what you'd be in for. Coppers were generally pretty good, newsagents a tad variable and prison officers woeful. 'Uncle' Les Sharper aka the Paignton Albino was always a particular favourite, whilst Ron Crabb on the sheet you knew you were in for a problematic afternoon of watching him struggle to keep up with play.

Who could forget Alan Savile? If ever a ref had short man syndrome. 

Another one that used to make me smile was Ray Lewis from Great Bookham - appropriate or what?

2 hours ago, hodge said:

PGMOL saying red card not overturned because Son's challenge endangered the safety of Gomes, but they don't know at which point his leg broke, whether it was before or after the following challenge.

So basically, any trip on a player is now an automatic red card offence based on a player potentially being caught again after the trip and breaking their leg?

What ******* nonsense!

4 hours ago, hodge said:

PGMOL saying red card not overturned because Son's challenge endangered the safety of Gomes, but they don't know at which point his leg broke, whether it was before or after the following challenge.

That's just nonsense. They are making up the rules as they go along each week. By that token the trip on Massengo at Barnsley was a straight red, and the follow up would probably warrant a lifetime ban. It was a trip, deliberate, yellow. 

In the bad old days ( or perhaps the good old days?) it was often commented that a referee had lost control of a game, usually when it got out of hand.

Watching the Everton highlights tonight and the VAR incidents it struck me that the referee had lost control , as he was no longer the person making the decisions. I also think there is a real danger that referees will be increasingly abdicating responsibility for contentious decisions in the hope that VAR will address them and any flack over the decision will then fall on VAR.

As was mentioned on MOTD, I still fail to understand why referees are not referring to pitch side monitors, as from fans' point of view it would surely better that the on field referee was making the final decision following a review of the incident, than the current situation when there is a complete vacuum while the VAR review takes place in a studio miles from the ground.

Just heard MOTD talking about the statement issued over Son's red card, justifying it on the basis that Son's challenge endanger the Everton player subsequently and also that the red card reflected the seriousness of the injury. I'm sorry but this seems like making the rules up as they go along. Son's challenge was a foul and probably a yellow card, but could not see it as reckless. Applying that logic back in the day, then Shilton would have been sent off when Cheesley came down and bust his knee.

There is just too much interference in the game, the rules of the game and the officiating during games this is becoming more dominant that the players' performance on the pitch and if the authorities are not careful they will make the game so sterile that it will lose it's appeal.

P.S. @italian dave saw your post after I posted mine saying the same about making the rules up as they go along - great minds and all of that!

Archived