IGNORED

Lyle Taylor

Unan

1 hour ago, BS15_RED said:

Taxes aside, I wouldn’t vote for Labour because Corbyn, Abbott and McDonell aren’t fit to run a bath, let alone a country. 

Also, I’m fed up of a career politician, Corbyn, coming out incessantly about “For the many, not the few”, when he’s amassed a considerable personal fortune making him one of the “few”.

"Amassed a considerable personal fortune"? He's been well paid as an MP for sure. The estimates of his wealth being around £3m seem to be basically based on his house being valued at around £1m (fairly unremarkable in London where the average house price is around £650k) and his pension £1-2m. Not sure where he has "amassed" wealth from elsewhere?

No idea where this assumption comes from that just because you have been fortunate in life you can't care about the less fortunate/low paid workers or the middle classes for that matter, but there we go. 

I agree Abbott isn't great but think McDonnell is fairly impressive, certainly in comparison to the shit-show that is the Tory cabinet. 

He comes from a strong middle class background, 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Amassed a considerable personal fortune"? He's been well paid as an MP for sure. The estimates of his wealth being around £3m seem to be basically based on his house being valued at around £1m (fairly unremarkable in London where the average house price is around £650k) and his pension £1-2m. Not sure where he has "amassed" wealth from elsewhere?

No idea where this assumption comes from that just because you have been fortunate in life you can't care about the less fortunate/low paid workers or the middle classes for that matter, but there we go. 

I agree Abbott isn't great but think McDonnell is fairly impressive, certainly in comparison to the shit-show that is the Tory cabinet. 

So £2-3m doesn’t make him one of the few? 

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

A "strong middle class background" oh no! Heretic! Burn him at the stake! 

An income of over £70k puts you in the top 5% of earners in the country so that accounts for every single MP. That doesn't mean they can't put forward and pass legislation that helps those less fortunate than them or low earners. Read my second paragraph again.

14 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Of course it does.

But it is a lot less impressive a story when you realise the £3m estimates just mean "bloke has lived in London for decades and his employers have a good pension scheme".

And I don't think Corbyn ever claimed to be one of the many.  His point is that the few should make sure the many are not living in poverty. As long as he is happy to help pay for that, he isn't being a hypocrite.

Archived