IGNORED

Pack and Flint

MattWSM

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree. I thought that Boro wasn’t the right move for him but Cardiff (Warnock) I thought would have tried to use him more like the way we did. Flint likes to be dominant though and hates other players hassling him and gettin in his space which we tried to do. He didn’t settle very well which was good. He did try and intimidate Bentley when we were preparing for their free kicks, but even the Ref told him to move.

Saying that we were never far away from a Pack’s freekick landing on his head I thought.

I thought Boro was perfect for him under Pulis.  And when they beat us (easily) 2-0 at our place early last season, it certainly looked as if he’d get promoted with them on that game alone.

On reflection perhaps we had him at his peak.  We got £7m for him (less a bit to Swindon), in his late 20s.  Fantastic business when Joe Bryan, much younger, went for less.

Good player when he was here, but not without his flaws too.  Cult status from his “no, no, no”, but his interview with Adam Baker last season showed that he was looking out for himself (I have no problem with that) as he’d entered the pro game later than most.

I will remember his days with us fondly.

@Davefevs, on reflection I probably meant to say it was a wrong move for him geographically rather than clubwise. He was settled here and had his step family to consider, and has now moved back down here when he signed for Cardiff. Cardiff coming in for him must have been a dream for him.

Yes he was great for us, but probably more emotionally than his skills as a player. Only when we have had players like Webster etc since has his shortcomings been highlighted.

On 10/11/2019 at 21:33, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Agree. 
the general booing of every opposition member, I get. The booing and w**ker chants to Pack (in jest I’m sure/hopeful) I didn’t get. 
6 years service, forced out (as in didn’t demand a move) and to be greater with that I thought was poor. 

Agree with this, if it puts them off their game I’d happily boo/jeer etc but to single those 2/3 out was poor. Boo the lot of them, its something imo we don’t do enough of at AG to make it abit more hostile for visiting teams, will always remember Almunia playing in goal for Watford and for the whole 45mins the EE gave him pelters and put him right off his game.

48 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Agree with this, if it puts them off their game I’d happily boo/jeer etc but to single those 2/3 out was poor. Boo the lot of them, its something imo we don’t do enough of at AG to make it abit more hostile for visiting teams, will always remember Almunia playing in goal for Watford and for the whole 45mins the EE gave him pelters and put him right off his game.

I remember when Jason McAteer played for Tranmere at AG and he got such a torrid time that it completely wound him up. IIRC he was hooked at half time as he was going to get himself sent off after getting booked. I think we won 4-0 maybe 5-0.

It works on some players (but most are not as dense as McAteer).

On 11/11/2019 at 23:28, bcfc01 said:

I remember when Jason McAteer played for Tranmere at AG and he got such a torrid time that it completely wound him up. IIRC he was hooked at half time as he was going to get himself sent off after getting booked. I think we won 4-0 maybe 5-0.

It works on some players (but most are not as dense as McAteer).

He reacted quite badly going off at half time. Mind you, he was getting hammered with taunts as he walked off.

Quite funny actually 

On 11/11/2019 at 19:09, Davefevs said:

I thought Boro was perfect for him under Pulis.  And when they beat us (easily) 2-0 at our place early last season, it certainly looked as if he’d get promoted with them on that game alone.

On reflection perhaps we had him at his peak.  We got £7m for him (less a bit to Swindon), in his late 20s.  Fantastic business when Joe Bryan, much younger, went for less.

Good player when he was here, but not without his flaws too.  Cult status from his “no, no, no”, but his interview with Adam Baker last season showed that he was looking out for himself (I have no problem with that) as he’d entered the pro game later than most.

I will remember his days with us fondly.

I remember getting a few negative comments on here when I suggested that would turn out to be the case. Of course he was an idol here, although part of me thinks he did start to believe the hype a little too much. It's odd seeing him in Cardiff blue now, oh and if he could put a quieter exhaust on his Discovery he might be seen in a better light by some of the locals in Portishead. :) 

Archived