IGNORED

Cameron Pring...

spudski

Watched him live for Newport County against Colchester United last season witnessing his first senior goal. Really liked what I saw of him that day. Up and down the wing like an express train. Player he resembled most from what we've had before was Christian Ribeiro. Hopefully he has more luck with injuries than him....

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

...anyone else see the footage Tinman put of him on Twitter playing for Walsall?

Very impressive... can't be far off playing for us.

Strong for a 21 yo...and looks like he has all the attributes we need ATM.

I like the fact he is two footed, he seems happy to cut inside or go outside which makes him harder to defend against. I hope that playing in a struggling Walsall side that have lost 6 games in row, doesn't dent his confidence.

He's a left back, we have two players in front of him. Tins clips are nice, but they don't show Pring on the first Swindon goal. He can 100% get back to stop that ball across. When you watch a Tinman video, it's  there to big the players up. Consider it propaganda. I approve, good to see him doing that. I feel he's good at his job and really cares about his responsibility to these young loanees. But don't get tricked by highlight videos of positive clips in lower leagues. There's a reason he's on loan in the first place. He's not near enough our team to be at the club. Yet. We'll see next pre season.

Walsall fans rate him though. Only hear good things from the ones I speak to.

They HATE Rory Holden. His free kick at 1:14. His shot at 1:42.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Be nice if we produced a ******* right back for once!

Dasilva then Pring then Soady a clear conveyor belt for if they get sold on or don't quite make it. 

Where are the right backs!?

Very weird how we can all name about 8 great left backs from the last 30 years but right backs always thin on ground. Bradley Orr probably the best but even he wasn’t that good. So not just youth level we can’t get it right 

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Be nice if we produced a ******* right back for once!

Dasilva then Pring then Soady a clear conveyor belt for if they get sold on or don't quite make it. 

Where are the right backs!?

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Very weird how we can all name about 8 great left backs from the last 30 years but right backs always thin on ground. Bradley Orr probably the best but even he wasn’t that good. So not just youth level we can’t get it right 

Who do we have at right back in the current U23's and U18's? I would look myself but the academy pages seem to have been taken down on the official site.

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

He's a left back, we have two players in front of him. Tins clips are nice, but they don't show Pring on the first Swindon goal. He can 100% get back to stop that ball across. When you watch a Tinman video, it's  there to big the players up. Consider it propaganda. I approve, good to see him doing that. I feel he's good at his job and really cares about his responsibility to these young loanees. But don't get tricked by highlight videos of positive clips in lower leagues. There's a reason he's on loan in the first place. He's not near enough our team to be at the club. Yet. We'll see next pre season.

I agree with your post entirely but in response to your first sentence would add the observation that our business model will likely see one of those players sold for a squillion quid in the not too distance future. On that basis, the sooner Pring is up to speed the better.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Who do we have at right back in the current U23's and U18's? I would look myself but the academy pages seem to have been taken down on the official site.

Most of the recent ones have ended up being released I think. I think LJ was trying to turn George Dowling into a RB at one point but he obviously ain't around anymore.

Vyner sort of the only one for ages.  

Ricardo Rees has played couple games RWB but he's a winger I think.

Just now, Shtanley said:

Most of the recent ones have ended up being released I think. I think LJ was trying to turn George Dowling into a RB at one point but he obviously ain't around anymore.

Vyner sort of the only one for ages.  

Ricardo Rees has played couple games RWB but he's a winger I think.

You and @RedDave are right, our right back position has been sketchy at best. Even going back over the years we had Rob Newman playing there, Bradley Orr came here as a midfield player and got converted to right back. I think the last right back we developed was Joe Burnell who was developing quite nicely and then bizarrely Danny Wilson converted him into a terrible midfield player. 

Pereira could be a long term answer if it suited both parties, I know he still has a mistake in him, but  because he is so well developed and looks a lot older I (and I think others) forget he is only 21. 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

You and @RedDave are right, our right back position has been sketchy at best. Even going back over the years we had Rob Newman playing there, Bradley Orr came here as a midfield player and got converted to right back. I think the last right back we developed was Joe Burnell who was developing quite nicely and then bizarrely Danny Wilson converted him into a terrible midfield player. 

Pereira could be a long term answer if it suited both parties, I know he still has a mistake in him, but  because he is so well developed and looks a lot older I (and I think others) forget he is only 21. 

Pereira was our best player on Friday, his performance was really encouraging.

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did Newman play RB when he first joined? I don’t remember that at all. What a centre back he was 

Vyner did ok in the end at right back at championship level last season. He had a very good final couple of months for Rotherham. But naturally he is a centre back, and even playing well now in midfield. Who knows where he ends up playing.

I think Ricardo Rees may become a right back. He played very well against a very strong senior Leeds under 23s at left wing back, but as they were all over us, he seemed more like a left back. And he is right footed.

Another one who I believe will be a right back is Opi Edwards. He's mainly a winger like Rees, but played right back a lot too. Like a lot of wingers they end up converted into full backs. Bryan, Kelly, Pring all began as wingers.

But I'm kind of getting desperate. You look at the other side and you have Pring, Nurse, Soady and Harper. And we produced Bryan and Kelly before that.

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

I think for the first Swindon goal, Pring was in the middle trying to mark two Swindon players....not sure how he could have stopped the ball being crossed from there.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Vyner did ok in the end at right back at championship level last season. He had a very good final couple of months for Rotherham. But naturally he is a centre back, and even playing well now in midfield. Who knows where he ends up playing.

I think Ricardo Rees may become a right back. He played very well against a very strong senior Leeds under 23s at left wing back, but as they were all over us, he seemed more like a left back. And he is right footed.

Another one who I believe will be a right back is Opi Edwards. He's mainly a winger like Rees, but played right back a lot too. Like a lot of wingers they end up converted into full backs. Bryan, Kelly, Pring all began as wingers.

But I'm kind of getting desperate. You look at the other side and you have Pring, Nurse, Soady and Harper. And we produced Bryan and Kelly before that.

Is Tinman so one footed that he can only develop left footed players ?

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Did Newman play RB when he first joined? I don’t remember that at all. What a centre back he was 

Not sure if it was when he first came into the team, but in the days of less subs, he was often on the bench because of the number of positions he could cover. In my memory he played everywhere across the back 4, central midfield and maybe even up front as an emergency striker, but I stand to be corrected as usual.  :) 

1 hour ago, onehowie said:

I think for the first Swindon goal, Pring was in the middle trying to mark two Swindon players....not sure how he could have stopped the ball being crossed from there.

Sorry I was unclear. He can stop the ball coming across to the player (like move him 3-4 yards towards the goal) if he had sprinted back, not stop the actual cross. And yeah he's got a choice to make, doesn't make either and doesn't affect the play. It's hard,  because the situation is bad. But he definitely could do better if he was more decisive/put more effort into that play IMO.

Pring will benefit from the game time at Walsall. However, I believe we should recall him as cover for Rowe until Dasilva is fit. Then Rowe can be used in midfield, (left side of a three?) and Print covers Dasilva.

If we are to make a genuine push for promotion, we need a squad with cover in all positions.

8 hours ago, Prinny said:

Mmmm...bit harsh in my opinion. Cam actually sprints back to get behind his centre back - the rest of the defence are totally out of shape and the midfield non-existent. Once Cam gets back he’s got a choice to make, as there are 2 players he needs to mark - either hold back anticipating the cut back, or run in anticipating the square ball. Tough call, but he anticipates the cut back. Not really much he could’ve done with that. 

The key is that he made the sprint to get back and cover in behind his centre back. I know a recently transferred, much lauded left back of these shores who wouldn’t have bothered sprinting back. But that’s another (well read) story ....

Archived