Spurs 2 Bayern 7

Liverpool 5 Arsenal 5

Chelsea 4 Ajax 4 

Saints 0 Leicester 9

Alloa 0 Arbroath 1

...when will it end?!

Barnsley  2 Bristol City 2

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One thing I will say, is that someone surprising- and he was terrible in many ways.

People maybe surprised to know, is that the surprising individual here was Blatter- he did not like VAR!

He probably knew it would kill the enjoyment out of football and put a lot of people off the game therefore the bribes on offer would take a major hit.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd be interested to know, are we the only country who really notably moan and bitch about it?

The whole enjoyment has been completely killed off by VAR and what makes it worse is they lied about how VAR would be used. Will only be used for Clear and Obvious errors, I’m sorry but disallowing a goal because a f’ing armpit is offside is beyond a joke. Fans now not sure whether to celebrate a goal now just incase VAR rules that their strikers strand of hair was offside. I think everyone are well within their rights to moan about it, it has to change now.

8 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

The whole enjoyment has been completely killed off by VAR and what makes it worse is they lied about how VAR would be used. Will only be used for Clear and Obvious errors, I’m sorry but disallowing a goal because a f’ing armpit is offside is beyond a joke. Fans now not sure whether to celebrate a goal now just incase VAR rules that their strikers strand of hair was offside. I think everyone are well within their rights to moan about it, it has to change now.

Well news for you, we don't run football.

We can do what we like on it domestically but at UEFA or WC levels, it'd need a fair few nations to kick off.

Your view on Blatter is quite Anglo Centric too I'd suggest. Developing football nations may well have a better view of his era!

Onto VAR, given the type of owners we have seen coming into.the game in the last 5-10, possibly even 15 years, could be a necessary evil.

A lot are very rich indeed, and further broken downs some are successful in their own fields, some big names in their own nations politically, others some combination.

Point is they're all pretty rich and I dare say a fair few quite litigious.

Namely the sort of people who aren't necessarily averse to legal action for big money over a clear error or a penalty over diving or a flag staging down!

If anything I'm surprised we haven't seen more over stuff like say long term injuries 

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We can do what we like on it domestically but at UEFA or WC levels, it'd need a fair few nations to kick off.

Your view on Blatter is quite Anglo Centric too I'd suggest. Developing football nations may well have a better view of his era!

Onto VAR, given the type of owners we have seen coming into.the game in the last 5-10, possibly even 15 years, could be a necessary evil.

A lot are very rich indeed, and further broken downs some are successful in their own fields, some big names in their own nations politically, others some combination.

Namely the sort of people who aren't necessarily averse to legal action for big money over a clear error or a penalty over diving or a flag staging down!

If anything I'm surprised we haven't seen more over stuff like say long term injuries 

So are you saying we should have VAR so refs don’t get sued for an incorrect decision? Quite a baffling point if so 

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So are you saying we should have VAR so refs don’t get sued for an incorrect decision? Quite a baffling point if so 

No, I'm saying the game is going that way.

Refs being sued? Not so much. No point, thinking of the financial loss that a poor decision sending a club down, denying them CL etc can lead to!

Thinking more legal challenges to the Leagues etc- precedent is being set neatly with Gibson threatening to sue Derby and then moving onto the EFL...EFL in turn may sue various clubs who sold their ground so I've been reading if the need or scope arises- not ruled out anyway. He's one of the older breed of owners anyway- these new ones are much more likely to kick off IMO.

Putting aside the legal action debate, there IS a reason to be favourable to VAR. It on paper should negate risk of home refs, risk of refs being swayed by bigger clubs etc- if implemented right! There's a big asterix against that last bit though- but technology is neutral.

I don't understand most of people's problem with VAR, it's there to enforce the rules. 

Unless your problem is that it breaks the game flow down then I understand, but it's there to make sure the correct decision is made. I welcome it. 

Imagine if there was VAR in every game last season, it would've done us some justice with Weimann's offside goals ?

59 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I don't understand most of people's problem with VAR, it's there to enforce the rules. 

Unless your problem is that it breaks the game flow down then I understand, but it's there to make sure the correct decision is made. I welcome it. 

Imagine if there was VAR in every game last season, it would've done us some justice with Weimann's offside goals ?

That, I think, is where the problem with VAR arises.

Penalties awarded that were not penalties and , more importantly in my view, clear penalties missed by referees but not being picked up and awarded by VAR - I thought VAR was to be used to identify clear and obvious errors.

It seems to be raising more problems than it solves. It's not the technology that is the problem, it is the people using it and how they are applying the laws of the game.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

That, I think, is where the problem with VAR arises.

Penalties awarded that were not penalties and , more importantly in my view, clear penalties missed by referees but not being picked up and awarded by VAR - I thought VAR was to be used to identify clear and obvious errors.

It seems to be raising more problems than it solves. It's not the technology that is the problem, it is the people using it and how they are applying the laws of the game.

Have I missed a bundle of incorrect VAR decisions being given? Not trying to be a dick, I just haven't seen any yet. 

And if it's 1 in 5 VAR decisions are incorrect then I agree it's causing problems and the errors lie with the VAR refs

51 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Have I missed a bundle of incorrect VAR decisions being given? Not trying to be a dick, I just haven't seen any yet. 

And if it's 1 in 5 VAR decisions are incorrect then I agree it's causing problems and the errors lie with the VAR refs

Watford penalty last week-end against Chelsea not even by the on field ref, but awarded by VAR - marginal at best. Previously, Watford had an absolutely cast iron penalty missed ( not given) against Spurs by the on field referee but also not given by VAR. I think it was the same Watford player in both incidents.

The two incidents stick out being very recent and pretty clear cut - to me anyway! There have been others , especially off side decisions, where the "clear and obvious" definition has been stretched beyond what most would regard as reasonable.

Prior to VAR most fans' major gripe was the inconsistency of referees in their decision making. From my perspective, VAR is more consistent - in it's inconsistency.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As long as they like the idea of getting the decision correct in front of four fans and a Black Labrador (for which you will get fined £4m by FIFA) then that’s great......

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

The Watford non penalty at Spurs the other week.

The Son sending off not corrected by VAR.

Various offsides given by the width of the forwards ? end.

David Silva non penner at Bournemouth.

Sebastian Haller non penner v Norwich.

Tielemans non red card v Bournemouth.

Origi fouled leading to Man Utd goal.

That’s off the top of my head and excludes a huge number of “debatable” decisions such as the penalty given against Leicester recently where the guy got clipped and fell over 35 seconds later and glaring inconsistencies in decisions made when the same thing has occurred, particularly in relation to handball.

Regardless of your view on VAR I think ultimately people will either get used to it or stop going to football. If it’s the latter then VAR will be scrapped whether people like it or not.

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

As long as they like the idea of getting the decision correct in front of four fans and a Black Labrador (for which you will get fined £4m by FIFA) then that’s great......

Fairly Anglocentric view IMO but time will tell...wonder if it's causing so much disquiet amongst fans in other nations.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fairly Anglocentric view IMO but time will tell...wonder if it's causing so much disquiet amongst fans in other nations.

You may be right but the fact is our league generates the highest income and if VAR threatens that we will not be seeing it for much longer in this country.....regardless of how well it is received in Serbia!!!!!

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

You may be right but the fact is our league generates the highest income and if VAR threatens that we will not be seeing it for much longer in this country.....regardless of how well it is received in Serbia!!!!!

Tbh, was thinking more of Italy, Spain and Germany- other big Leagues, all have VAR.

World Cups, CL.

Domestically, we can do what we like on it of course.

Archived