1. Soccer / Association Football 3.5 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, America
2. Cricket 2.5 Billion Asia, Australia, UK
3. Basketball 2.2 Billion US, Canada, China, and the Philippines
4. Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia
5. Tennis 1 Billion Europe, Americas, and Asia
6. Volleyball 900 Million Asia, Europe, Americas, and Australia
7. Table Tennis 850 Million Asia, Europe, Africa and Americas
8. Baseball 500 Million US, Japan, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic
9 Americal Football   Rugby 410 Million   410 Million USA mainly   France, England, New Zealand, South Africa
10 Golf 390 Million Europe, Asia, America, Canada

2 billion for field hockey? Really? Ice hockey I could understand but field hockey?

No Formula One on the list?

7 hours ago, New2City said:

esport cycling is a growing force. Especially after Zwfit partnered with the UCI in Yorkshire this fall.

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Jesus wept don't even get me started on zwift. My cyclist mates treating it like it's real, like a mile on zwift is equal to a mile on the road. Awful, awful thing.

And worse still, don’t call autumn ‘fall’! 

14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I've always understood that Angling is the UK sport with highest number involved. Don't know how accurate that is.

By far the biggest participant sport if participant is measured by registered. There are four million registered anglers - members of fishing clubs and rod licence holders.

Football is second but far exceeds angling in numbers who are not registered, affiliated etc. Include those who knock a ball around down the park, play with friends at six a side, play at school as being those who play football with players in clubs  .. Its something like one in six of the populace play some form a football once a month.

19 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Jesus wept don't even get me started on zwift. My cyclist mates treating it like it's real, like a mile on zwift is equal to a mile on the road. Awful, awful thing.

Being a zwifter myself, I can assure you a mile on zwift is harder/worse than a mile on the road. Honest to god, with a good smart trainer set up, it's incredibly realistic to road cycling.

2 hours ago, New2City said:

Being a zwifter myself, I can assure you a mile on zwift is harder/worse than a mile on the road. Honest to god, with a good smart trainer set up, it's incredibly realistic to road cycling.

Coincidentally I've met one or two Guitar Hero players who honestly think they are Eddie Van Halen ;)

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Coincidentally I've met one or two Guitar Hero players who honestly think they are Eddie Van Halen ;)

When playing Guitar Hero, you use a video game controller that happens to be shaped like a guitar. There are no strings, and while it's challenging to use the buttons on the "fret" of the video game, it's not nearly the same as positioning your fingers to produce the correct notes.  There are some exceptionally talented Guitar Hero players, but that skill wouldn't translate into being any good at guitar, without also knowing how to read music, how to place your fingers... how to actually play guitar.

Zwift is different in that you are taking an actual road bike and placing it into a trainer. With a smart trainer and a few other accessories, you can ride a simulated course (Zwift's take on Alpe d'Huez is a great comparison), feeling every grade change. People who have ridden the real Alpe and Alpe du Zwift have said repeatedly that it's quite comparable. There are video game dynamics to it... you acquire XP based on your riding, and you get virtual unlocks, which certainly helps motivate people to use the program. But the net end result is that you are still riding an actual bicycle, using your own body mechanics and not a video game controller.

On 07/11/2019 at 05:24, Torpey'sBigToe said:

And worse still, don’t call autumn ‘fall’! 

Fall is the original old english word, which was supplanted in the UK by the French based word Autumn via royal and gentry influence. 
The early settlers retained the traditional word.

Archived