IGNORED

Serie A 5 subs

BCFC Rich

5 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Apparently Serie A have made an official request to change from 3 substitutions to 5. Link to article

It seems it's already in place in Serie C (which I didn't know), not sure how I feel about that as a rule. Gives you a chance to change half your outfield team! It could lead to massive midgame tactical switches. 

Just helps the big clubs with the big squads stay at the top, as they sub one international super star for another.This in turn makes it more difficult for smaller clubs with smaller squads to compete. A step closer to the American system of ensuring the big money teams can not lose out.

I quite like the idea of 5 subs, think it will make for some dramatic changes in games and could be quite exciting. They'll have to really crack down on slowly exiting the field though as its already overly abused as a game management tactic with 3 subs, despite the new 'exit at the closest part of the pitch rule'. 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Just means more time wasting.

9 minutes ago, RedSA said:

I quite like the idea of 5 subs, think it will make for some dramatic changes in games and could be quite exciting. They'll have to really crack down on slowly exiting the field though as its already overly abused as a game management tactic with 3 subs, despite the new 'exit at the closest part of the pitch rule'. 

Perhaps they could make it so you're still only allowed to make substitutions at 3 points in the match. Two double subs and one single. That way no extra time will be wasted.

My thoughts are why does play need to be stopped to make a substitution. Why can't the leaving player just come over to the technical area and the fourth official note the substitution, inspect the oncoming player.  That way there needs to be no added time for substitutes and it makes the managers/coaches be more aware of formations/tactics being changed on the fly.

I would prefer the various leagues around the world to fix this using the opposite approach.

Instead of allowing more players to come on during a match, and offering an advantage to the big clubs that can stockpile players, why not set a "maximum game" cap on players, so that no single player can play more than x games in a season?

The arguments are always the same, around players being tired and not getting enough rest, all despite clubs with a winter break jetting off abroad to play a friendly instead. Instead, set a UEFA-wide rule that states a player can't play more than a given number of league games in a season, and clubs will be forced to rotate their players and offer opportunities to others.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d be all in favour of reducing the number of players on the bench from 7 to 4. Make the manager think about who’s on the bench. It would help reduce squad size too. 

That would surely only serve to further limit opportunities for young players? EFL has made a brave and appropriate step in making an academy player always be in the starting 18 this season, why undo that good work?

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

That would surely only serve to further limit opportunities for young players? EFL has made a brave and appropriate step in making an academy player always be in the starting 18 this season, why undo that good work?

Wasn’t suggesting removing that (For info it came in last season 18/19 - we just got blasé because we had Lloyd and Max! ?).  You could still stipulate a club developed player in the 15.  With only 4 subs that improves the opportunity of a sub getting on the pitch.  Currently with 6 other subs, a manager could throw in any of our Academy lads and probably not have to be too worried about having to play someone not ready.

At ameteur level they have rolling subs the fa directive for this was "to give more oppertunities to players " this has been running for two seasons now , it doesnt give any extra opportunities as its still a squad of 14 , im definatly in favour of 5 subs and a matchday squad of 16 , that would actually fulfil what the fa set out to do.......

Archived