Jump to content

Throwback Cardiff 1 City 3


Recommended Posts

Just now, elhombrecito said:

One of my best experiencs at a football match, ever. 

It’s funny how thin the line is that actually makes football exciting. 
 

Wigan at home on a Sunday lunch time is the polar opposite of that day. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 054123 said:

One of my top 3 away days ever, both on and off the pitch.

 

Proper carnage after the game, will always remember the roar that went up when the Cardiff supporters were trying to break down the gates to get at us in the away end that day

Shame their new ground is so tame, Ninian Park was always a cracking atmosphere

Remember going there to watch England U21s and took loads of abuse from the local police and staff about being English, but it was accepted back then - before too many snowflakes got involved

  • Like 1
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Proper carnage after the game, will always remember the roar that went up when the Cardiff supporters were trying to break down the gates to get at us in the away end that day

Shame their new ground is so tame, Ninian Park was always a cracking atmosphere

Remember going there to watch England U21s and took loads of abuse from the local police and staff about being English, but it was accepted back then - before too many snowflakes got involved

Are we allowed to call people ‘ snowflakes ‘ these days ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, phantom said:

Proper carnage after the game, will always remember the roar that went up when the Cardiff supporters were trying to break down the gates to get at us in the away end that day

Shame their new ground is so tame, Ninian Park was always a cracking atmosphere

Remember going there to watch England U21s and took loads of abuse from the local police and staff about being English, but it was accepted back then - before too many snowflakes got involved

I'm offended on behalf of all the snowflakes in Siberia

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At 1-0 down we were all over the shop and looked dead and buried.

Then suddenly 3 quick goals and saw it out comfortably. Amazing win despite them hurling coins etc at us all game. Best bit was their thugs celebrating a goal that never even crossed the line - they were too busy watching us to know for a while.

Sadly can't see anything like this Sunday.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I could re live one away day it would be this. Was incredible, got the early train from Taunton. Arrived at Cardiff central to be greeted by 100s of there fans wanting blood! Escort straight to great western pub with was packed with city. The escort to the ground was madness, even kids and women hanging out of windows hurling abuse at us, many attempts to get at us by mobs but police stopped it. Then the que to get in it was just going off all around :) so they just opened the gates and let us in. Went 1-0 down and I hold my hands up I’ve not heard a atmosphere like that! Was incredible. But when them 3 goal in 10 wonderful minutes went in. Not been in an away end like it since!! The walk back to station after game was utter carnage!!!! Great days! Sadly not the same anymore :(

  • Like 5
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the long term, it causes football issues- and problems, clearly.

Declines in interest and attendances for parts of the 1980s acroiss the board were certainly in part due to this- not solely though, but a decent part?

However on the day, yes a bit of edge or suspicion of such in the air can enhance the atmosphere- took some mates to Swansea at home and they very much enjoyed it. Likewise, another mate went with me to Millwall away last season and last time I saw them, they asked when it was this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it might be a tasty afternoon when we were getting abused on the coach by passing elderly motorists on the outskirts of Cardiff. I remember a toilet leaving the away end and the tomato Source bottles being used as missiles whilst the home fans were using razor blades and their own seats to throw back it was utter carnage and a bit windy on the coach on the way home. Yet I don't remember much of the game at all.. Do the Soul Crew even exist these days?

Edited by TMWANG50
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TMWANG50 said:

I thought it might be a tasty afternoon when we were getting abused on the coach by passing elderly motorists on the outskirts of Cardiff. I remember a toilet leaving the away end and the tomato Source bottles being used as missiles whilst the home fans were using razor blades and their own seats to throw back it was utter carnage and a bit windy on the coach on the way home. Yet I don't remember much of the game at all.. Do the Soul Crew even exist these days?

Not really. Plenty still go but most of them are about 50 now. Some big old bill cases West Ham home and Chelsea away saw 10 year bans and years in jail for plenty for hardly anything in comparison to stuff that used to go on. Prob sitting next to in the family stand with their kids....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Montpelierblue said:

Times have changed. Our supporter base has changed forever since leaving Ninian Park. Some older nutters never came with us. I guess that’s a good thing.  Walking from temple meads to Ashton gate was never a nice easy stroll either mind......particularly after we beat you in the playoff semi final.

Don’t forget selling our your entire history and identity for a few quid, probably turned a large number of the older supporters away :laugh:
 

cardiff-city-fans-embraced-the-red-scarf

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me old skool football matches any day.
The sterile atmosphere within grounds in the Championship today, (including AG) just does not do it for me. Cardiff away was always a Top 3 away day for me, and there are plenty of stories I could recall on here if I wanted. Some great memories in the old Ninian Park and at AG through the years. 

Remember 1 home game in the 80s when Cardiff dismantled the turnstiles going out by the Dolman exit. B Block City came out and all hell let loose. It took the escort nearly 2 hours to get back to TM.
The BBC filmed a City v Cardiff season (home and away) if you what to know more of what went on. It is on YouTube somewhere.

Crazy days.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

 

The BBC filmed a City v Cardiff season (home and away) if you what to know more of what went on. It is on YouTube somewhere.

Crazy days.

I think the 3 - 1 away was the match used in the documentary. If I remember rightly, some of their stewards got done after as they were filmed pretty much encouraging the missile throwing. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

Funny isnt it, all the trouble surrounding the game people are saying made it much more interesting.

If it was the same now, people would be calling everyone animals and callign for lifetime bans.

 

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Don’t forget selling our your entire history and identity for a few quid, probably turned a large number of the older supporters away :laugh:
 

cardiff-city-fans-embraced-the-red-scarf

Nice try, I thought poor quality jokes like that were reserved only for the unwashed tramps out west....the newbie glory hunters might have worn red but lots didn’t. In fact, thousands marched to get it back to blue, and we did, despite being blackmailed with no funding. We have people among us that would sell their soul for glory, I didn’t pay to go to one match whilst we played in red. Imagine your rich owner promised to take you to the so called promised land if the PL, which is a joke anyway, but you had to play in blue...

 

Edited by Montpelierblue
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super said:

Didn't Kavanagh score for them? Always a player I wish we had. Superb player.

He was far to good for L1 - I wish we’d have gone all out and signed him as I reckon it’d got us out of that division with DW if we had. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Give me old skool football matches any day.
The sterile atmosphere within grounds in the Championship today, (including AG) just does not do it for me. Cardiff away was always a Top 3 away day for me, and there are plenty of stories I could recall on here if I wanted. Some great memories in the old Ninian Park and at AG through the years. 

Remember 1 home game in the 80s when Cardiff dismantled the turnstiles going out by the Dolman exit. B Block City came out and all hell let loose. It took the escort nearly 2 hours to get back to TM.
The BBC filmed a City v Cardiff season (home and away) if you what to know more of what went on. It is on YouTube somewhere.

Crazy days.

Wasnt that early 1990 or possibly 1989? I missed that game but saw the previous one and the lovely league cup one where Andy Cole destroyed us before I’d got in the ground

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always remember a really old school ambush at the bottom of the Grangetown station steps. Police had surrounded city, but only on the outside of the group and therefor couldn’t get through the group to the steps.

What a day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Montpelierblue said:

 

Nice try, I thought poor quality jokes like that were reserved only for the unwashed tramps out west....the newbie glory hunters might have worn red but lots didn’t. In fact, thousands marched to get it back to blue, and we did, despite being blackmailed with no funding. We have people among us that would sell their soul for glory, I didn’t pay to go to one match whilst we played in red. Imagine your rich owner promised to take you to the so called promised land if the PL, which is a joke anyway, but you had to play in blue...

 

Heh heh heh 🎣

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...