IGNORED

Gary O'Neill's time at City a "nightmare"

CyderInACan

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-oneil-labels-time-bristol-3511226 

(which links to https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/o-neil-worried-city-s-approach-is-naive-1-6361388

Pretty poor articles but surprised there was nothing positive to say. I'm sure had he been fit for his spell here we would've seen a decent, experienced, campaigner. 

1 minute ago, Red 90 said:

I can imagine being paid to do absolutely nothing for 2 years must be hell.. 

I think you’ll find nearly every pro footballer wants to play. They don’t want to be injured for a long time and have their careers affected because of it

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I think he means a personal nightmare rather than anything to do with the club. The article is for Norwich as well so unlikely to have stuff about city's medical team or anything else city related included as probably not considered pertinent to the article. 

Exactly my reading of the interview.  He was keen to be part of the project, but injuries turned it into a nightmare.  He’s not slagging off the club, even though his knee injury was poorly diagnosed, hence the continual issues he had.  

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly my reading of the interview.  He was keen to be part of the project, but injuries turned it into a nightmare.  He’s not slagging off the club, even though his knee injury was poorly diagnosed, hence the continual issues he had.  

Yup, clickbait article 

Interesting what he says about Norwich's footballing identity. 

Puts into context what I was saying in the identity thread about even with all the planning and clarity of process, training etc in the world, it comes down to ability.

Norwich have taken the identity that served them well in the championship into Premier league and he describes that as "somewhere between commendable and naïve"

Also other another interesting sentence "Whether that is finding some tweaks or a halfway house, or changing it in certain games but still playing as they did in the Championship when at home against the weaker teams. At the moment it looks to me like they're sticking to what they want to do rather than adjusting to the situation in front of them

What a ridiculously over used tabloid expression  "Nightmare" !!   A Completely inappropriate  use of a word.............  A Nightmare is living in Syria during the ongoing troubles, NOT having a few injuty problems, what an absurd misuse of language?    A completely "Non Story" to filll non exsistent space in a void that doesn't even exsist in the first place!!

34 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Not a nightmare for us as he was integral in stopping the rot and keeping us up. He brought a brilliant ethic and workrate to a despondent club. Pity the horrendous injury he suffered did for his career.

Don't think he helped much at all in keeping us up. It was Pack and Smith in the the midfield when we went on a good run at the end of the season. O'Neil was pretty poor half the time he played. 

54 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Don't think he helped much at all in keeping us up. It was Pack and Smith in the the midfield when we went on a good run at the end of the season. O'Neil was pretty poor half the time he played. 

So wrong. We were utterly awful the previous season and GoN transformed the attitude of those midfielders around him. First half dozen games he transformed our firtunes. He brought Pack and Smith on leaps and bounds with his coverage and commitment, playing 10 years younger than his age.

And then he got crocked... see the state of his leg and you can see why he went out with a whimper.

18 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

So wrong. We were utterly awful the previous season and GoN transformed the attitude of those midfielders around him. First half dozen games he transformed our firtunes. He brought Pack and Smith on leaps and bounds with his coverage and commitment, playing 10 years younger than his age.

And then he got crocked... see the state of his leg and you can see why he went out with a whimper.

He was great in those opening games.  Box to box, good progressing passing, tackles.  Such a shame.

22 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Don't see how he transformed the attitudes of those midfielders around him. Korey was injured wasn't he in all those early games?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

True. O'Neill had so many injuries that he entered the field on a stretcher.

48 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

True. O'Neill had so many injuries that he entered the field on a stretcher.

I always used to refer to the bloke as Gary O No in all honesty and never quite saw what the fuss was about. Both parties came out disappointed as regards to the GO'N singing you could say

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I always used to refer to the bloke as Gary O No in all honesty and never quite saw what the fuss was about. Both parties came out disappointed as regards to the GO'N singing you could say

Oh I don't know,  I thought he had quite a nice voice.

19 hours ago, JBFC II said:

I think you’ll find nearly every pro footballer wants to play. They don’t want to be injured for a long time and have their careers affected because of it

Remember Winston Bogarde?  He spent 4 years at Chelsea earning £40k per week, but he only played 12 matches. He refused to leave because no other club would pay him as much 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/punditfeed.com/nostalgia/winston-bogarde/amp/

Archived