IGNORED

Lee Johnson Press Conference

And Its Smith

I wonder.  Suddenly we have five fit centre backs, so maybe three of them to play at the back and one (Moore?) to anchor midfield?  He tried it successfully with Webster last season.  Moore is a confident lad, not afraid to take ball forward, so maybe he could do a job.  How about:

Bentley

Kalas Williams Baker

Pereira Moore Massengo Rowe

Palmer O’Dowda

Weimann

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

Smith has been out for months and we shouldn’t really chuck him into this sort of combative game. Performing well in training is different than being match ready. This may be one game too soon. 

He might well be on the bench.  Could undoubtedly use 20 mins or so.

4 hours ago, Riaz said:

Wish our fans would lay off our young players.

The kid semenyo wasnt even a professional footballer 2 or 3 years ago

Not sure what you mean, I don’t think any fan does not want to see semenyo get up and running with a goal. However at this stage of his career he is not a championship footballer, it is not his fault that he has been given several opportunities to play at this level and it is great LJ trusts him, but in the same way the fans are entitled to suggest that he is not ready.

i may not have seen posts criticising him harshly and if their has been then that is wrong, but I have just seen posts pointing out the obvious around his game at the moment.

I haven’t seen any unfair criticism of Semenyo. All I’ve heard people saying is that he’s not yet ready for a club that wants to be top six in this league, which is absolutely true. 

Had we signed Nketiah or had Afobe not got injured he wouldn’t really be too near the first team regularly. 

It’s more crap journalism from the post who have sensationalised a handful of throwaway comments into something bigger than it is. Poor article. 

A lot of fans still have absolutely no idea that a 19 year old is likely not even close to the player they will become.

As far as the work rate goes, it is unlikely a 19 year old Weimann or Bobby Reid would have ran around like they now can when at that age. It takes learning tactically and physically.

I don't see it as Semenyo not trying. Diedhiou and Rodri don't run around like Weimann either. 

Fans saying they don't see what the fuss is about with Semenyo. Well just look at the good bits like Preston last season, Leicester and Boro games in cup. It takes a very special teenager to be able to do that. He's a special talent.

53 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Not sure what you mean, I don’t think any fan does not want to see semenyo get up and running with a goal. However at this stage of his career he is not a championship footballer, it is not his fault that he has been given several opportunities to play at this level and it is great LJ trusts him, but in the same way the fans are entitled to suggest that he is not ready.

i may not have seen posts criticising him harshly and if their has been then that is wrong, but I have just seen posts pointing out the obvious around his game at the moment.

I’m talking more about the fans that get on his back at games. When he makes mistakes.

And he’s not the first.

we shouldn’t moan and groan when youngsters make a mistake, we should cheer them on more. They are learning the game 

49 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I haven’t seen any unfair criticism of Semenyo. All I’ve heard people saying is that he’s not yet ready for a club that wants to be top six in this league, which is absolutely true. 

Had we signed Nketiah or had Afobe not got injured he wouldn’t really be too near the first team regularly. 

It’s more crap journalism from the post who have sensationalised a handful of throwaway comments into something bigger than it is. Poor article. 

Sorry ....really can't agree. I am not enamoured with the standard of journalism in general on the site, but what this article achieves, is to give an insight into the  background of Semenyo and what problems he faces, having not come through the Academy route.  Explaining that he is tactically naive,  and the reasons behind it.   Interested to hear, that you  believe that our manager spending the time to go into specific detail into Antoine's issues, so that supporters may gain some knowledge............are throwaway comments?

Sorry but this is just shite journalism:

It was, on the face of it, a damning display of a lack of work-rate or, even worse, desire to help his team when they needed all 10 outfield players to press relentless, defend diligently and fight for every ball.

Since that cameo - and the statistics highlight a poor performance, with the striker winning just two of 12 defensive actions attempted - the accusations of Semenyo being "lazy" have grown with each fleeting performance and the young forward is in danger of becoming a scapegoat for any deeper collective failings.

God loves a trier, but someone who doesn't try, well, that's just unforgivable.

Making it sound like the entire fan base have completely written him off and slammed his performances which simply isn’t true. 

The general consensus that I’ve encountered is that he simply needs game time at a lower level to be ready for this level, a la Reid, Bryan, Moore et al...

And more

If he's in the squad, he needs to play to the level of a Championship regular.

There is merit in that viewpoint but unfortunately that has spilled over into imbalanced and reactive scapegoating

Erm, sorry but that’s utter bollocks too. I haven’t seen him used as a scapegoat at all. Big difference in saying he’s not yet ready for this level and using him as a scapegoat for a poor team performance which I’ve not seen. 

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sorry your too clever for me ......Bristol86.  I will agree to disagree

Nothing to do with being clever mate, just think it’s pretty poor to sensationalise a bit of negative, but fair, criticism of someone’s performance and blow it all out of proportion. 

Personally I think Semenyo would really benefit from a full season in League One rather than the odd cameo here and there, which lets face it, he’s only getting because we have few other options. 

That doesn’t mean I’m scapegoating him, simply think he’s not yet at the level needed in a team with a fan base that will see finishing outside of the top six as failure.

If we were content as a fan base to be a mid table team then we’d have more scope to allow players to get up to speed here whilst making mistakes and learning on the job, but if we finish 12th we’ll be hounding the manager out...

55 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Nothing to do with being clever mate, just think it’s pretty poor to sensationalise a bit of negative, but fair, criticism of someone’s performance and blow it all out of proportion. 

Personally I think Semenyo would really benefit from a full season in League One rather than the odd cameo here and there, which lets face it, he’s only getting because we have few other options. 

That doesn’t mean I’m scapegoating him, simply think he’s not yet at the level needed in a team with a fan base that will see finishing outside of the top six as failure.

If we were content as a fan base to be a mid table team then we’d have more scope to allow players to get up to speed here whilst making mistakes and learning on the job, but if we finish 12th we’ll be hounding the manager out...

People on here and social media have said Semenyo doesn’t try.  That’s not a great thing to say about any player especially a young player and, may I add, with no evidence 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry but this is just shite journalism:

It was, on the face of it, a damning display of a lack of work-rate or, even worse, desire to help his team when they needed all 10 outfield players to press relentless, defend diligently and fight for every ball.

Since that cameo - and the statistics highlight a poor performance, with the striker winning just two of 12 defensive actions attempted - the accusations of Semenyo being "lazy" have grown with each fleeting performance and the young forward is in danger of becoming a scapegoat for any deeper collective failings.

God loves a trier, but someone who doesn't try, well, that's just unforgivable.

Who wrote this?

57 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Great to hear how well Eliasson would've done in Watford's 2008 team too tbf

Odd comment, but it was relevant. If we had Deeney up top and forestieri spraying balls into Nic, he'd be the best player in the championship. 

We've got Kasey, just need to find Deeney. 

Archived