IGNORED

SLO Finally we might have one?

Tipps69

38 minutes ago, Dave L said:

An outstanding appointment.  City through and through and a thoroughly nice bloke too. I wish him all the best, and I hope his skin is thick enough to deal with some of the nonsense that will be coming his way soon. 

There can't be much he hasn't experienced from the CATS coaches or working in the matchday ticket office for both rugby and football!

51 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The fact they have appointed someone with a life long association of the club and has been to a frightening number of games will mean he is likely to understand a lot of the frustrations people report. Chances are, he has experienced them himself.

Exactly. And again exactly why the post is perfect for him. He always goes above and beyond to help all the CATS coaches, not just the one he is stewarding on. I am very happy that he will now be paid for the many hours away from this that he gives voluntarily now anyway.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I really can`t see a downside to this appointment, the club seem to have got this one spot on.

I can see a downside - the hierarchy within AG.

I get the notion that the senior guy would rather not have an SLO but I has no choice in the matter and as I posted earlier for the SLO to have any influence on important matters they need to be outside the pay structure at AG....

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

From Slimbridge, I think. Used to come down on Chelt and Glos coach in the 80s.

All the best people were on that coach back in the day

City through and through. Not seen or spoken to Jerry in years, but I'm sure City have got the right bloke in the right position. I bet he can't believe he's actually an employee of the club!

Good luck, Jerry ?

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

The new SLO sounds like a top bloke and super fan but he’ll find himself dealing with stubborn and unhelpful heads of departments and of course Ashton himself - the very man who pays his salary.

The poor guy has little chance of getting anything important done - and far as I’m aware our fans are  not necessarily want,want, want. 
Simple issues like problems with shop or tickets are relatively easy to sort will be pretty much all he gets.

3rd time you've posted this - whats up Ian, apply and not get the job or something?

Or was there something in the job description about only being allowed to travel on coaches with City fans, or too many memories of shitting yourself in the 'offices of power' and didn't want to face MA in his?

Christ you are a bitter sad little chap.

2 hours ago, SX227 said:

3rd time you've posted this - whats up Ian, apply and not get the job or something?

Or was there something in the job description about only being allowed to travel on coaches with City fans, or too many memories of shitting yourself in the 'offices of power' and didn't want to face MA in his?

I'm all for bashing posters when they say something stupid, but jesus, the irony in your post. Think you and others should give RR a break, it's borderline bullying. As RR has said arrogantly said many a times, he has thick skin, but I for one can't stand the constant bashing of certain posters when it's not necessary and bringing up the past at every single occasion. That to me sounds a lot like bullying. Whether 12 years old or 60 years old. We're meant to be a community, a family, and like most families, we can't pick our members! And sure as hell won't always agree and get along. But give it a break. 

I think the point RR is making is actually a good one. We've got the best person possible to be our SLO, we just need to club to back him 100% and allow him to do his job, something the other SLO's evidently weren't able/allowed to do. 

I wish this guy all the best. I just hope that by making this appointment the club is signalling its intention by having an SLO that knows the club inside out, has been a fan for over 30 years and will do everything within his power for the club and the fans. Don't expect miracles, but I DO expect him to be on here, as this is the single biggest platform to engage with fans and simply a no brainer for me. 

9 hours ago, SX227 said:

I think you’re failing to understand the wider picture SX.

Sounds like the new SLO is perfect for the role but those in authority within AG, particularly the top man don’t really want a SLO of any kind.

So........any major issues that the SLO may raise will very probably meet with an unhelpful response from Ashton and his heads of departments.

Just one example : the enthusiastic singing fans are tucked away in the corner of the SS and that positioning makes it harder to hear whatever they’re singing. Far better if they were positioned behind the goal in the SS and the sound generated would carry more clearly but I doubt the new SLO will have any joy in persuading the hierarchy to agree to it......

Positive as always @Robbored  

Let’s at least give they chap a couple of weeks in the job before we determine his boundaries for failure. Jeez! 

For what it’s worth, Jer is the ideal bloke for the job. I can think of no one better. I don’t expect the SLO to change the world, I don’t expect him to campaign in a supporter bias manner, I just expect him to be a sound mediatior between the club and the fans. I would expect him to be much more aware of multiple fan issues/concerns than the previous incumbents, as he’s been there and done it. I would hope there is much less of the “please contact supporter services” kind of response, as Jer will be much more on the ball and willing to find the answers himself. 

Its not a political position where we should expect a “fans vs club” scenario - he’s just gonna be a much more informed conduit for the supporters. He’ll do a great job. Give the guy a chance mate. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Let’s at least give they chap a couple of weeks in the job before we determine his boundaries for failure. Jeez! 

For what it’s worth, Jer is the ideal bloke for the job. I can think of no one better. I don’t expect the SLO to change the world, I don’t expect him to campaign in a supporter bias manner, I just expect him to be a sound mediatior between the club and the fans. I would expect him to be much more aware of multiple fan issues/concerns than the previous incumbents, as he’s been there and done it. I would hope there is much less of the “please contact supporter services” kind of response, as Jer will be much more on the ball and willing to find the answers himself. 

Its not a political position where we should expect a “fans vs club” scenario - he’s just gonna be a much more informed conduit for the supporters. He’ll do a great job. Give the guy a chance mate. 

I don’t know Jer personally but he seems the ideal person for the role.

The point I’m making is that the SLO is not a position that holds any weight within the structure of AG. Ashton isn’t that keen on having a SLO but has no choice.but to employ one. He pays the person in position which means that pretty much what MA says, goes - including not permitting the SLO post on here..............:cool2:

I, and others think that any SLO should be funded independently but we all know that that won’t happen.

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

??????

I'm with RR. I've been in jobs before where, for all the effort and ability, my employer hasn't given me the tools or authority, based on budgetary constraints or whatever. 

He may be the perfect bloke, but BCFC's continued apathy to the role means its doomed. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Just one example : the enthusiastic singing fans are tucked away in the corner of the SS and that positioning makes it harder to hear whatever they’re singing. Far better if they were positioned behind the goal in the SS and the sound generated would carry more clearly but I doubt the new SLO will have any joy in persuading the hierarchy to agree to it......

But surely that would just annoy a load of fans? And there are going to be people in the area allocated to S82 who don't want to move, and those who occupy space behind the goal who don't want to move, sing or have people standing near them.

31 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm with RR. I've been in jobs before where, for all the effort and ability, my employer hasn't given me the tools or authority, based on budgetary constraints or whatever. 

He may be the perfect bloke, but BCFC's continued apathy to the role means its doomed. 

You have to hope that, by appointing someone who`s as died-in-the-wool City as Jerry, they are signalling a change in the club`s attitude towards the role.

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You have to hope that, by appointing someone who`s as died-in-the-wool City as Jerry, they are signalling a change in the club`s attitude towards the role.

Hmmm.........I like to know how the recruitment for the SLO was carried out.

11 hours ago, Akira said:

this is the single biggest platform to engage with fans and simply a no brainer for me. 

Agree with everything you say - except this. Is OTIB really the biggest platform? Surely Twitter is bigger? The club has something like 160,000 followers on there. It can retweet the SLO account and reach way more people than a single post on here will.

Personally I don't mind that the SLO doesn't post on here. They read this site - that's clear from the timing of certain Twitter posts. Having a single mouthpiece avoids confusion and it's enough that they read everything but then communicate by a single output. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The point I’m making is that the SLO is not a position that holds any weight within the structure of AG. Ashton isn’t that keen on having a SLO but has no choice.but to employ one. He pays the person in position which means that pretty much what MA says, goes - including not permitting the SLO post on here..............:cool2:

I, and others think that any SLO should be funded independently but we all know that that won’t happen.

But my point mate is that you are trying to place the SLO role as a political one - where you’d expect the fans to use the SLO to campaign for this or that and to have a supporter-bias. 

That’s not what the role is. It’s not a ‘fan on the board’ type of role. It’s just someone who 100% understands the nature of being a football fan, who will be able to be there and answer any needs of the fans - and he’s super-experienced and informed to be able to do that. 

If you take your example of moving S82/standing area to behind the goal, then sure that’s something that could be raised through the SLO, but would also be something for the SCT to be involved with - they would be more of the ‘supporter campaigning’ type of group. The SLO is not there as a political position to hold the club to account, he’s there to help supporters with day to day enquiries and issues, not complicated fundamentals such as safe standing and the like. 

Ashton’s own thoughts around the SLO are not important, the SLO is there to help supporters, not to campaign against the club in certain matters. 

For what it’s worth, Jer is perfect for such a role and will be empathetic to all supporters needs. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I agree on the funding point. Question though - who should pay the SLOs? The EFL? Who's on the board of the EFL...Mark Ashton. 

Maybe the FA? Not sure on that either - administrating 92 SLOs isn't easy.

Maybe Sky should just pay for them? Then we could have an easy in on TV changes to fixtures. 

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

But my point mate is that you are trying to place the SLO role as a political one - where you’d expect the fans to use the SLO to campaign for this or that and to have a supporter-bias. 

That’s not what the role is. It’s not a ‘fan on the board’ type of role. It’s just someone who 100% understands the nature of being a football fan, who will be able to be there and answer any needs of the fans - and he’s super-experienced and informed to be able to do that. 

If you take your example of moving S82/standing area to behind the goal, then sure that’s something that could be raised through the SLO, but would also be something for the SCT to be involved with - they would be more of the ‘supporter campaigning’ type of group. The SLO is not there as a political position to hold the club to account, he’s there to help supporters with day to day enquiries and issues, not complicated fundamentals such as safe standing and the like. 

Ashton’s own thoughts around the SLO are not important, the SLO is there to help supporters, not to campaign against the club in certain matters. 

For what it’s worth, Jer is perfect for such a role and will be empathetic to all supporters needs. 

An example from my own personal involvement with two previous SLOs regarding the dreadfully poor  tannoy in the Dolman. Both were in agreement that it was crap but neither were in a position to do anything about it. Both said they’d speak to the man in charge......The fact that I’d already met with MKelly was lost on them and as you can imagine nothing happened.

So....it was waste of my and their time. 

Im sure Jer will be in the same position as his predecessors were - pretty much toothless.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

An example from my own personal involvement with two previous SLOs regarding the dreadfully poor  tannoy in the Dolman. Both were in agreement that it was crap but neither were in a position to do anything about it. Both said they’d speak to the man in charge......The fact that I’d already met with MKelly was lost on them and as you can imagine nothing happened.

Im sure Jer will be in the same position as his predecessors were - pretty much toothless.

Ok, I think we've all got the point now.

22 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Great news!!

Never met him, but only read and heard positive things. He was the record holder for consecutive away games wasn't he?

Augurs well- he clearly has City fan credentials, clearly is one of us- unambiguously so which can only strengthen credibility I reckon.

This now heralds a sea change I hope- like I say from what I've read and heard, he seems a perfect match!

Welcome Jerry!

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Worth remembering (as Matt explained to me) that the SLO is an employee of the football club, and not the holding company or Bristol Sport.

Which limited the influence they can have. Believe that things get raised/passed on, but it's for the other companies to address the issues.

Which is probably why the PA system is still shit and there is no desire to get it fixed.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well, that’s not really a very good example of the SLO role being “toothless”. 

Both SLO’s listened to your concerns and raised them with the correct people. The fact that nothing could be done about it was not the failure of the SLO and his lack of influence, it was simply the fact that the owning company have struggled to find a solution. I understand certain things were changed but not necessarily to great satisfaction. The SLO performed their role, raised it with the correct persons, but those persons were not able to come up with a solution. 

That’s not an example of the SLO being toothless. That’s just you being dissatisfied in the outcome. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, that’s not really a very good example of the SLO role being “toothless”. 

Both SLO’s listened to your concerns and raised them with the correct people. The fact that nothing could be done about it was not the failure of the SLO and his lack of influence, it was simply the fact that the owning company have struggled to find a solution. I understand certain things were changed but not necessarily to great satisfaction. The SLO performed their role, raised it with the correct persons, but those persons were not able to come up with a solution. 

That’s not an example of the SLO being toothless. That’s just you being dissatisfied in the outcome. 

Put it this way - neither of them got back to me with any kind of explanation and to me that suggests that they didn’t bother to raise it with anyone.

Archived