IGNORED

Stoke appoint O’Neill

Jerseybean

This seems a huge gamble to me. Michael O’Neill, I think, only has club experience with Shamrock Rovers and Brechin City. Stoke are in a very difficult position (on and off the pitch) so much so that many fans were  hoping Tiny Penis would return to rescue them. 

Be interesting to see how he goes, starting with his first game v Barnsley tomorrow which has already been labelled as a six pointer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/nov/08/what-stoke-can-expect-after-prising-michael-oneill-from-northern-ireland

Stoke could well be the next Sunderland.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

This seems a huge gamble to me. Michael O’Neill, I think, only has club experience with Shamrock Rovers and Brechin City. Stoke are in a very difficult position (on and off the pitch) so much so that many fans were  hoping Tiny Penis would return to rescue them. 

Be interesting to see how he goes, starting with his first game v Barnsley tomorrow which has already been labelled as a six pointer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/nov/08/what-stoke-can-expect-after-prising-michael-oneill-from-northern-ireland

Not many to pick apart from Howe and Cowley 

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Agh Well!

The risk from Stoke’s perspective is that club management and international management are quite different jobs. Being good at one doesn’t guarantee being good at the other, although it by no means precludes it. 

O’Neill seems to be a likeable person and he’s done relatively well with NI over the last few years. It will be interesting to see how he does with Stoke. 

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

Their recent appointments, I assume UTC means

But every manager is different - how can UTC seriously suggest that any appointment at Stoke will fail just because others have? It may well be the case that MO’N won’t do well at Stoke, but that won’t have anything to do with Jones’ dismal record at The Potters 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

But every manager is different - how can UTC seriously suggest that any appointment at Stoke will fail just because others have? It may well be the case that MO’N won’t do well at Stoke, but that won’t have anything to do with Jones’ dismal record at The Potters 

True, but maybe after such a turbulent time you could have expected them to go more for the tried and tested. Who knows though, in all honesty

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

True, but maybe after such a turbulent time you could have expected them to go more for the tried and tested. Who knows though, in all honesty

Good point - they will obviously have to write off this season, maybe a Pulis or Allardyce type appointment may have been more sensible, just to ensure they stay up then start again next summer 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Good point - they will obviously have to write off this season, maybe a Pulis or Allardyce type appointment may have been more sensible, just to ensure they stay up then start again next summer 

I heard Allardyce say "not for me" on talksport this week actually. Too much going on there, he said. Or too much wrong or something

Personally think it's a huge gamble on his part.

Look what happened to coleman after leaving wales for sunderland. Went from a wanted man to unable to get a job. Reputation is a huge thing for a manager but Stoke have been in chaos since coming down from the premier league... Could potentially lead to his first job in england ending in a releagation on his cv.

Can take years to build a reputation but less than a season to destroy it.

4 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Personally think it's a huge gamble on his part.

Look what happened to coleman after leaving wales for sunderland. Went from a wanted man to unable to get a job. Reputation is a huge thing for a manager but Stoke have been in chaos since coming down from the premier league... Could potentially lead to his first job in england ending in a releagation on his cv.

Can take years to build a reputation but less than a season to destroy it.

Coleman was always a shit manager so your point is quickly expelled.

Archived