IGNORED

Stoke appoint O’Neill

Jerseybean

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I heard Allardyce say "not for me" on talksport this week actually. Too much going on there, he said. Or too much wrong or something

I thought it was hilarious when Holloway said on Talksport that he’d “walk to Sunderland for that job...” - and they didn’t even consider him at all to be their manager - a total snub, loved it! 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought it was hilarious when Holloway said on Talksport that he’d “walk to Sunderland for that job...” - and they didn’t even consider him at all to be their manager - a total snub, loved it! 

I think it's pretty much game over for Holloway as far as football management is concerned. Of course , there still is I'm a celeb, strictly, baking off or whatever it's called, a possible alternative to the Boris / Corbyn borefest maybe he could stand for PM... the world is stil very much Ian's oyster, i would imagine

13 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Coleman was always a shit manager so your point is quickly expelled.

He absolutely wasn’t - he was the youngest manager in the premier league when he took Fulham to a 9th placed finish in his first full season in charge - they were not relegated from the top flight during his time in charge there - so, far from ‘shit’ ...

It's seems like a few people are forgetting he has managed at club level, and very successfully winning back to back titles and the domestic cup with Shamrock Rovers and making it to the Europa group stages (no small feat for a club that size). Yes that's all very different to managing here but he clearly knows how to get things organized and could do very well. 

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He absolutely wasn’t - he was the youngest manager in the premier league when he took Fulham to a 9th placed finish in his first full season in charge - they were not relegated from the top flight during his time in charge there - so, far from ‘shit’ ...

Christ you are a spin doctor in waiting,his club career has been utter dog turd apart from 2 years 

31 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Coleman was always a shit manager so your point is quickly expelled.

Well not really.

There are similarities.

Oneills only real success is in international football.

Colemans only real success is in international football. 

Both offered the jobs due to these successes.

Like coleman, Oneill has gone in november (1 and half months before a transfer window) to a big championship club that were recently in the Prem but now considered a bit of a basket case. 

In both cases the clubs are bottom and over paying big name players and having their motivation questioned.

If we want to get silly...Both teams play in red and white stripes.

Whilst you could say that Oneill arguably got more out of the players at his disposal at northern Ireland than coleman did at wales, coleman did get wales to a semi final. So you are saying coleman was always shit because of his club record... Something Oneill doesn't have in this country. 

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not ‘in waiting’ JJT - I’ve worked with, and in, the media for over 30 years ... I’ve got more spin than Shane Warne could ever dream of ...! ??

I heard you’re a “wrong ‘un” who loves “googlies out the back of his hand” ???

19 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Picking a dead fish tho son trying to convince everyone Coleman was a good club manager 

Son?! If LJ took us to 9th in the premier league and left without relegating us from the top flight, you’d probably want a statue of him outside AG - but when Coleman does that for Fulham, he’s ‘shit’ ...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Son?! If LJ took us to 9th in the premier league and left without relegating us from the top flight, you’d probably want a statue of him outside AG - but when Coleman does that for Fulham, he’s ‘shit’ ...

In the interests of balance, Coleman also took Coventry to their lowest finish (at the time) in 45 years. His time at Sunderland was a disaster, and he was fired in China for poor performance. 

He didn’t really spend enough time in Greece for his stint there to be judged a success or failure.

Real Sociedad were 5th in the Spanish second tier when he was fired, so he did OK there, although a newly relegated team with decent resources at that level would probably expect to be challenging more strongly for automatic promotion. 

Decent early managerial career at Fulham but his managerial record at club level since has been mixed, to say the least. 

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Son is something I naturally say to everyone,wasn’t a dig so chill your knickers ?,Guess you think Mark Hughes is a genius seeing as he took Fulham to 8th in the prem,I can tell you know he isn’t 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So do you think if NI were to offer twice that stoke offered he still would of left for his own career and professional pride 

He’s limited to what he can achieve with Northern Ireland. But then they wouldn’t offer twice what Stoke would so it’s irrelevant

4 minutes ago, David Brent said:

He’s limited to what he can achieve with Northern Ireland. But then they wouldn’t offer twice what Stoke would so it’s irrelevant

He’s even more limited to what he can achieve at stoke,even if he got them promoted that’s about the only achievement they will ever get in this day in age,I would say getting NI to major tournaments is a bigger achievement 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Hardly. Once the inherited team became his own, it didn't go well. The guy spouts utter bull. 'if we scored 4 goals we would've won' excuses were great every time they conceded 3 and lost ?

Seems a nice guy though, based on the Netflix/Sunderland series.

If he took charge of City it would be a guaranteed disaster.

11 hours ago, North London Red said:

In the interests of balance, Coleman also took Coventry to their lowest finish (at the time) in 45 years....

I think you’ve believed Wiki too much. Wiki says Coleman was sacked because he took Coventry to their lowest league finish in 45 years, 19th in the championship in the 2009/10 season, but that’s not true. 

Coventry’s lowest league finish in 45 years was 21st in the Championship - in the 2007/2008 season. Coleman was appointed as Coventry manager with just over two months of that season remaining, he replaced Iain Dowie, so hardly his fault. And the club had become under the clutches of Ray Ranson and SISU by then - and that mess has been well-documented. 

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think you’ve believed Wiki too much. Wiki says Coleman was sacked because he took Coventry to their lowest league finish in 45 years, 19th in the championship in the 2009/10 season, but that’s not true. 

Coventry’s lowest league finish in 45 years was 21st in the Championship - in the 2007/2008 season. Coleman was appointed as Coventry manager with just over two months of that season remaining, he replaced Iain Dowie, so hardly his fault. And the club had become under the clutches of Ray Ranson and SISU by then - and that mess has been well-documented. 

Not strictly true. 
Coleman took over on the 18th of February, with Coventry in 20th, won his first game in charge to move them to 18th, 4 points above 21st but went on to win 3 out of his next 14 to see them go down by a point. 
Not totally his fault, but he did take over a club outside the relegation zone and move them in to it...

The other point to bear in mind is that he is a football coach and apart from the likely salary increase and the fact that he may have taken NI as far as he can, he is fed-up not coaching every day and wants to be more involved.

He was probably waiting for what he views as the ‘ right opportunity ‘ to come along.

All he will be expected to do this season is keep them up.

Next year however the expectations will be much higher.

Archived