IGNORED

Atmosphere

frenchred

7 hours ago, 054123 said:

The natural tribalism is being slowly killed off. 

Sky like to tell you that forest v Derby is a big game, but the truth is, everything that made it that historically, is everything they don’t want. 

What made Liverpool v Utd the fixture it is, is that they genuinely despised each other with genuine reasons (probably wrongly) behind it.

You cannot just create that artificially. That is a level of emotion and depth of feeling that is almost gone now. It’s a depth of emotion that when you score you just want to run on the pitch to celebrate, or when you concede detest that player and tell him so.

I go to city because I genuinely love them. If it wasn’t city, I wouldn’t go to football, it’s that crap.

Yet in the 80’s I went to villa park a few times and it was intoxicating. I’ll never forget a game v Everton there. Everton’s lot came in late and Villa went mad. Game delayed. It was genuinely one of the most exciting things I have ever seen. When Villa took the lead, I thought the holt end shook as they surged forward. Everton scored later and their enclosure went berserk, I remember them just clambering up onto the fencing and bouncing around behind, simply unbelievable. I could easily have become an Everton fan that day, whether they were in division 1 or 4. Not like now where people genuinely think that football is something called the premier league.

If the same scenes had happened this weekend it would be ‘disgraceful’ with social media and the press spending all week vilifying the fans. 

And yet by the weekend they would desperately trying to you tell how great football is and why you must subscribe to their channel ?

Funny you should allude to that scenario - I was vaguely watching a sky sports programme about the  Man Utd Arsenal rivalry of yesteryear. The one thing that struck me was as how nuts the away fan supporters erupted when scoring a goal.Probably what the modern day football interpretation of the term “scenes” was born from. I wasn’t at the United cup game but that seemed to touch on the old days  - Hartlepool play offs was the last I felt it at AG.  Love our club and where it is going but there is definitely a bit of ‘sting’ gone from the stands. 

7 hours ago, grifty said:

You don’t have to swear to create an atmosphere?

Humans are affected by environments. If you remove what were social norms in a football stadiums there is an effect. Football stadiums were once environments were social groups could gather to behave in very unrestrictive manners. Stadiums have become intolerant environments. They were once very different so very different and more emotive behaviours were norms .. 

6 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I remember going to Ninian Park countless times, off the train walking down the middle of the road with hundreds of others, a few pints, great banter at the game, sing what you want and stood up all the time, great days at the match; heck even the same at Swindon and at countless grounds most of which are gone now.

The matchday exp is gone for me, Its become boring and the last glowing embers went with the Eastend.

Sit down shut up is indeed not far away and I will probably never go again, glad I have some great memories though .....armchair supporter it is then. :tv_horror:

I’m exactly the same Glos,  after nearly 40 years of watching City home and away, I now don’t go, and I don’t miss it at all. I never ever thought I would be saying this. I do know others that feel the same. 

I now get more of a buzz watching local non league games. I will always love the City and all the City supporting mates I made over the years, but I don’t feel any affinity towards the players on the pitch,, and the new breed of supporter that now goes to AG.

I totally understand that times have changed, but it’s not for me anymore. 

20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Humans are affected by environments. If you remove what were social norms in a football stadiums there is an effect. Football stadiums were once environments were social groups could gather to behave in very unrestrictive manners. Stadiums have become intolerant environments. They were once very different so very different and more emotive behaviours were norms .. 

I agree with this...I found it interesting whilst following Lazio in Italy.

Anything goes in the stadium on a Sunday afternoon. Every greiveience is put forth. Everything seen worth shouting about is done at the stadium. Politics...the lot.

It all kicks off...everything against the establishment. All controlled within that area and 'policed'.

Yet walk the streets night and day...no problems. Family values, no fighting, no drunks.

However cheating the establishment or being 'cute' is a traditional pastime.

44 minutes ago, San Fran City said:

Funny you should allude to that scenario - I was vaguely watching a sky sports programme about the  Man Utd Arsenal rivalry of yesteryear. The one thing that struck me was as how nuts the away fan supporters erupted when scoring a goal.Probably what the modern day football interpretation of the term “scenes” was born from. I wasn’t at the United cup game but that seemed to touch on the old days  - Hartlepool play offs was the last I felt it at AG.  Love our club and where it is going but there is definitely a bit of ‘sting’ gone from the stands. 

Crystal Palace 2008 didn't do it for you then I take it? Both legs were. great IMO. 

A couple of other good nights, the Swindon 3-0 in 2015 and the Bristol Derby 2013 even though it was only a JPT 1st round! 

Rotherham 2007 and first game back v QPR a few months on. Some of those games before Christmas in 2007/08 under GJ, especially at night or 5.30pm were great. 

56 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Oh dear, we seem to be just where we were over 50years ago, except imo we had a better team/manager and a club that was our Bristol City FC and nothing else.

Do you think the next 50yrs will be any different? better or worse? will the first 500million pound transfer have been made by then? will everyone be watching from corperate boxes or at home via links to the games as no-one will be able to afford to drive to games or be able to park anywhere......do enjoy the future. :mf_sleep:

I didn’t meant to patronise but I’m really not that bothered, that’s all. I have no issue with modern football.

Out of interest @Cowshed and @glos old boy

There was possibly someone else too.

Anyway I share concerns over aspects of modern football. The all-seater policy (seemingly pretty inconsistently applied on a national level,  as well as the policy itself) and the blanket alcohol ban in view of the pitch, a policy that is  5-10 years out of date IMO. 

I hope that these policies will be modified or even revoked sooner rather than later!

However the free speech issue is one that interests me...what is it,  what type of things would it be that you feel restricted, overtly so from stating or chanting in the ground?

Bit drastic no @054123

Swearing to be banned at football soon- genuinely can't see that!

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Nothing like the East End in the 70's mind.  Imagine that nowadays.

You couldn't explain to younger fans just what that experience was like. The crush, the noise, banging the tin sheeting, coppers behind you, the pit of a toilet block, the click-click-click of the turnstile, paying by cash, the crazy songs, the railings, the clothes, the music, big name teams with international players......and so on.

4 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

You couldn't explain to younger fans just what that experience was like. The crush, the noise, banging the tin sheeting, coppers behind you, the pit of a toilet block, the click-click-click of the turnstile, paying by cash, the crazy songs, the railings, the clothes, the music, big name teams with international players......and so on.

Getting in the ground an hour before the game to get a good spot, ground full 45 minutes before the start, coppers helmets being thrown around.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Getting in the ground an hour before the game to get a good spot, ground full 45 minutes before the start, coppers helmets being thrown around.

Back in the 70s was the main “eastend” block between steel Pilar’s 3 and 4 or 4 and 5 looking on from the pitch. I remember this block a sea of red and white scarves and red and white booble hats. The atmosphere was fantastic and it was our end of the ground.

Generally speaking, to get an atmosphere nowadays you need, first and foremost, things happening on the pitch, meaning in and around the penalty area: shots and crosses winging in, ricochets, balls flying off the woodwork, near misses, keeper being peppered and getting his shorts muddy, plus a goal or two. The chance of a goal.

But modern football is mostly neat triangles, going backwards and square, keeping possession, with barely a foot put or left in, no glove laid upon anyone, the ball continually going back to the centre backs and then wide to the full back, interspersed with hoofs down the field when a short neat sideways pass isn't on, then - yawn - back again, keeping possession, doing as drilled, nice and neat - just going for a piss - back to the keeper, square back square - just get me phone out - pass pass pass - is it half-time yet? - pass pass back side side back - Liverpool are winning - pass miss pass more short neat and not so neat passes - 

The Wigan game had 4 goals but was about as lively and alive as a midweek country cricket fixture meandering to a draw up Glos

12 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree with this...I found it interesting whilst following Lazio in Italy.

Anything goes in the stadium on a Sunday afternoon. Every greiveience is put forth. Everything seen worth shouting about is done at the stadium. Politics...the lot.

It all kicks off...everything against the establishment. All controlled within that area and 'policed'.

Yet walk the streets night and day...no problems. Family values, no fighting, no drunks.

However cheating the establishment or being 'cute' is a traditional pastime.

There will be cultural differences but football is/was a means of escaping society.

In the UK its become a was. The health and safety and even pious political correctness are now part of football stadiums. They are controlled environments. The way formerly boisterous crowd are under control is extreme.

Comically stewards in the Dolman stand informed fans if they wanted to sing and stand they should go in the singing section - No emotion here but there please.

Emotion is policed and stewarded.  The logical and obvious effect is people are now more inhibited.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Out of interest @Cowshed and @glos old boy

There was possibly someone else too.

Anyway I share concerns over aspects of modern football. The all-seater policy (seemingly pretty inconsistently applied on a national level,  as well as the policy itself) and the blanket alcohol ban in view of the pitch, a policy that is  5-10 years out of date IMO. 

I hope that these policies will be modified or even revoked sooner rather than later!

However the free speech issue is one that interests me...what is it,  what type of things would it be that you feel restricted, overtly so from stating or chanting in the ground?

Bit drastic no @054123

Swearing to be banned at football soon- genuinely can't see that!

Archived