IGNORED

Jamie Vardy

MC RISK77

21 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Amazing player and career....only let down by a premature national team retirement. 

To be fair to him he is not likely to start over Kane at any point regardless of form. At his age I guess you don’t want to be doing the travelling all for a few minutes here and there and would be best getting extra rest in where possible 

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

What are thoughts on Vardy?...fabulous striker with 91 goals in premier league in 186 apearances, scores against all teams all for a team outside top 6.

he was 26 when he played his first premier league game...is he a player who has never been truly appreciated?

They are 2nd

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Ridiculous comment....At his age he needs to concentrate on his club football.  A very sensible, smart and mature decision. IMHO.

Don’t think it was 100% his decision., probably that in conversation between them  Gareth Southgate told Jamie that he  wanted to focus on younger players . . Jamie accepted that this focus would probably mean he wouldn’t get too many further opportunities so decided he may as well put his energies into club football.  Having been awarded October player of the month award, and his goal scoring this season it appears to be Gareth backtracking as to whether Jamie would be recalled.

5 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Don’t think it was 100% his decision., probably that in conversation between them  Gareth Southgate told Jamie that he  wanted to focus on younger players . . Jamie accepted that this focus would probably mean he wouldn’t get too many further opportunities so decided he may as well put his energies into club football.  Having been awarded October player of the month award, and his goal scoring this season it appears to be Gareth backtracking as to whether Jamie would be recalled.

True. I really like Southgate but not calling Vardy up in his form is foolish, he is a menace in front of goal and his conversion rate is incredible 

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Hard begrudge him doing well. Worked his way up from the bottom and stayed scoring goals consistently at the same club. Could have jumped ship and earned himself a lot more money but didn’t. Legend status at Leicester 

I read he was on the verge of giving up football for a proper job, when playing non League. Deserves all he gets from the game.

24 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Ridiculous comment....At his age he needs to concentrate on his club football.  A very sensible, smart and mature decision. IMHO.

Given that he was always back up to Kane you can understand it. When I saw that Southgate was reviewing the situation, I guess that would be for the Tournament , that would make sense for both parties imo.

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely superb player. I actually prefer watching him to Kane.

The way he's still at his peak aged 32 is particularly impressive. A certain Mr Rooney should've taken a leaf out of his book instead of flaking off to America. 

Jamie Vardy is a proper footballer. Would love someone like him in the City team.

• Admin
1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

True. I really like Southgate but not calling Vardy up in his form is foolish, he is a menace in front of goal and his conversion rate is incredible 

Is it Southgate not calling him up, or is it Vardy, really being retired from internationals.  On Sky tonight, Tony Adams was in full support, said he did the same thing and it gave him two more years playing, that makes the decision very understandable.

Vardy in for Kane for this International break is exactly what all parties need.

Vardy - Keeps up his great goal scoring form. I bet he wished there was a game tomorrow to play in.

Kane - Been out of form as have Spurs. 2 weeks off, focus, get rid of any niggly injuries.

England - Imagine a front three of Sterling - Vardy - Sancho...

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Playing for your country should be the pinnacle. Can't stand players that retire themselves because they fear not being picked in another squad. 

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

Vardy in for Kane for this International break is exactly what all parties need.

Vardy - Keeps up his great goal scoring form. I bet he wished there was a game tomorrow to play in.

Kane - Been out of form as have Spurs. 2 weeks off, focus, get rid of any niggly injuries.

England - Imagine a front three of Sterling - Vardy - Sancho...

Maybe not Sancho after today... hauled off after 36 minutes in a 4-0 defeat to Bayern.

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Playing for your country should be the pinnacle. Can't stand players that retire themselves because they fear not being picked in another squad. 

Gareth Southgate made it quite clear he was going for youth. By playing well for his club, Jamie Vardy is putting the pressure back on Gareth, by showing what he can do and reminding Gareth that sometimes you need that mix of experience and youth. 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The way he's still at his peak aged 32 is particularly impressive. A certain Mr Rooney should've taken a leaf out of his book instead of flaking off to America. 

First line I agree with. I disagree with the notion Rooney is a flake. It's definitely pre-judging his Derby career. Not a Rooney fan, also not a fan of recency bias when studying history.

Rooney played for what 10? 12? years at his top level. If you include age groups Rooney might have been at peak for around 20 years. I'd say Vardy is at 5. Why does it matter if it's 10-30 or 27-32? I'd argue it's even harder to maintain a desire and work rate to be successful when you're at the top of your profession and have been since being a teen. Look at all the wonder kids that show talent then burn out just as fast.

If you want to applaud Jamie Vardy for sticking at it, you should applaud Wayne Rooney more for having much more sustained success than Jamie Vardy (so far) EVEN with the giant spotlight shining on him from being the centre of media attention, being at an elite club and playing for England.

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

What are thoughts on Vardy?...is he a player who has never been truly appreciated?

There was an entire season where the only thing people will remember are that Leicester City won a title with Mahrez and Vardy up front. He has his rightful place is history. Don't think he's under appreciated at all.

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

To be fair to him he is not likely to start over Kane at any point regardless of form. At his age I guess you don’t want to be doing the travelling all for a few minutes here and there and would be best getting extra rest in where possible 

I'm starting to have a few misgivings about Southgate and you've touched on the main one. Everyone should be droppable and not certain to play regardless of form.  Tammy Abraham 100% deserves a chance next week but will probably get a few minutes from the bench. One suspects Vardy retired because he could see that he wouldn't get a fair crack of the whip.  Kane is a great goalscorer but he's hardly the next Ronaldo or Messi and it's perfectly possible that others will supplant him.  Where was Kane at the same stage of his career as Tammy??

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Despite his goals record for club and country, I think Tottenham (until this season’s form!!) play a game that suits Kane, and England don’t.

Harsh, I know, but Kane doesn’t offer much over and above his goals (in the main), and against the good defenders deeper in tournaments, I always feel Kane is lacking.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of Vardy in Kane’s position in an international shirt before he retired.  Think his pace may have been a big asset to the team, even if he didn’t score as heavily as Kane.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Great player - but Leicester is not a club ‘outside the top 6’ ...

Not currently I appreciate that but they are not classed as big a club as the mainstream top 6 of city, Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, spurs.

think Vardy had the chance to join arsenal after they won the title was great to see him stay the next season.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Despite his goals record for club and country, I think Tottenham (until this season’s form!!) play a game that suits Kane, and England don’t.

Harsh, I know, but Kane doesn’t offer much over and above his goals (in the main), and against the good defenders deeper in tournaments, I always feel Kane is lacking.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of Vardy in Kane’s position in an international shirt before he retired.  Think his pace may have been a big asset to the team, even if he didn’t score as heavily as Kane.

I think Southgate is beginning to use Kane in a Firminho role now. I love it when he comes deep, Sterling and Sancho or Rashford come more central, and Kane can thread balls through. Kane is an exceptional passer of the ball, maybe the best we have imo. 

It is interesting with Vardy how he is still so quick and nearly 33. I think a key thing is that he never did gym work. He said if he did weights that would slow him down. I can't imagine him being so lively for 90 minutes if he had. I think this is something any striker of that style should consider.

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It is interesting with Vardy how he is still so quick and nearly 33. I think a key thing is that he never did gym work. He said if he did weights that would slow him down. I can't imagine him being so lively for 90 minutes if he had. I think this is something any striker of that style should consider.

It’s funny you say that. I always thought Torres lost a bit of that electric pace when he put muscle. For him it was a double edged sword. His body needed strength to cope with the Prem, so it was one or the other. 

Archived