IGNORED

Jamie Vardy

MC RISK77

9 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Gareth Southgate made it quite clear he was going for youth. By playing well for his club, Jamie Vardy is putting the pressure back on Gareth, by showing what he can do and reminding Gareth that sometimes you need that mix of experience and youth. 

Vardy won’t be at the next WC which is what we will be aiming for - I’ve no issue with getting a squad together to peak then 

absolutely superb PL player though 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s funny you say that. I always thought Torres lost a bit of that electric pace when he put muscle. For him it was a double edged sword. His body needed strength to cope with the Prem, so it was one or the other. 

Yep true. I think sometimes injuries are blamed for strikers losing pace, but I am not sure the injuries are always the true reason.

Michael Owen lost his pace very early in his career. Yes he had injuries, but even a couple of years after that Argentina goal he looked like he'd lost a bit of that pace. He did a lot of strength training which I believe may have slowed him down, but also maybe made him more susceptible to injury, which would slow him down more. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep true. I think sometimes injuries are blamed for strikers losing pace, but I am not sure the injuries are always the true reason.

Michael Owen lost his pace very early in his career. Yes he had injuries, but even a couple of years after that Argentina goal he looked like he'd lost a bit of that pace. He did a lot of strength training which I believe may have slowed him down, but also maybe made him more susceptible to injury, which would slow him down more. 

I think the same can also be said of Joe Bryan, when he bulked up I’m not sue he still had the pace that he previously had. It’s a fine balance, and you need the right body . For some weights will work for others not so much

1 minute ago, E.G.Red said:

I think the same can also be said of Joe Bryan, when he bulked up I’m not sue he still had the pace that he previously had. It’s a fine balance, and you need the right body . For some weights will work for others not so much

Great example. I always felt Joe's stamina completely went after he had bulked up so much. His defensive errors were often nearer the end of games when he always looked so tired. A younger Bryan could get up and down the line for 90 minutes no problem. The Bryan we saw in that final year or 2 for us did not have that energy.

Like you say everyone is different. I am not sure Bobby Reid would have become the player he did if he had not bulked up so much. And unlike Joe, Bobby bulking up didn't seem to affect his stamina at all.

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Another.  David James.  Well before his City days tho’.  He bulked up, and I think lost some agility.

As others say, some players need muscle, some Dont.

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely superb player. I actually prefer watching him to Kane.

The way he's still at his peak aged 32 is particularly impressive. A certain Mr Rooney should've taken a leaf out of his book instead of flaking off to America. 

The difference is that Rooney started playing top level professional football at 16.  It's not your age, but the number and the intensity of the games you've played.

2 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

The difference is that Rooney started playing top level professional football at 16.  It's not your age, but the number and the intensity of the games you've played.

Yes, and rooney had a thicker build and more aggressive style, it wasnt a surprise when he stopped playing top level football at about 32. 

1 minute ago, RedSkin said:

Agreed, Rooney matured very early and was physically mixing it with adult defences at fifteen.  He was maybe even at his physical peak at 17 - 19 when most strikers look like weedy boys.

And the price for maturing early is slowing down early.

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Agreed, Rooney matured very early and was physically mixing it with adult defences at fifteen.  He was maybe even at his physical peak at 17 - 19 when most strikers look like weedy boys.

And the price for maturing early is Receding hairline early.

Corrected ???

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Despite his goals record for club and country, I think Tottenham (until this season’s form!!) play a game that suits Kane, and England don’t.

Harsh, I know, but Kane doesn’t offer much over and above his goals (in the main), and against the good defenders deeper in tournaments, I always feel Kane is lacking.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of Vardy in Kane’s position in an international shirt before he retired.  Think his pace may have been a big asset to the team, even if he didn’t score as heavily as Kane.

I disagree with that and think Kane is perfect for england as the pivot bringing in the pace of sterling and rashford / sancho. The first half of the Spain match in Seville was the perfect example of that. He offers so much more than goals I think, he never makes bad decisions and brings other players into play so we’ll.

14 hours ago, Spoons said:

Amazing player and career....only let down by a premature national team retirement. 

Although it could be argued that his form is due to him retiring from international duty, just like it helped Scholes.

31 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

Vardy has amazing energy, is an intelligent player, and a top class finisher.

He has everything going for him in life. I just can't fathom why he's so angry every time he scores!! ?

I'd be angry if I had to put up with all that crap from his misses ?

Something I have been thinking about, if he continues like this, do we try and get him back for the Euros? How could we not if he reaches 20+ goals?

With it being at home I could see him going for that but how the hell do we fit him in with Kane etc? But then its also impossible to leave him out if he makes himself available. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Despite his goals record for club and country, I think Tottenham (until this season’s form!!) play a game that suits Kane, and England don’t.

Harsh, I know, but Kane doesn’t offer much over and above his goals (in the main), and against the good defenders deeper in tournaments, I always feel Kane is lacking.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of Vardy in Kane’s position in an international shirt before he retired.  Think his pace may have been a big asset to the team, even if he didn’t score as heavily as Kane.

It isn’t harsh. Kane is massively overrated. Great finisher but doesn’t do enough when his team is struggling. Whenever England or Tottenham are struggling to break teams down watch Kane and his movement. I went to a live game when I couldn’t get a Luton ticket. Spurs v Watford and Kane’s movement made Fam look like Vardy. He was shocking just jogging left to right 20 yards standing next to one of Watford’s 3 CBs. Imo England would be better with Vardy or Tammy or even Wilson who gets called up. 

As for Vardy he is a fantastic player. Think coming up from non league actually goes against him when talking about the best. For me  he is one of the best in the league. Good technical ability, fantastic motor, very composed and clinical, can link up and hold up decently and two footed. I love watching him play and the chip on his shoulder celebrations I love too. His goal against West Brom a season or two ago is one of the best I have seen. 

52 minutes ago, Zookeeper WSM said:

I disagree with that and think Kane is perfect for england as the pivot bringing in the pace of sterling and rashford / sancho. The first half of the Spain match in Seville was the perfect example of that. He offers so much more than goals I think, he never makes bad decisions and brings other players into play so we’ll.

That type of performance has happened a couple / few times in his numerous appearances.  It is not how he normally plays in an England shirt.

Archived