IGNORED

Championship Table

Davefevs

I was going to post saying I would like to see us keeping a few more clean sheets, but then thought i'd just have a little look at the rest of the top 6 for comparison.

Clean sheets kept so far this season the by current top 6;

West Brom - 4

Preston - 4

Leeds - 8

Swansea - 5

Forest - 5

City - 4

So with the obvious exception of Leeds, there's not much in it. Goes to show just how competitive this league really is. When you also consider that we've lost Webster and had Kalas and Dasilva out injured for long periods of time, I can really see us pushing on. First away clean sheet yesterday, especially at a place we've historically struggled at, should do us the power of good.

17 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair play to Rowe though. He's done alright considering that's not his natural position. He hasn't let anyone down TBH.

I'd say hes done better than alright. Improved defensively and offers something going forward. He frequently will drift inside to make space for others down his side. One of best signings when it comes to value.

A week or two ago people were saying anyone down to 16 was in with a shot at automatic promotion.

While teams can climb rapidly with a good run, I think the automatic places now are going to teams in the current top 10 (still wide open though). With 10th place now being 6 points behind 6th, a gap between the top sides and the rest is slowly being made. 

We have done very well to be where we are with all the selection issues we have had, hopefully with players returning we can push on and maybe be a part of the breakaway 2 or 3 sides that tend to appear after Christmas.

37 minutes ago, Super said:

It's the home form that still concerns me. LJ seems to have the away form sorted but still appears to be clueless on his line up and formation at home.

Home form this season is P7 W3 D3 L1.

Over 1.7 points per game, otherwise known as playoff form.

Amazing with such a clueless manager...

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A week or two ago people were saying anyone down to 16 was in with a shot at automatic promotion.

While teams can climb rapidly with a good run, I think the automatic places now are going to teams in the current top 10 (still wide open though). With 10th place now being 6 points behind 6th, a gap between the top sides and the rest is slowly being made. 

We have done very well to be where we are with all the selection issues we have had, hopefully with players returning we can push on and maybe be a part of the breakaway 2 or 3 sides that tend to appear after Christmas.

Sometimes one to emerge from the pack.

Fulham in 2017/18 taking it to the last day from nowhere the obvious one.

Last season though it was slightly different, Sheffield United had standard top 6 contention of 38 points from 23 games- looked a lot like it'd be Leeds and Norwich,  with WBA the next realistic challengers- 9 and 10 points off the top, still haviung to go away to the top 3.

They did it though, got 2nd and in contention for the title until the final day!

5 minutes ago, Super said:

How many of those have we played well in? 

Playing well and form are two very different things. Though based on the fact that you felt petty enough to 'aubergine' my post that completely disproved what you said about form, that difference is too nuanced for you.

Though off the top of my head we played quite well against QPR, and played very well in the second half- particularly the last 20-25 minutes- against Charlton.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sometimes one to emerge from the pack.

Fulham in 2017/18 taking it to the last day from nowhere the obvious one.

Last season though it was slightly different, Sheffield United had standard top 6 contention of 38 points from 23 games- looked a lot like it'd be Leeds and Norwich,  with WBA the next realistic challengers- 9 and 10 points off the top, still haviung to go away to the top 3.

They did it though, got 2nd and in contention for the title until the final day!

As I said, "while teams can climb rapidly with a good run..."

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Playing well and form are two very different things. Though based on the fact that you felt petty enough to 'aubergine' my post that completely disproved what you said about form, that difference it too nuanced for you.

Though off the top of my head we played quite well against QPR, and played very well in the second half- particularly the last 20-25 minutes- against Charlton.

So that's 1.5 games out of 7. For the record I don't think we were very good against QPR.

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Otherwise known as 15th in the home league table.

Having played less home games than the majority.

But of course, comparing on an equal ground wouldn't fit would it?

2 sides of the 14 above us in the home table have played the same number of games, the rest have played at least 1 more home game.

Of the 2 to have played 7 home games like us, the highest has gained 1 point more.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Having played less home games than the majority.

But of course, comparing on an equal ground would fit would it?

3 extra points in the game in hand would mean 7th, 1 extra point 12th. Compared to our away form 3rd in the table, it's clear where our problem still lies.

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Otherwise known as 15th in the home league table.

Misleading though as we've only played 7.

Extrapolated over 8, well I'll have a look now- adjusted and extrapolated then it's different- we'd have another point or 2.

Swansea with a game more are 12th in the Home League table, Nottingham Forest are 13th and just one point ahead at home.

Leeds won their first 4 away games in pretty dominant style yet at home couldn't finish sides- it's that sort of division in some ways!

Oh and West Brom are 9th in the home form table- you know WBA who have lost once all season, top of the table and score reasonably freely- a massive one point above us.

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

3 extra points in the game in hand would mean 7th, 1 extra point 12th. Compared to our away form 3rd in the table, it's clear where our problem still lies.

Look again at my post.

WBA the highest of the teams who played 7 home games have got just 1 point more. They are 9th.

A win in that game in hand could see us 6th in that table...

Home form still needs a bit of work IMO- or performances.

I think as players return from injury and we keep ticking along, we need to build from a position of strength and to continually do so- would not mind something like:

Back 4 and Bentley

Brownhill Nagy Massengo

Palmer O'Dowda

Weimann

• Control- A pretty centrally top heavy shape. The ability to drift inside and stay drifting inside as per O'Dowda.
  • Flexibility- O'Dowda can pull wider to help out a bit defensively in his other role, Brownhill can pull wide right and Weimann's high pressing can buy time.
  • Fluidity- well look at the football on paper.
  • Balance and workload- 3 would immediately bolster the centre of the park, would significantly reduce the risk of burnout. The balance would come because of that 3, instead of say Palmer or before him Paterson ahead of them in the centre of a '3'.

This might help moving forwards. Always build from a position of strength I reckon.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

As I said it was off the top of my head.

Equally you still seem unable to grasp that form and performance quality aren't the same thing. Our home form is not a problem.

It is and has been for a while. We were 17th in the form home table last season and 3rd away from home.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

It is and has been for a while. We were 17th in the form home table last season and 3rd away from home.

It was a problem last season.

This is not last season.

This is this season and our home form from this season would get us almost 80 points taken over 46 games.

LAST SEASON home form was an issue.

THIS SEASON home form isn't an issue.

You are now literally ignoring facts.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

This is not last season.

This is this season and our home form from this season would get us almost 80 points taken over 46 games.

What's so confusing @Super?

Are you not aware that a new season started in August?

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

This is not last season.

The control and baseline performance levels though are often down on 2017/18 for sure, this started last season and has continued now- yet I'm not so worried about the home form this time around either.

Archived