Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Davefevs

Championship Table

All with up to 6 first team players out . 
When we come back we could have a fit Korey, a fully match fit Nagy and Kalas. Fam available and Rodri getting fitter.  Hunt back in contention and JD close to fitness.

When you look at it, a good bit of business in January and we could actually make a serious push. Potentially exciting 2nd half of the season coming up. 

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

5131747D-6AF1-4F7F-803B-1B541A6A2600.thumb.jpeg.dd281c86758f6f08a27eae3a4c739c84.jpeg

16 games in.

6th place, 2 points ahead of Fulham, 3 ahead of Wednesday.

Looks so much healthier than 22 hours ago.

We’ve also only played 7 at home (I think our home form is improving too) and 9 away.

Unbeaten in 4 after the reverse at Luton...2 wins, 2 draws...is a good response.  You can’t be fussy who you get your points against.  Had we won last week and drew today, we’d still have the same points, yet this seems more satisfying.

The hope is now that with players returning from injury we cement our place in the top 6.

Add to that we have the best goal keeper in the league 

williams has signed for the rest of the season 

and like you said some key players to come back 

never a better time to be a city fan 

plus rovers could only manage a draw against a non league team with a crowd of under 4000

FOREVER IN OUR SHADOW 

• Like 1

Nice position for City to be in after 16 games but nothing is won in November with 30 Championship to go.

That said.....so far, so good.....

1 minute ago, sticks 1969 said:

plus rovers could only manage a draw against a non league team, who decided to take one of their players off and play with 10 men, to try and even things up a bit, with a crowd of under 4000

FOREVER IN OUR SHADOW 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nice position for City to be in after 16 games but nothing is won in November with 30 Championship to go.

I think you're under selling it @Robbored , we have done brilliantly to be where we are, with the injuries we have had to cope with, nothing short of amazing really.  I do agree it means nothing just yet but praise where praise is due, great effort so far.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

5131747D-6AF1-4F7F-803B-1B541A6A2600.thumb.jpeg.dd281c86758f6f08a27eae3a4c739c84.jpeg

16 games in.

6th place, 2 points ahead of Fulham, 3 ahead of Wednesday.

We’ve also only played 7 at home (I think our home form is improving too) and 9 away.

Unbeaten in 4 after the reverse at Luton...2 wins, 2 draws...is a good response.  You can’t be fussy who you get your points against.  Had we won last week and drew today, we’d still have the same points, yet this seems more satisfying.

The hope is now that with players returning from injury we cement our place in the top 6.

Ah but where do the all important XG tables have us? I have been led to believe that this is the KPI we all must adhere too. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think you're under selling it @Robbored , we have done brilliantly to be where we are, with the injuries we have had to cope with, nothing short of amazing really.  I do agree it means nothing just yet but praise where praise is due, great effort so far.

I agree that given the injuries that City have done well to be in an excellent position after 16 games.

My comment is simply a realistic one - we’re not Swindon fans after all.........:cool2:

I’m as optimistic as any City fan but not getting too carried away with just a third of the season gone so far.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with you Dave. Whilst it certainly didn't seem to me like a point gained at the final whistle at Barnsley game (!) it most definitely does feel like a massive 3 points today. And very satisfying. 28 from 16 is a very decent return.

What's needed for promotion is to turn those Wigan and Barnsley draws into wins. Which should be perfectly possible.

Good to see Nagy back today.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

plus rovers could only manage a draw against a non league team with a crowd of under 4000

FOREVER IN OUR SHADOW 

We desperately need Afobe back, or a decent replacement in January. Then I think we have a very decent chance of the top 2

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

We desperately need Afobe back, or a decent replacement in January. Then I think we have a very decent chance of the top 2

Thought I heard a rumour that Arsenal were think8ng if recalling Nketiah in Jan as he isn’t playing enough. Did I dream that?

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Notoriously difficult to sign good strikers in the summer let alone in January. I think we'll either have to take a massive gamble on an unfancied/soon to be out of contract player (the Diony) or bring one of our loanees back if we have that option. Failing that either Semenyeo, Rodri or Marley Watkins will have to start looking the part.

28 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Yet we are 4th highest scorers and have more goals than Leeds, Swansea and Forest. It's the number we have conceded that is keeping us out of the top 2. More clean sheets could be at least as important as a striker 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Thought I heard a rumour that Arsenal were think8ng if recalling Nketiah in Jan as he isn’t playing enough. Did I dream that?

There were a lot of comments, innuendos , and some wishful thinking, can't see it myself.
I did read Arsenal were not happy at his lack of game time, I read they even had representatives at a game he didn't play in. I also read they have a call back clause and I think that's where the rumours come from. Would be a big call, although I think unless he was a complete dud (unlikely) he would be guaranteed more minutes here than at Leeds. 
Would be very good for us, could be good for him, personally still don't see it though.

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yet we are 4th highest scorers and have more goals than Leeds, Swansea and Forest. It's the number we have conceded that is keeping us out of the top 2. More clean sheets could be at least as important as a striker 

Percisely this, had we had Kalas, Nagy and Dasilva avaliable for the season up till now, I'm positive we'd have conceded a few less.

Goals aren't so much a problem at the moment, we just need to get our injured back, match fit and firing.

• Like 3

We lost 4 points totally crap, against Wigan and Barnsley, with that points we could be 2nd. We do not have a great football on the pitch, and sometimes luck is with us sometimes against us. We need our players back and at least 2 transfers during the winter window. A striker is a must. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

With you there CP.  Today we didn’t give up too many good chances.  Bentley positioned well for a Bogle header in first half, and he would’ve got the one Pereira blocked.

Of course they rattled two long shots off the bar....but Bentley had little to do.

DCCA7673-F82A-4E9B-A3A9-612AAA643754.thumb.jpeg.eb427ef9074fc98f5afa49b7c3e666e6.jpeg

Yes, we scored a worldie, but Nelson’s block on O’Dowda, as good as Williams on Hoilett (???) also.

We looked pretty solid (normally I’m really nervous watching us on the telly).  Kalas will be firing after the break, Nagy will be more efficient with the ball in front of them too.  Moore will probably rotate with Baker based on opponent / home or away, etc.

Things looking good.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

With you there CP.  Today we didn’t give up too many good chances.  Bentley positioned well for a Bogle header in first half, and he would’ve got the one Pereira blocked.

Of course they rattled two long shots off the bar....but Bentley had little to do.

DCCA7673-F82A-4E9B-A3A9-612AAA643754.thumb.jpeg.eb427ef9074fc98f5afa49b7c3e666e6.jpeg

Yes, we scored a worldie, but Nelson’s block on O’Dowda, as good as Williams on Hoilett (???) also.

We looked pretty solid (normally I’m really nervous watching us on the telly).  Kalas will be firing after the break, Nagy will be more efficient with the ball in front of them too.  Moore will probably rotate with Baker based on opponent / home or away, etc.

Things looking good.

Yeah we didn't see the balls flashing across our goal mouth this time! Them hitting the wood work was from range so not like we've given them chances. It felt more controlled even if we were sloppy at times (Bentley's kicking, scuffed clearances etc)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mihai said:

We lost 4 points totally crap, against Wigan and Barnsley, with that points we could be 2nd. We do not have a great football on the pitch, and sometimes luck is with us sometimes against us. We need our players back and at least 2 transfers during the winter window. A striker is a must. 

Every team from 4th to around 12th will be saying the same. This is an incredibly tough league. We all know we need a striker in Jan, it's getting the right one that's the problem.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Have to get a goalscorer in Jan...

Easier said than done unfortunately but no doubt the entire recruitment team have been on the case since Afobe got injured.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

True, but the point therefor still valid they had we had afobe I feel we would have scored more and therefor conceding would not be as much an issue. 

Same equation however.

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

FOREVER IN OUR SHADOW 

Aw c'mon, be fair, they were up against the mighty Bromley.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Things looking good.

I know what you mean- usually it's nervous on the telly and also you'd expect a late battering by Cardiff to try and salvage the game.

There wasn't really one of those and in no small part, it was down to our general compactness and game management IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

2 defeats in 16, with the injuries we've had is absolutely monumental, manager and players deserve an awful lot of praise.

Up the ******* City.

And 1 game since the last calls for Johnson to be sacked.

• Haha 7

I was going to post saying I would like to see us keeping a few more clean sheets, but then thought i'd just have a little look at the rest of the top 6 for comparison.

Clean sheets kept so far this season the by current top 6;

West Brom - 4

Preston - 4

Leeds - 8

Swansea - 5

Forest - 5

City - 4

So with the obvious exception of Leeds, there's not much in it. Goes to show just how competitive this league really is. When you also consider that we've lost Webster and had Kalas and Dasilva out injured for long periods of time, I can really see us pushing on. First away clean sheet yesterday, especially at a place we've historically struggled at, should do us the power of good.

• Like 1

The table looks brilliant for City at the moment, and I'm 100% convinced we'll be in the top six come the end of the season.

And what a cracker of a game next v Nott's Forest - 6th v 5th, both level on points, should be a fantastic game.

11 hours ago, Ian M said:

And what is it, 14 games since we were able to field an actual left back?

I'd be interested to know how many minutes our most frequent back line has played together. I'd bet it's not many. I don't even think I could name it. Rowe & Moore are the only two I'd be sure on. 

Great to see- and with the injuries clearing up, the baseline performances will improve.

On that last point, I still have a certain level of faith in xG models- but having given it some thought, a big factor it doesn't- indeed can't- factor in is injuries.

11 hours ago, Ian M said:

And what is it, 14 games since we were able to field an actual left back?

Fair play to Rowe though. He's done alright considering that's not his natural position. He hasn't let anyone down TBH.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair play to Rowe though. He's done alright considering that's not his natural position. He hasn't let anyone down TBH.

I'd say hes done better than alright. Improved defensively and offers something going forward. He frequently will drift inside to make space for others down his side. One of best signings when it comes to value.

• Like 2

Good thing is the perennial challengers such as Boro and Derby are struggling. The lowest I can see us finishing is 10th as we are surely better than the block of teams around QPR Birmingham etc

It's the home form that still concerns me. LJ seems to have the away form sorted but still appears to be clueless on his line up and formation at home.

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

Yep, top six in the * S . B. C. cant be bad at this stage... COYR's

*😎

Edited by WhistleHappy
  • Haha 1

Because playing away can be easier and provide more space. 

Our style is not a dominant one or not one that gives off a dominant aura, intent. Probably been this way since spring 2018.

It can be quite counterattack minded,  reactive even. Brings about serious difficulties at home or can do anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

A week or two ago people were saying anyone down to 16 was in with a shot at automatic promotion.

While teams can climb rapidly with a good run, I think the automatic places now are going to teams in the current top 10 (still wide open though). With 10th place now being 6 points behind 6th, a gap between the top sides and the rest is slowly being made. 

We have done very well to be where we are with all the selection issues we have had, hopefully with players returning we can push on and maybe be a part of the breakaway 2 or 3 sides that tend to appear after Christmas.

37 minutes ago, Super said:

It's the home form that still concerns me. LJ seems to have the away form sorted but still appears to be clueless on his line up and formation at home.

Home form this season is P7 W3 D3 L1.

Over 1.7 points per game, otherwise known as playoff form.

Amazing with such a clueless manager...

• Aubergine 1

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A week or two ago people were saying anyone down to 16 was in with a shot at automatic promotion.

While teams can climb rapidly with a good run, I think the automatic places now are going to teams in the current top 10 (still wide open though). With 10th place now being 6 points behind 6th, a gap between the top sides and the rest is slowly being made. 

We have done very well to be where we are with all the selection issues we have had, hopefully with players returning we can push on and maybe be a part of the breakaway 2 or 3 sides that tend to appear after Christmas.

Sometimes one to emerge from the pack.

Fulham in 2017/18 taking it to the last day from nowhere the obvious one.

Last season though it was slightly different, Sheffield United had standard top 6 contention of 38 points from 23 games- looked a lot like it'd be Leeds and Norwich,  with WBA the next realistic challengers- 9 and 10 points off the top, still haviung to go away to the top 3.

They did it though, got 2nd and in contention for the title until the final day!

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

How many of those have we played well in? 

5 minutes ago, Super said:

How many of those have we played well in? 

Playing well and form are two very different things. Though based on the fact that you felt petty enough to 'aubergine' my post that completely disproved what you said about form, that difference is too nuanced for you.

Though off the top of my head we played quite well against QPR, and played very well in the second half- particularly the last 20-25 minutes- against Charlton.

Edited by JamesBCFC
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sometimes one to emerge from the pack.

Fulham in 2017/18 taking it to the last day from nowhere the obvious one.

Last season though it was slightly different, Sheffield United had standard top 6 contention of 38 points from 23 games- looked a lot like it'd be Leeds and Norwich,  with WBA the next realistic challengers- 9 and 10 points off the top, still haviung to go away to the top 3.

They did it though, got 2nd and in contention for the title until the final day!

As I said, "while teams can climb rapidly with a good run..."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Otherwise known as 15th in the home league table.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Playing well and form are two very different things. Though based on the fact that you felt petty enough to 'aubergine' my post that completely disproved what you said about form, that difference it too nuanced for you.

Though off the top of my head we played quite well against QPR, and played very well in the second half- particularly the last 20-25 minutes- against Charlton.

So that's 1.5 games out of 7. For the record I don't think we were very good against QPR.

Edited by Super