IGNORED

Match Report: City Promised A Response & Delivered

Olé

After their stuttering form since the last international break City came away from a blown three points at Barnsley a week ago "angry" and looking for a result - and they delivered in the Severnside Derby with an energetic, committed and ultimately well deserved 1-0 win away at rivals Cardiff.

It was the visitors first result in the Welsh capital since 2002 and it was won off the back of robust defending led by Ashley Williams, and a quick-thinking, all action midfield led by match winner Brownhill, at the heart of his busy supporting act from O'Dowda, Watkins, Pereira and Rowe.

The contrast in styles couldn't have been more stark as a slicker City moved the ball better but always susceptible from Cardiff long balls forward - twice giving the hosts a spell of pressure from which they hit the crossbar from range in either half, only for Brownhill to show them how it was done.

City came into the game acknowledging an aerial threat by replacing Moore with Baker at the back, and there was a long awaited return for Adam Nagy at the base of City's midfield, presumably tasked with stemming the invention of predecessor Marlon Pack, one of 3 ex Johnson players.

True to the City manager's word, the away side raced out of the blocks at a freezing cold Cardiff stadium, by far the quicker to settle in midfield, winning first balls across the midfield and producing overlaps from both wing backs to good effect right in front of their boisterous away following.

After just 8 minutes Pereira did brilliantly to step away from a marker and release Weimann on the right, his cross was cut out but Brownhill recovered and this time set Rowe away on the left, from where his driven low cross was cut out for a corner to be taken by the sell out away corner.

From the resulting set piece Brownhill and O'Dowda combined on the touchline to toy with Cardiff, exchanging passes to create room before another fierce cross into the crowded box was turned just past the far post by Williams, with visiting fans in good voice anticipating an early City lead.

On 13 minutes that man Brownhill robbed the ball in midfield and his quick thinking through ball for Watkins put the keeper under pressure, his low clearance snared by Brownhill, squaring to Watkins whose first time finish was blocked and from the rebound the makeshift striker skyed over.

That should have been City's first as the goal was gaping at the second attempt, but it would be harsh to criticise Watkins - who gave everything, a constant nuisance for Cardiff, indeed minutes later he looked every bit the target man as he held up a direct ball and was hacked down by Pack.

At the midway point in the half wing back Pereira danced away from a Cardiff tackle and fed O'Dowda who strode through the midfield in space before finding Rowe on the left, who ran in on goal, cut inside and laid it back across the box for O'Dowda to curl just over from City's stunning counter.

It had been largely one way traffic but just inside the half hour Cardiff began to settle - a well worked probing move around the box saw Tomlin lift a ball far post for Bogle to head straight at Bentley. The pressure continued and from a half cleared corner Hoilett fired onto the bar from 25 yards.  

City might have rued not capitalising on a dominant start as their more direct hosts grew in confidence, but on 38 the visitors produced the move of the half, Watkins and O'Dowda combining on the left, then Pereira and Brownhill on the right, before crossing for Weimann to flash a header wide.

After half time this time it was Cardiff who found their feet first and City who failed to settle - within minutes both Williams and Nagy flung last gasp boots at crosses to each turn behind for corners as pressure mounted - Pack booed and clapped as he took each kick in front of the away fans.

The former City man was now running the midfield and with the visitors sitting deep and looking a shadow of the fluid side that controlled spells in the first half, Rowe had to clatter Tomlin with the playmaker in space, and minutes later Bacuna had room to skid a long range shot onto the bar. 

Amazingly City could have gone in front at the hour mark and against the run of play - O'Dowda setting off on a weaving run at Cardiff's backtracking midfield and laying it left for Rowe who was able to thread a low return ball into the box at the second attempt, which O'Dowda nearly turned in.

Perhaps sensing the game was still there for City if only they could regain midfield fluidity and actually hold up and exchange the ball in the Cardiff half, Johnson sent on Palmer for the tireless Watkins, and the strength and vision of the away playmaker would provide the visitors a vital pivot.  

Already looking a different side, it was the midway point in the second half when the City substitute held the ball up, bringing Rowe into play, who ran on, cut inside and laid it back to Brownhill in space 30 yards out. From where Cardiff had twice hit the bar, the captain lasered into the top corner.

Pandemonium in the packed away end and with their fans singing loudly City now had their tails up. Minutes later they broke again and the marauding Brownhill drove forward waiting for support before picking a pass for Pereira who crossed for Weimann to steer a low shot at the keeper.

With Palmer now providing Brownhill with a much needed outlet - his strength and control in front of home fans effortless at times - City rarely looked uncomfortable the rest of the game, although Nagy and the defence earned the result by winning everything Cardiff threw at them. 

In the end an utterly deserved three points for a side that while short on end product was by far the more committed across the pitch, clearly drilled on reverses and exchanges to move the ball quickly, and in Brownhill had an unstoppable force at the heart of a midfield that never stopped running.

Bentley 7 Touch of the Fielding with one kick but handling faultless as usual 

Baker 8 Won everything in air and on floor

Kalas 8 See Baker

Williams 9 See Baker plus really wanted it and a nuisance at both ends 

Pereira 7 Really good first half, potential for man of the match but became careless towards end and rightly switched for Moore

Rowe 7 Like Pereira when we played well it owed much to our ability to get the wing backs overlapping, felt he was a bit exposed towards the end of the first half and start of the second 

Nagy 7 His role gives Brownhill and O'Dowda much more freedom which makes them much better attacking players. A few rusty touches but tidied up wherever he could.

Brownhill 9 From the word go he led by example, chased every second ball, had a smart touch or pass in mind whenever he was under pressure, kept us ticking over and oozed confidence after his goal

O'Dowda 7 Played brilliantly in his link up with Brownhill first half, can be a real threat running at people, but equally we saw second half how frustrating he can be as he didn't capitalise on dangerous positions 

Watkins 7 Perhaps a sentimental rating based on low expectations but I thought he was brilliant, a nuisance who won the ball well and brought others into play. Should have scored too.

Weimann 6 Seems weird saying it given he works harder than anyone but thought he was our weakest player well marked out of it up front 

Palmer 8 His introduction was decisive, few players with combination of strength and quality on the ball - and extras points for grinning at and winding up home fans on the half way line 

Moore 7 Did what he needed to - won the only header aimed at him

On the eve of the third international break of the season, I think we owe much of our sixth place to Bentley. The goalkeeper we've wanted for years.

An exceptional signing - credit to the City staff who brought him in from Brentford.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Ordinarily Ole your ratings aren’t far out, but today you’re getting carried away with the result. We were poor all over. Except for Williams. 

Considering we ran the game for the first 20-25 minutes, kept a clean sheet, had several breakaways and scored a worldie, I just can't see how you can be right there...

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Considering we ran the game for the first 20-25 minutes, kept a clean sheet, had several breakaways and scored a worldie, I just can't see how you can be right there...

Agreed- though I think some of the ratings were a bit generous!

The good thing is, that we can see this side has more to give- both in terms of players returning from injury, perhaps a replacement for Afobe and other ways. Not just that but depth- depth is key. Not only as teams will get injuries- us more than many in recent years- but also that it drives competition, standards- excellence.

So yes, great win, a number of strong individual performances but exciting because this team, squad should only get better- this season I mean.

I didn't see the game but listened to a decent chunk of it on the radio. It sounded like we were being dominated, with Cardiff having several chances. Then I came on here and saw loads of people saying LJ desperately needed to change things as Cardiff were going to score any minute. Seconds later, Brownhill scored a worldie, which knocked the stuffing out of the home team. So based on all of that, it sounds like the OP's write-up may be a tad generous?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed- though I think some of the ratings were a bit generous!

The good thing is, that we can see this side has more to give- both in terms of players returning from injury, perhaps a replacement for Afobe and other ways. Not just that but depth- depth is key. Not only as teams will get injuries- us more than many in recent years- but also that it drives competition, standards- excellence.

So yes, great win, a number of strong individual performances but exciting because this team, squad should only get better- this season I mean.

Well Watkins was crap so that's one! But the whole defence did an excellent job and at times Brownhill, O'Dowda and Weimann played some good stuff on the ball.

13 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Watkins a 5 at best - adds next to nothing.

Proved an awkward opponent for Flint and Nelson today.  Worked hard, to harass defenders into hurried clearances.  Provided a physical challenge so that the likes of Weimann and O’Dowda didn’t need to get involved in that stuff...allowing them to play their game.  Got fouled a few times

Much more to his game today than what he did on the ball.  Had Brownhill laid a better ball back to him, he might’ve opened the scoring.

I think his teammates and the management team may think he contributed more than you thought.

Out of interest, were you there or watching it on telly (I watched it on telly).

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Proved an awkward opponent for Flint and Nelson today.  Worked hard, to harass defenders into hurried clearances.  Provided a physical challenge so that the likes of Weimann and O’Dowda didn’t need to get involved in that stuff...allowing them to play their game.  Got fouled a few times

Much more to his game today than what he did on the ball.  Had Brownhill laid a better ball back to him, he might’ve opened the scoring.

I think his teammates and the management team may think he contributed more than you thought.

Out of interest, were you there or watching it on telly (I watched it on telly).

TV. I really don’t rate him but sadly was best option today that we had there simply because he will at least put himself about more than a Rodri or Semenyo would against Flint etc. 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

TV. I really don’t rate him but sadly was best option today that we had there simply because he will at least put himself about more than a Rodri or Semenyo would against Flint etc. 

Forget whether you rate him or not....judge today’s performance, the context of his role, who he was up against, away from home, etc.

Then ask yourself, did he do a reasonable job for the team?

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting he was one of our better players today, but imho he did a job that allowed others to play.  He earned his wages today in my view.

....and I reckon Weimann prefers Watkins up front to Fam!!!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Proved an awkward opponent for Flint and Nelson today.  Worked hard, to harass defenders into hurried clearances.  Provided a physical challenge so that the likes of Weimann and O’Dowda didn’t need to get involved in that stuff...allowing them to play their game.

Spot on Dave

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Anyone want to mark LJ out of ten?

7 for me, tinkered with the selections well to address the aerial threat, but was possibly too slow to make a positive change in the second half.

Can't argue with a win however!

7 or 8.  Got it right today.

One of the few games this season we started with a back 5 and didn’t drastically change it.  Importantly the 3 CBs that started and were well adjusted to the pace of the game and their opponents runs, tricks, etc, stayed on the pitch as a 3....and defended well.

26 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Watkins a 5 at best - adds next to nothing.

7 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

At the game he was a different beast than how he’d have looked on TV. Was a real nuisance. Won a lot off of Flint and kept him occupied, could’ve had a goal too. Im nowhere near his biggest fan but no chance he was a 5/10 today. One of our more focal points for the whole first half 

2 minutes ago, Der no.2 said:

Spot on Dave

Ta. I said earlier this season if our WBs getting 5 or 6/10 every game allows the other 8 or 9 players to be 7 or 8/10 each week, then that’s fine.  Sometimes you need a player or two to do dirty work to allow others to flourish.  Watkins for me has been that player today and Barnsley.

Its doesn't help that he’s not a good player on the eye, but you can bet your bottom dollar, Flint and Nelson we’re glad when he was subbed off.  Although a fresh Palmer is a different challenge.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Forget whether you rate him or not....judge today’s performance, the context of his role, who he was up against, away from home, etc.

Then ask yourself, did he do a reasonable job for the team?

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting he was one of our better players today, but imho he did a job that allowed others to play.  He earned his wages today in my view.

....and I reckon Weimann prefers Watkins up front to Fam!!!

I don’t think he had a good game as I’ve said - didnt hold the ball up often and gave it away. 

So yeh I’d stand by my 5 for him - be so good to have Fammy back next game. A player who actually scores regularly for us. 

I really doubt Weimann prefers Watkins but guess no one knows without asking him - why would you want a non scoring striker who hardly ever plays...no idea why LJ signed him tbh. There’s a reason he’s been nowhere near even the bench for a year. 

11 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I don’t think he had a good game as I’ve said - didnt hold the ball up often and gave it away. 

So yeh I’d stand by my 5 for him - be so good to have Fammy back next game. A player who actually scores regularly for us. 

I really doubt Weimann prefers Watkins but guess no one knows without asking him - why would you want a non scoring striker who hardly ever plays...no idea why LJ signed him tbh. There’s a reason he’s been nowhere near even the bench for a year. 

Watched the game on TV so maybe I missed a lot of what he did BUT, what I did see was awful.

16 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

....and that’s fine....all about having opinions.  Dull around here either. ??

Archived