IGNORED

Best Value For Money?

Port Said Red

Just saw a quote from LJ saying that Josh Brownhill must be one of the best Value players in City history. At the level we are at it’s a reasonable call, but at other periods in our history, we have had a few bargains.
ignoring early periods of history, who would you put in that list?

I immediately thought of the last side to get us to the top division, the whole group cost less than £100k to assemble. 
On an individual level, Adam Locke was a free transfer and I think Mickey Bell might have been as well? I think we paid about £50k for Scott Murray too?

There are probably others to be added.

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just saw a quote from LJ saying that Josh Brownhill must be one of the best Value players in City history. At the level we are at it’s a reasonable call, but at other periods in our history, we have had a few bargains.

I immediately thought of the last side to get us to the top division, the whole group cost less than £100k to assemble. 
On an individual level, Adam Locke was a free transfer and I think Mickey Bell might have been as well? I think we paid about £50k for Scott Murray too?

Factor in inflation- both football related and actual- plus it was a very different game- so yeah and no- but we had the 3rd highest wage bill in the country at one point in the top flight.

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'd agree with Wilbs - what a signing. You'd go a long way to beat Alan Walsh...who we practically stole from Darlington - £10k was it?

If I remember rightly (and I rarely do) They wanted £30k and we offered £20k. When we went to tribunal, Cooper pointed out how little Darlington were paying him, and the tribunal set the valuation at £18k :) 

Depends on if you mean resale value or what they brought to the team in their time here. Brownhill is both imo. He has worked his way up to captain as a 250k signing. Played his part in taking us from a relegation type side to a playoff type side. Had moments of importance in every season. Remember an assist away ruining Brighton’s promotion party and costing them the league. 

Also probably worth at least 10m on the market if we to realistically sell him. So 40x his cost at minimum. Don’t think you will find many better. 

Flint and Pack up there too. Pack less so because of his transfer value which would also hold Korey back. What they have brought on the pitch probably slightly more than Josh but the value of Josh now takes him a few notches higher imo. 

Kodjia and Webster were good investments but didn’t stay long enough to be best value for the club. 

Guess the dream is 200 appearances then a big transfer fee. Obviously if we go up that changes things for this discussion but think at the moment Josh is best value for money in recent years. 

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If I remember rightly (and I rarely do) They wanted £30k and we offered £20k. When we went to tribunal, Cooper pointed out how little Darlington were paying him, and the tribunal set the valuation at £18k :) 

Thought it was £90k, and tribunal set at £18k.

44 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Korey Smith at 400k has to be up there. 

Was a bit more than that as Liam Kelly went the other way and was said to be £250k...so £650k.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Cast your mind back to verse two of the Mickey Bell song....

It was a fee set by tribunal.

Archived