IGNORED

Best Value For Money?

Port Said Red

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Just saw a quote from LJ saying that Josh Brownhill must be one of the best Value players in City history. At the level we are at it’s a reasonable call, but at other periods in our history, we have had a few bargains.
ignoring early periods of history, who would you put in that list?

I immediately thought of the last side to get us to the top division, the whole group cost less than £100k to assemble. 
On an individual level, Adam Locke was a free transfer and I think Mickey Bell might have been as well? I think we paid about £50k for Scott Murray too?

There are probably others to be added.

Alan Walsh...£18000. Darlington well pissed off.

Niki Maenpaa is right up there. Just about the best goalie I've seen for us, but Bentley may be level or even above that now. But for a free, Niki was an incredible signing.

Brownhill maybe the best for a free. When looking at more recent windows we have really made.some incredible signings. Dasilva 2m? Bentley 2m? Weimann 2m? Hunt 1.5m? These are cheap prices for very good players.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

How much was paid for Jimmy Mann?

Free transfer. You beat me to him.

I'd also add John Shaw, also free from Leeds.

And what about Chris Garland coming back from Leicester?

And after the 1982 fiasco, Forbes Phillipson-Masters, Glyn Riley, Alan Crawford, Steve Neville.

In 1954, Tommy Burden.

There are so many that have arrived at City and given us of their best, to mention. But as a final two, how about Big John and Jimmy Rogers, the last pairing to get over SIXTY GOALS in one season.

58 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Suppose, as it hasn't been mentioned yet, that lad who put Korey in for that 'IT'S SMIIIIIITH' moment, shortly before the roof coming off as Ashton Gate.

Matty something. 300k from some tent dwelling nomads with delusional aspirations.

BARGAIN!

Getting a £10m striker for £300,000 is great business

Or how about Best Value Trophy Winning Squad. - £60k cash outlay all in including subs. - Freight Rover vs Bolton must be up there.

It did include some p/ex's, frees, and I assume Terry Cooper's large Photograph Collection to Blackmail Tribunal Members with.

At almost a third of the cost of the squad, 18k on Walshy alone is starting to look a bit expensive.

14 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Bias due to their success as a squad but-

fielding £200k?

little free

ayling £500k? Tribunal?

flint £300k

williams free

pack £90k

smith £650k (inc £250k for Kelly)

freeman £500k?

wilbs free

jet free

wade Elliot. Free

all very shrewd investments. 
Baldock sold for £2m

Keith Curle cost around £10,000 from Torquay and was at that time a Gas reject who was a mediocre right winger.  Terry Cooper converted him into a classy central defender who was brilliant for us, but went on to become the most expensive defender in English football when he signed for Man. City. Eventually played for England in the Swedish Euros of 1992, did not go that well, manly due to Graham Taylor sticking him at right back, which was not a role that suited him.  

Another that I don't think has been mentioned was Jonathan Kodjia, who had a great season for us and we certainly cashed in big time, a bit like Webster. Also Albert was a fantastic bit of business.

Archived